“Our favourite Eritrean restaurant and best restaurant in the area”
Review of Blue Nile Cafe

Blue Nile Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Nile Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 25,464 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 19
Cuisines: Ethiopian, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Blue Nile is a family run Eritrean - Italian cafe and restaurant, harking back to Eritrea's colonial history. Our menu has a mix of Italian and Eritrean classics, from Italian coffees, pasta and ice-creams to Eritrean 'kemem' tea (tea infused with cloves, cinnamon, star anise and ginger), warm 'ful', meat stews infused with cardamom and cinnamon and cooked in 'tesmi', a warm and comforting spiced butter and our delicious home made sweet cardamom flavoured bread called 'himbasha'. A lot of our recipes are gluten - free and we have a wide range of vegetarian dishes.
Reviewed 6 October 2018

We get the vegetarian set. Unique tastes of each each dish, unlike some places where spices are the same across dishes. Subtle but wonderful flavors, lightly but clearly spiced. Love the chickpeas, lentils, tomato dishes. Unique delicious flavors. Owners run the place and are extremely gracious, friendly and welcoming, like joining them for dinner in their own home. Eritrean tea is perfect accompaniment. Best and freshest injera. Our favorite restaurant in the southeast area around Woolwich and our favorite Eritrean/Ethiopean restaurant in London and we've been to a couple of the best elsewhere.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Great place in Woolwich, beautiful decor and atmosphere full of love for the owner's country.

Very interesting conversation with the owners who are proud and full of passion for their original country, Eritrea and they're not allowed to go back there for the last 20 years due to the political situation.

Lovely evening with nice food and reasonable price.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

If you want a wonderful meal out eating the best flavoured food then this is the place to go. I love the injera and casseroles. Injera is like a savoury, sponge pancake which you spoon the casseroles onto and then tear pieces of injera off to eat the casseroles with - you don't use cutlery - it's great fun! They do rice too and pasta for children if they'd prefer.
I eat here all the time and I'm a gluten free, vegetarian diner. They also have scrumptious meat dishes which my husband and children loved when I brought them here one weekend. My 15 yr old daughter asked for more and she's never done that in a restaurant before.
I work locally, staying away from home so usually eat on my own or with friends/colleagues because I know I will always have a warm welcome from Shewa and the most delicious meal at an excellent price. From my recent visits I have discovered that Shewa has appeared in the Guardian, Sunday Telegraph Magazine (Aug 18) and on Radio 4's Women's Hour (Sept 18). Shewa deserves all the recognition she gets. I can't recommend this super restaurant enough!

Reviewed 28 September 2018

I've been here a few times and its incredible! The restaurant is beautifully decorated and the food is the best I've had. Cant recommend enough!

Reviewed 23 September 2018

Great food, charming, really nice people.
Fab old building, in what was a sausage factory.
Now a simple, charming Eritrean restaurant - the owners are an Eritrean/Italian couple - so the desserts are very italian. The tiramisu was sensational, but big.
Coeliacs - there is one dish that is not suitable, but the rest are good for you!
There's a strong vegetarian offering,
Thoroughly recommended