“A very nice place with lovely ambience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chez Bruce

Chez Bruce
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Bruce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“A very nice place with lovely ambience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Gave it 4 out of 5 in all categories purely due to both the starters and mains being way too salty. Apart from that excellent friendly and efficient service. Food was beautifully presented and cooked. Lovely location just by Wandsworth Common. You must go if u live locally.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Somewhere between very good and excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

A lovely meal was had at Chez Bruce for my girlfriend's birthday in January.

I had the fishcakes with curried mussels and coriander for my starter, which was one of the most vibrant plates I have ever eaten. My girlfriend had the tuna nicoise which was also very good.

For our main courses we both had the turbot with scallops and a seafood beurre blanc. It was a delicious and comforting plate of food, immaculately presented.

For deserts my girlfriend had the cheese board which was her personal favourite. I don't eat cheese and found it smelly! I had the caramel millefueille (spelling!) which looked amazing but fell apart easily and was probably my least favourite of the courses.

The food was excellent and tasted special. I did find the atmosphere ever so slightly stuffy and our tables were crammed in a bit too tight. A lovely evening though, with very few complaints.

• Visited January 2012
Bedfordshire
“Super food ,Super Service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

We were staying South of the River for a few days this week. We had been to Chez Bruce many years ago and had enjoyed it so we decided to try it again.
We had a Super super meal the chips with our Lobster were a delight in themselves. We had such a good time we returned the next day, staff were friendly and attentive never intrusive but cheerful and knowledgable .We hope we do not take so long to make a return trip.

London
“Great Place, shame about the location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I think I prefer La Trompette, its a touch cheaper and the food is on an equal (and excellent) par. Thing is when you get to wandsworth common you feel a little in limbo, its a lovely green space but has an air of the nowehere that pervades through to the clientelle of Chez Bruce. Compared to it's sister restaurants it's a little sleepy and comparatively overpriced. Don't get me wrong, the food and service were excellent and the choice of wine was perfect but

but
but
I guess if you live in Wandsworth common it's your cup of tea but I prefer somewhere with a little more life.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I hope you like Almonds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

Chez Bruce is local to us, and we finally sampled it at Saturday lunch.

The restaurant was not full, but this was unsurprising as they've really packed it out with tables. If, as we were, you get one of the quite small tables for two along the wall (at which you're seated at a right angle to your chum), your legs touch. This would be very unnerving if you did not know each other well, for example at a business lunch. Thankfully, on this occasion, it was something of a bonus if anything.

The staff were well balanced in attentiveness and they seemed to be in surplus. However, they did ply us with £4-a bottle water. I don't care if this is a Michelin star restaurant; it is courteous to bring tap water unless your diners specifically request mineral water.

The food was... good. Very good. But it didn't sing to me. And two of my three dishes were sprinkled with almonds. Dozens of them. Perhaps the restaurant had a surplus of them, too.

I'm not sure if we'll be back; there are so many great restaurants in the area now. Even the Wheatsheaf pub at Tooting Bec does incredible food these days - and for a fifth of the price.

1 Thank Massive G