“High Quality Cuisine”

Price range: US$ 32 - US$ 51
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Named in celebration of Victoria Dock's original identity, the Lands End restaurant serves the finest food in surroundings to match your mood. Executive Head Chef, Pawel Motzek, makes creative use of the best ingredients to provide signature dishes that draw from the best of British with Asian and Mediterranean influences.
Reviewed 24 September 2018

My wife and I and two of our grandchildren had dinner here on a Saturday evening and what a great meal we had.
The restaurant was very full but service was personal and attentive. We had some excellent scallops and carpaccio of beef to start followed by Turbot and rib eye steak. The chef Paul Hegley excelled himself particularly with the main courses which had great flavour. The Turbot was served with seasonal vegetables cooked in a light broth that tasted superb. The beurre blanc sauce complemented this dish very well. The steaks came with bearnaise sauce and vegetables and again the flavour was outstanding. One of our grandchildren had chicken and unusually for children’s menus you could taste a really good flavour of chicken.
We were too full to have desserts except for the children who had sorbets. There is a good wine list with bottles starting at £28. Overall this is a kitchen that uses good quality ingredients, cooked to perfection that make the dining experience such a pleasure. We would recommend dining here if you are in the locality.

3  Thank JulianP531

Reviewed 24 September 2018

I booked Afternoon Tea on the Sunborn for my friend's birthday. Upon arriving there were 2 people behind the desk, and a sign asking us to wait to be seated... and wait we did! The staff didn't even acknowledge us, and it was a bit awkward while we stood there. After a good 5 minute wait we were then seated.
There were 3 choices of Afternoon Tea, with different sandwiches but all of the cakes were the same. We both chose the Under the Sea option, with Champagne. The tea and Champagne were both lovely.
They bought out one Under the Sea tea and one Vegetarian tea, so we sent them back as we'd both ordered Under the Sea. When this came out it looked great, but perhaps not quite what we'd expected for the cost. In any case, we made a start!
The sandwich fillings were absolutely wonderful - they tasted so good and we were told we could have more of any of them if we wanted, which was great. However, the bread was stale. Like HARD stale. We didn't finish the sandwiches because of this, but when a Waiter came over to ask if we'd like anymore we did mention to him that we thought they were stale. He looked a bit insulted but told us that they had been made that morning, almost with a 'what do you expect' kind of attitude, like of course they'll be stale!
We moved on to the scones, which we struggled cutting as they were so hard.
We then moved onto the cakes. There was a cream filled cone, and the wafer was soggy. At this point we decided that overall is was pretty poor. You can forgive one thing, possibly two, but when everything you try is of a poor standard then it's not okay. We looked at the rest of the cakes, and they all looked like they were from a Supermarket, not made on site as you would expect.
We decided to speak to a member of staff, but nobody came over. After 30 minutes I managed to get the Waitresses attention, and we explained the issues to her. She was very polite but said that unfortunately it was beyond her control to offer anything other than more sandwiches, which were made at the same time as the others so would still be stale. She then got her Supervisor who was the Waiter who had already told us that the cakes were made in the morning.
He said he couldn't do anything as we'd touched it! He said if we had concerns then we should have told them before we touched it and ate anything. We pointed out that the issue is with the quality (or lack of) which we couldn't ascertain until we had tried it. He told us that all he was willing to do was offer us 15% off but that's it. We said it wasn't good enough, and he kept saying that we'd touched it. We pointed out that we'd told him earlier that we weren't happy with the sandwiches, but he said we shouldn't have then touched anything else. We explained that it was the accumulation of issues, where we've tried a bit of everything and it's consistently bad. He then offered us 25% off, but we still weren't happy. The way he was handling the situation was really bad, and we didn't like arguing with him in front of everyone. He asked what I wanted as a discount, but I said I didn’t feel it was right bartering like we were in a Moroccan market! I then said to leave it and I would write a formal complaint, and he then said he would give us 50% off but that’s it.
It's a real shame that things weren’t better – it has the potential to be amazing but unfortunately it was just disappointing. I wouldn’t return and I definitely wouldn’t recommend this place to anyone. It all looks a bit tired inside, the carpet is all creased up and lumpy and unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised if this closed within the next 12 months, which is really sad.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

My reviews are always honest and fair. So please don't think I complain frequently.
My husband treated me to two nights on board the Sunborn. We travelled down from Derbyshire. That I will review separately.
We ate out on our 1st night. The prices for food and drink are ridiculously extortionate.
Breakfast on the 1st morning was a cooked full English buffet, cakes and cereal and was very adequate. The venue is small and I did comment that had the yacht been full, I was unsure where every one would sit.
Later that day my Cousin and Partner arrived to stay on board for the one night. This was August Bank Holiday Weekend. Because it was raining we stayed on board that night and ordered two platters to share, plus 4 drinks. That was £120
Monday morning we had agreed to meet for breakfast at 9am. On arrival there was a very long queue to be seated. We we're, however, seated in about 10 minutes and told to help ourselves. We were asked what hot drinks we required. On approaching the very busy breakfast bar, people were asking the waiters, how much longer the hit food would be. They had run out of most items, and when the containers were replenished, there would only be approximately 6 to eight items put in, not a tray full. We got what we could, under the terrible circumstances and more food finally arrived - only to find they had run out of plates and they had no more of those to replace the last ones with. So people used bowls. So then they ran out for the cereal eaters. Meanwhile our hot drinks STILL hadn't arrived. I was so embarrassed having encouraged my family to join us.
As we were leaving I spike to the restaurant supervisor at her desk and asked if the afternoon tea we had booked later, would be better organised. She said she hoped so. So did I when it was costing £35 per person.
We returned for our sitting at 2.30 and asked if we could sit on the deck. The Supervisor did nt seen that keen but the waiter was very helpful.
He came to take our order, however I explained that we pre ordered the Under The Sea Afternoon Tea and the Traditional one, two weeks prior. He said they weren't aware but it wasn't a problem. He came back and took the tea orders.
The food arrived. I was shocked. It was a disaster on two lots of three plates. The presentation was dreadful and the sandwiches were stale.
I have posted the photos of what is on the website and we thought we would get and what we actually got. It false advertising! I asked to speak to the manager. I was so ashamed that again if encouraged my family to pay this Money for such a disgusting mishmash.
After waiting 20 minutes no manager came so I went from the deck to speak to the female supervisor, but she was on the phone. I showed the waiter the photos of what we were expecting. He said he'd been on board a year and had never seen anything presented like the photos showed. The Supervisor continued with her call and at no point did she cone to find out the problem.
After a further 10 minutes we decided to leave. My husband and family checked out who a I waited, for the infamous manager. Finally a young man appeared and sat with myself and my cousin to document our complaint. He said He wasn't a manager but was acting up in is their abcence. In a very controlled way I explained about the photos and what we were expecting for our £140.00 and whilst there, and had the opportunity, we both complained about the food and service at breakfast too.
He was very polite and apologised and said thast someone would get back to me within 48 hours.
Well readers, I delayed my review, to enable them to eight their wrong. However, that was over a month ago and we have heard absolutely nothing.
It's a great place to rest your head but eat at any one of the superb local restaurants at a 1/4 of the price. The Crown Plazza delivers the same menu does lot less. Most serve breakfasts too.... and now we know why!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

I have written to the company 5 times on an email address supplied by them, since June and still had no response. Went with a group of friends for a 50th Afternoon tea. Waited ages to be seated - though we had a booking and confirmation text they couldn't find it, waited ages for them to put 2 tables together, waited ages for drinks order to be taken. The waitress argued with me that she had brought apricot jam when it was actually marmalade - had to insist she took it back, she eventually agreed it was marmalade but they had no apricot jam. She did bring 2 tiny pots of blackcurrant jam she said she had taken from the breakfast supplies. How can you not have enough apricot jam for an afternoon tea when you know what the bookings are? scones were miniscule - half were fresh and lovely but the other half were stale - clearly left overs. Sandwiches were nice however shame there were only large cupcakes supplied.
Of greatest concern was that we were told we had underpaid and staff demanded an extra £20. we doublechecked and this was wrong - there was no apology or offer of a voucher. We had to take the note back as the staff were not going to give the money back - clearly a scam going on as we were not challenged at all.I would imagine this goes on at practically every table.
Would never go again and would never recommend. So disappointing that a large company does not bother to answer emails.
I am sorry I have to give even one star as I would like to give a zero.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

The restaurant itself is not entirely large, but you still have a sense of privacy when dining.

The food was fresh and very tasty. The service is also superb. Would recommend especially as the view from the restaurant is second to none.