“Ashamed!”

Price range: US$ 32 - US$ 51
Cuisines: International, British
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Named in celebration of Victoria Dock's original identity, the Lands End restaurant serves the finest food in surroundings to match your mood. Executive Head Chef, Pawel Motzek, makes creative use of the best ingredients to provide signature dishes that draw from the best of British with Asian and Mediterranean influences.
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

My reviews are always honest and fair. So please don't think I complain frequently.
My husband treated me to two nights on board the Sunborn. We travelled down from Derbyshire. That I will review separately.
We ate out on our 1st night. The prices for food and drink are ridiculously extortionate.
Breakfast on the 1st morning was a cooked full English buffet, cakes and cereal and was very adequate. The venue is small and I did comment that had the yacht been full, I was unsure where every one would sit.
Later that day my Cousin and Partner arrived to stay on board for the one night. This was August Bank Holiday Weekend. Because it was raining we stayed on board that night and ordered two platters to share, plus 4 drinks. That was £120
Monday morning we had agreed to meet for breakfast at 9am. On arrival there was a very long queue to be seated. We we're, however, seated in about 10 minutes and told to help ourselves. We were asked what hot drinks we required. On approaching the very busy breakfast bar, people were asking the waiters, how much longer the hit food would be. They had run out of most items, and when the containers were replenished, there would only be approximately 6 to eight items put in, not a tray full. We got what we could, under the terrible circumstances and more food finally arrived - only to find they had run out of plates and they had no more of those to replace the last ones with. So people used bowls. So then they ran out for the cereal eaters. Meanwhile our hot drinks STILL hadn't arrived. I was so embarrassed having encouraged my family to join us.
As we were leaving I spike to the restaurant supervisor at her desk and asked if the afternoon tea we had booked later, would be better organised. She said she hoped so. So did I when it was costing £35 per person.
We returned for our sitting at 2.30 and asked if we could sit on the deck. The Supervisor did nt seen that keen but the waiter was very helpful.
He came to take our order, however I explained that we pre ordered the Under The Sea Afternoon Tea and the Traditional one, two weeks prior. He said they weren't aware but it wasn't a problem. He came back and took the tea orders.
The food arrived. I was shocked. It was a disaster on two lots of three plates. The presentation was dreadful and the sandwiches were stale.
I have posted the photos of what is on the website and we thought we would get and what we actually got. It false advertising! I asked to speak to the manager. I was so ashamed that again if encouraged my family to pay this Money for such a disgusting mishmash.
After waiting 20 minutes no manager came so I went from the deck to speak to the female supervisor, but she was on the phone. I showed the waiter the photos of what we were expecting. He said he'd been on board a year and had never seen anything presented like the photos showed. The Supervisor continued with her call and at no point did she cone to find out the problem.
After a further 10 minutes we decided to leave. My husband and family checked out who a I waited, for the infamous manager. Finally a young man appeared and sat with myself and my cousin to document our complaint. He said He wasn't a manager but was acting up in is their abcence. In a very controlled way I explained about the photos and what we were expecting for our £140.00 and whilst there, and had the opportunity, we both complained about the food and service at breakfast too.
He was very polite and apologised and said thast someone would get back to me within 48 hours.
Well readers, I delayed my review, to enable them to eight their wrong. However, that was over a month ago and we have heard absolutely nothing.
It's a great place to rest your head but eat at any one of the superb local restaurants at a 1/4 of the price. The Crown Plazza delivers the same menu does lot less. Most serve breakfasts too.... and now we know why!

Reviewed 10 September 2018

I have written to the company 5 times on an email address supplied by them, since June and still had no response. Went with a group of friends for a 50th Afternoon tea. Waited ages to be seated - though we had a booking and confirmation text they couldn't find it, waited ages for them to put 2 tables together, waited ages for drinks order to be taken. The waitress argued with me that she had brought apricot jam when it was actually marmalade - had to insist she took it back, she eventually agreed it was marmalade but they had no apricot jam. She did bring 2 tiny pots of blackcurrant jam she said she had taken from the breakfast supplies. How can you not have enough apricot jam for an afternoon tea when you know what the bookings are? scones were miniscule - half were fresh and lovely but the other half were stale - clearly left overs. Sandwiches were nice however shame there were only large cupcakes supplied.
Of greatest concern was that we were told we had underpaid and staff demanded an extra £20. we doublechecked and this was wrong - there was no apology or offer of a voucher. We had to take the note back as the staff were not going to give the money back - clearly a scam going on as we were not challenged at all.I would imagine this goes on at practically every table.
Would never go again and would never recommend. So disappointing that a large company does not bother to answer emails.
I am sorry I have to give even one star as I would like to give a zero.

Reviewed 29 August 2018

The restaurant itself is not entirely large, but you still have a sense of privacy when dining.

The food was fresh and very tasty. The service is also superb. Would recommend especially as the view from the restaurant is second to none.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We took a couple of friends to Lands End Restaurant to celebrate my belated birthday and wedding anniversary, based on recommendation and the impressive website which seemed to advertise a la carte menu, exclusivity, class and strict dress code. We were however disappointed to note that residents of the onsite hotel were bound by the same dress code, as some were allowed to dine in shorts, Tee-shirts and flip-flops. We arrived early for our dinner booking so we decided to have pre-dinner drinks at the Sundown bar where bar waiters were all gathered, standing in front of the bar with their backs to the guests and pretending to be "busy". I had to get up from my seat twice to get their attention. I also found their manner quite cold.
However, the restaurant staff were completely different. They were attentive, welcoming and made our visit worthwhile. There was an initial hiccup when we were told that there was no a la carte service on a Sunday despite our reservation quite clearly stating the opposite. This was quickly solved when I showed them a copy our confirmed reservation. After dinner, we had drinks on the terrace, watching the sunset on the Victoria Docks waterside. All-in-all, they've got all the ingredients to be a superb venue - the yacht location, the terrace facing the waters of Victoria Docks and good food. They just need to brush up on their bar service and enforce the dress code that they advertise, giving the false impression of class and exclusivity!

Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

If I could have left a zero rating I would’ve done......but ‘terrible’ is the worst rating trip advisor allows so sadly I will have to over rate it at the level!!!
Where to start? We stayed on the sunborn as a group of 9, for a very special family birthday celebration. We booked well in advance, and phoned the restaurant to book the table, talk about the menu and request some sort of celebration cake or pudding. At no point were we told that as our visit was midweek there would be a set menu and no a la carte menu.

Half the restaurant was closed and we were shoe horned into the other half with many other miffed customers who to move chairs in and out you had to ask the person on the table behind to move first.

Four waiting staff were on duty, three of which stood in the corner for most of the evening chatting, the other was trying to please us and all the other customers but struggled.

The menu arrived 20 mins after we sat down, which was a set menu of 4 choices per course..... 3 plus a daily special on each. The waitress didn’t know what the specials were so got the supervisor (one of the three chatters), who also didn’t know what they were but promised and to find out (and never came back). Finally we were told that there were no specials available. The rest of the set menu was pub grub (mains choice of fish & chips, burger, steak plus veggie option of pesto gnocchi). Drinks orders were taken are 25 mins of being seated, and arrived after a further 15 mins.....we had drinks without glasses, ice without the drink to go with it and warm wine.
Starters finally arrived after an hour (by which time the fizz had gone out of our party spirit), all of which were on the below average side of ok.
Mains were just a disaster - f&c that tasted of burnt oil, gnocchi pesto which was literally a plate of gnocchi with a squirt of pre made pesto mixed in....no seasoning, no Parmesan, no taste at all. Steak - neither cooked as asked. Good enough burger, but still, a burger!!!!

Drinks continued to arrive late if at all, waitress continued to chat in a corner, and the food didn’t improve.

No atmosphere, no celebration cake or pudding as discussed and no acknowledgment of issues.

Four of us suffered bad tummy’s in the night.

So all in all......despite being a lovely hotel......shocking everything else. Such a shame as it ruined the birthday celebration and would never eat in the restaurant again or recommend it to anyone.