“Agree with "watch your wallet"”

Lancaster Gate Hyde Park Apartments
Ranked #540 of 874 Speciality Lodging in London
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
“Agree with "watch your wallet"”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My family stayed in Lancaster Gate Hyde Part Apartments last spring. Although we enjoyed the location very much and most features about the apartment, the washing machine was defective and ruined some of our clothes. Also, we never received our deposit back in spite of 6 e-mails and 3 phone calls inquiring about it. Would not recommend the place.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Alex G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2011

September 2011. My husband and I and his elderly parents were very much looking forward to our stay in London in unit 4 Lancaster Gate. On arrival we were greated by Dorothy who told us our unit was ready but it didnt have hot water for the 4 days that we were booked in for. After expressing my disappointment we were told 'its going to be ok as you can use unit 1 until Wednesday then unit 5 on Thursday and Friday to shower'. The boiler was going to be fixed after we vacated on Friday. Unit 1 (our temporary shower) was up a set of stairs then into a lift to the basement unit. Unit 1 had not been cleaned after the previous tennants had vacated and the smell of rotten food and rubbish was filling the unit. We had to shut off the kitchen to the bathroom to minimise the smell.
The inconvenience of going to another unit to bath was a nuisence for us but my husbands parents felt very uncomfortable about the situation with navigating the stairs and entering a dark unit. New tennants came into unit 1 so we were told to use unit 5 up a very steep set of stairs - carrying toiletries and towels, no lift
I rang the office to ask them to reduce the rent as we had been inconvenienced by not having hot water but the girl in the office was unapologetic and non caring and told me that the manager would contact me the following day. He did not contact me so I called the office again. I was told that I could put my complaint into an email and address it to the manager which I did. I did not receive a return phone call or return email. I wrote another email advising them that I would take my complaints further if I didnt hear back from them - I never received any corrospondance back from them, then or since. We vacated the unit 1 day early as we couldnt stand it a moment longer. London was cold at the time and we had no heating.
We rented this unit as the web made it look quite upmarket and we were prepared to pay a greater rent for the comforts of the decor and wifi but wifi only worked if you sat on the steps in between the units.
I have read the other reviews from the guests and can agree with all the negative remarks and can also agree on all the things that they said didnt work.
I hope you are not tempted to try your luck with this apartment.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank fairbrown

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2011

When you read the reviews on a property you should discount the ones that are overly good or overly poor to get a balance of feel for the property. However, in this case go with the overly poor.

Travelled as a couple to London last year and this year returned as a group of 2 couples and at the end of 4 weeks of travelling around the UK in close proximity to one another it seemed a good idea to stay in a spacious and well appointed serviced apartment. This is why we chose Apartment 1. The photos in the glossy ads mask the true story.

Listed below are the things not working and were not fixed in the 3 days of our stay.

TV in main room and Bed 1 did not receive any of the main channels. i.e BBC1 etc.
TV above Spa in main bathroom did not work. Response to this was that they probably would not be looked at in the next 2 or 3 days. Not good enough when you are only staying 3 days and I also presume the same story would be fed to the next occupants.
Power points in Bed 2 not working therefore no bed lamps. The solution to this is an extension cord (supplied on request) to run to the hallway to connect nonexistent bed lamps. Apart from anything else this poses a risk of falling over the cord. Fixing the power points seem to be in the too hard or probably, more particulary, too expensive basket.
Light in wardrobe 2 not working.
Exhaust fan in Bath 2 noisy and next to useless.
CD Player in Lounge did not work.
Heated towel rail in Bed 2 did not work.
Hair dryer in Bed 2 did not work.
Ice cube maker in fridge did not work.
Spa bath buttons did not work without turning on main switch on fuse box.

Major Disappointments.
Mat in Lounge Room was filthy.
Miniscule and very uninviting courtyard off the bedrooms did not look like it had been cleaned for months and was littered with cigarette butts thrown from upstairs windows.
No tea towels.
No liquid handwash in containers in either bathroom and only one small cake of soap for each bathroom. This is evidently an economy measure.
Only one towel provided for each person for the 3 days.
No laundry detergent.
No ironing board cover.
Insufficient cutlery,plates and glasses for 4 people let alone 6 persons which is the number who could presumably stay in the Apartment.
Dirty entrance from street down stairs to the Front Door.
Squeaky floorboards.
Front door above apartment was not on automatic closer and was slammed every time someone arrived or left the building.

Our housekeeper, Dorothy, was as helpful as she could be but my suspicions are that the owners are only interested in the bottom line and do not give a fig about their customers and she could only operate within the guidelines that they are obviously imposing on her. Whilst the Apartment may have been a delight to stay in when newly renovated it is in dire need of maintenance work on all levels.

Not nearly good enough when you are paying 300GBP a night for what is supposedly one of London's prestige Apartments. If this is the benchmark then the rest must be pretty poor.

I could not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank BruceF47
manarola, italy
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We had three nights in apartment 4. Whilst on a superficial level the apartment does give a good impression, it doesn't deliver quality or service. On arrival we noted that lights in half the apartment wouldn't work..not a big deal resolved the next day. Wi-if was best in the hallway, and not in the apartment, not that big a deal. The tv didn't work,it would have been nice, but we can do without. Bathroon door jammed and wouldn't open, luckily on both occassions it was an adult trappped inside and so no damage done to the door (though at one stage it seemed we were going to destroy the door to get the person out.) But the big problem was that while we were there there was NO HOT WATER...and attempts on my behalf to get this resolved were ignored...I have, since returning home, been ignored by people at the apartments when I have contacted them regarding our discomfort..and that's the killer....If the owner/manager really took pride in their apartments something a refund, an apology would have been offered..it hasn't. Londonchoice, the booking agent suggested the problem arose from the fact the housekeeper was away.---sorry, no!!! The problems arose because whoever owns/ manages these apartment doesn't care at all about the quality of service or the comfort of their guests...they just want the money. So I wouldn't recommend staying here to anybody , infact places like this give the industry a bad name and should be held accountable. IIT IS NOT WORTH STAYING AT THESE APARTMENTS...the owner doesnt dosen't deserve your money..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank pmharold
Scotland
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We were looking for accommodation in London when my husband was running the London marathon. We were travelling with my parents and our young children and the best option seemed to be an apartment. Although I did think it was very expensive, it looks very luxurious ont he website but these pics to do not match what you find when you arrive. It was very dirty, especially the showers, kitchen and floors but the main issues we had was that the smoke alarm was disconnected, the oven didn't work and the patio doors did not lock.

When I called London Choice on our return I was put through to their General Manager who seemed very disappointed and assured me he would look into my issues and call me back. He never called me back until I left another 3/4 messages and was then VERY rude basically telling me I was lying about the issuesd I raised. When I was clearly unhappy with the way he spoke to me, the phone was taken over by another gentleman (and I use that term loosely!) who advised that he was the Assistant Manager of London Choice who told me to "got to hell", "get a life you nutcase" and "that I should be grateful to be allowed to stay in a luxury apartment" and hung up.

I am now unable to speak to anyone at a higher level within London Choice. I am appalled at how I have been treated.

My advise to anyone would be to stay away from this company - Lancaster Gate is a very long way from luxury!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family