“I'll be back! A more than satisfied Irish visitor.”
Review of LSE Passfield Hall

LSE Passfield Hall
Ranked #93 of 930 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at Passfield Hall from April 2nd - 5th, and certainly look forward to returning in the not too distant future. Why?
- fantastic value for such an excellent location
- staff friendly, courteous and helpful,
even graciously forwarding items I left behind.
- clean comfortable room ( checked and cleaned every day)
- quiet location
- great breakfast
- free tea making facilities and use of iron

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ceithlin
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you for you lovely feedback, and kind comments about the team. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Passfield Hall will not become my favourite London stopover - this place is occupied by Northumberland House, also an LSE dorm - but it is a most decent one.

The location is good: one bus stop from Russel Square, where you can easily get from Heathrow by Piccadilly line without changes, and a few minutes on foot from Euston Square, from which you can get almost anywhere by Circle Line. It is also within an easy walk from Holborn, West End and Soho, and a bus can take you to Trafalgar Square in minutes. Bloomsbury is quite a delightful district itself; there's a huge Waitrose supermarket nearby and a great Waterstone's bookshop just a few minutes walk from the Hall.

My room was tiny - and I mean "tiny", not "small". A wardrobe, a desk, a bed and a washbasin left almost no space for myself. Well, I didn't come to London to stay in the room. Trouble is, it also overlooked the street (it was directly above the entrance, to be precise), and although there was almost no traffic at night, a lot of people talked by the entrance. It was also situated right opposite the stairs, which, combined with the fact that the bathrooms where shared, made it quite noisy. The window could be opened only a little - some safety rules, as usual - but even when it was completely closed, one could feel cold air coming through the crevice under the window. I didn't mind it in the spring, I would have minded very much in winter.

The place could be cleaner - I don't expect much, mind you, but the shared bathrooms, toilets in particular, could be improved. They weren't exactly dirty and disgusting, but I had a feeling they weren't cleaned often enough.

Breakfast was decent, with the choice of 6 items I knew from another LSE dorm, Bankside House. I particularly enjoyed the waffle/pancake option and the maple syrup as an addition to the traditional English breakfast, fruit and cereal.

The staff was ok - they let me check in a little ealry and leave my luggage after check out (don't leave any valuables in the left luggage, though - anyoye could come and take it, I feel).

Overall, Passfield House, while not my favourite London dorm, is worth recommending as an inexpensive place in a nice district available not only in summer, but also during Spring Holidays.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Er_the_witch

Your candid and constructive feedback is really helpful and we’re glad that on the whole you found your stay satisfactory. Noise is sometimes an issue in but if you let the front desk know we will investigate and try to resolve it immediately – we really do appreciate there is nothing worse than being woken up in the middle of the night! We’ll get the maintenance officer to have a look at the windows above the main entrance, whilst the building is listed and we have to keep the single glazed sash windows they should not be draughty. The communal facilities are meant be cleaned at least daily and are normally kept to a very high standard so we’ll ask the Housekeeper to investigate what happened here. We have kept a left luggage facility in our residences, although as you say we do advise guests not to leave valuables in there because whilst the key is issued at reception, it is available to all guests

Reviewed 11 April 2012

I went to London as a group of 4 and stayed here in two twins for the night and it was perfect! The service was friendly and helpful, especially for clueless 18 year olds, the rooms were big and spacious, very light and the toilet facilities were adequate (I'm told the shower is good too). It was also surprisingly peaceful for so close to the centre of London, so sleep was great on comfy beds. The breakfast was amazingly huge, didn't manage to finish with full English, unlimited toast and tea, but the best part of this place is the location, 5 minute walk from Euston meaning you can get anywhere quickly. There are lovely, affordable restaurants nearby and you are a short tube ride from...well everything! :D
Oh and they have a luggage room so you can leave your things there instead of dragging them around London so you can go home that night! Fab!
Would highly recommend and will definitely use this next time I do a trip like this!

Room Tip: FYI some floors don't have toilets so you'll have to hunt around - ground floor and middle f...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JRUSHIE

Thank you for your positive feedback, we’re really pleased that you had a good time with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I stayed at pass field hall last week with my daughter. We stayed two nights and cannot fault accommodation,Staff or facilities. This is the third time I have stayed with LSE twice at Holborn and now at pass field. It's only a shame it isn't open at other times of the year or I would be a more regular visitor. Well done LSE for making London more accessible as a short visit destination. 5 stars

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Daggersdrawn

Thank you for your lovely feedback, we’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Hostel type accommodation with very clean rooms and with everything you need just few steps on the same floor. No free wifi internet. Remember that rooms are in old building so you can hear many things - from shower to street life... Breakfast is varied and very tasty - great start for long day! We used train from Luton Airport (chance to get many of 2for1 sites with National Rails) and hotel is about 10 minutes walk from St. Pancras International. 24/7 store is about 5 minutes walk on Russell Square. Many of eating places are on Euston Station.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Czech81

Thank you for your comments. We’re pleased to announce that we’re hoping to run a pilot WiFi scheme this summer.