“Excellent food, passionate and knowledgeable hosts”

The Jasmine by Spice Nouv-Oh!
Ranked #449 of 24,420 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bangladeshi
Description: The Jasmine by Spice Nouv-Oh! formerly located on Shooters Hill is a Indo-Fusion restaurant and takeaway now located on the broadway. We specialise in healthy, fresh and fusion cooking of traditional indo-dishes with a modern twist. Our modus operandi is that all dishes are cooked to order, therefor ensuring perfectly balanced cuisine full of flavour. So come along and give Indian cuisine the Spice Nouv-Oh! way.
Reviewed 23 August 2015 via mobile

I grew up with authentic Indian food thanks to my Mum's third husband being Indian - and I love the rich flavours and pore-opening intensity of a robust curry. Having read about this place online and driving past it, nestled at the bottom of Shooters Hill, I was keen to give it a try.

I was a little disappointed when I rang to book and was informed it had moved premises - but accepted the 15 minute drive as worth it for a chance of a decent meal. Finding the new place we were a little disappointed as from the outside it didn't look anything special.

Once seated we nervously wondered if we hadn't perhaps wasted our time. The clean modern interior is a little bland, but is inoffensive and I guess let's the food speak for itself. The young ladies serving were a little sullen and although attentive didn't make us feel at all welcome.

The hosts were quite the opposite and fawned over us and the other customers to the point it was almost uncomfortable. They meant well and their passion for the food they produce was evident, however it was a little over the top and some of the food talk pretentious.

The menu offered both traditional and specialty options, but what intrigued us was their own creations and reinventions of some classic dishes.

Ordering a number of their own creations we were not disappointed and the food lived up to the hype. Both my starter and main were delicious and were original dishes that were well balanced in both flavour and spice. My main a fiery spinach dish was huge and I ended up taking half of it home.

My Partner is not a fan of spicy food and normally opts for a mild korma or chicken tikka. Our flamboyant host however had other ideas and took the time to ask about his likes and suggested an unusual sounding chicken dish cooked in a banana sauce. Convinced by the impassioned recommendation he decided with a little hesitation to follow the advice.

When his meal arrived the host advised that they had further changed the dish to incorporate other flavours which he felt he would enjoy - with the addition of lychees and pineapple. It wasn't to my taste, but that was the point - it was tailored to my Partners taste and he loved it. This level of service and attention to the customers palate and enjoyment was simply astounding.

There is no doubt that these guys really know their food and it really was the best Indian food I have eaten in the UK. I like that they offer the traditional dishes, but are brave enough to create new flavour combinations with a modern twist.

My only advice to the hosts would be to stay passionate, but perhaps trust the quality of the food to speak for itself and allow the customer to enjoy the journey of discovery.

We took home leftovers including the freshest and most delicious naan I have eaten since my Aunts used to cook for us. Smeared with butter and a few minutes under the grill and they made a delightful breakfast.

I hope to visit again soon and look forward to exploring the menu further.

1  Thank Kiwi_Ant
Al33M, General Manager at The Jasmine by Spice Nouv-Oh!, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Thank you Kiwi_Ant for the review, I along with my team look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 August 2015

Oh Dear!

What should I say about the experience at this place?

One evening, we decided to take a rather long walk to explore this restaurant as it was rated well. The owner, (or whoever served us sounded like the owner of the place as he was quite proud of the recipes) is a rather entertaining, interesting person with stark British humour. He is very polite, and tends to be theatrical about his work, in a humorous way though...hence, the experience overall has been memorable in that regard.

I have no complaints about how the restaurant is designed. I liked the music as it was from the 90s Hindi films thus adding to the way this place is decorated...It is dim lit, but warm enough. The service is good, the toilets however are horrid.

The food is below average, they have (as per the admission of the owner too) flooded the menu with a vast variety of curries which use the same flavour....for instance, I asked about the difference between two aloo sabjis that they had on the menu, and he could not explain the difference really. I cook, so I knew they were just making it all up to make the menu look good...hence I feel that's not the best way to have an elaborate menu.

I wouldn't boast about the food, but the service and the effort put in to be polite, and come across as a warm host is good enough....not sure if I would visit again but would still recommend for an amusing evening.

2  Thank NomadinLondon
Avdhal, General Manager at The Jasmine by Spice Nouv-Oh!, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Although, on this occasion I will argue that you chose the dishes that were mild and not suited to your palate (which I explained to you at the time of ordering).
Nonetheless, I am pleased that you found my passion to be entertaining and hope that you will give us chance to cater to your palate.

Reviewed 7 August 2015

Perfect combination of really lovely people and really delicious food. This is our favourite Indian style restaurant in the area. Food is very fresh and the menu is extensive. We've found there are some dishes we love, and some that are just so-so (but this is down to personal taste, nothing wrong with the dishes themselves). It's a little bit more expensive than comparable restaurants but if you don't want the house specialties and are happy to order the traditional dishes, it's very affordable to go for their set meals which still allow you to choose between a range of options. The people are lovely - they have a great sense of humour - and they seem to take pride in the food they serve. We recommend the Murghi Masala.

2  Thank fiona07

Thank you and hope you will visit or order from us again.

Please be advised that due to our increase in popularity we have relocated to a bigger restaurant 10 minutes away from Shooters Hill (on the same road, just further down).

Reviewed 5 March 2015 via mobile

This has to one of the best curry's I have had. Service and food were out of this world. We went for their own creations wow !! We will be back!

1  Thank POB C

OMG...what a review, thank you.
Come along and try our newest creations e.g Honey and Spinach Korma, Shashlik Halloumi Bhuna and the Jhaal Saag.

Reviewed 23 February 2015 via mobile

From the outside unassuming. But you are in for a treat. The menu is irrelevant. Listen and trust in your host and you experience authenticity with their twist! Very friendly staff and inexpensive. Warning though, it is addictive and you will be back!

2  Thank hippypunk66

Well, you are the best customer and reviewer around. Thank you very much and hope you will be in again soon.