“Firmdale at its best!”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #7 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Stayed here with my partner for a London break. Love this hotel. The detail, the service. Stayed in a few Firmdale hotels but this is easily their best. Always feel like the first guest to have slept in the room. Pool is a hidden gem...

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was my first stay at the Haymarket though I've stayed often at the Charlotte Street, Soho and Covent Garden hotels. Decor-wise, it's up there with the best of the rest of the group but for me it lacked the magic ingredient that makes the others so successful. Perhaps it's the location - the others I have stayed at central but feel more tucked away but the Haymarket is on a busy road. Perhaps it's the fact that it's smack bang in a really touristy area makes it feel less special. Service-wise it was excellent with the usual, super-efficient room service and attentive housekeeping. But somehow the atmosphere was a bit more 'remote' than the usual Firmdale experience and I shan't be rushing back. (Though I will to the others!)

Room Tip: My room overlooked Haymarket so I expected a lot of traffic noise. However, the windows were so wel...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MCE63
Reviewed 19 March 2012

In some ways this hotel has been a mixed blessing of a find. The downside is that it will be difficult to stay anywhere else when we visit London in the future. The upside is...well, everything else.

On first impressions Haymarket Hotel has the quintessentially traditional English facade, complete with Union Jack and clipped topiary trees. It's in a quiet side street in the heart of the city.

On arrival we were greeted by the hotel's friendly doorman who valet-parked our vehicle for us (this is the other option to the NCP as mentioned previously) and we stepped through the grand doors in to the reception area. Immediately we were 'wowed' by the interior design which is both bold and beautiful, and the warm welcome from the concierge and front-of-house staff.

We were fortunate enough to be given an upgrade and our room was spacious and luxurious. The bathroom perfect too (the tile TV & signature toiletries deserving a special mention). The design is stunning (not bland & greige as some hotel rooms have become) without sacrificing practicality and spotlessly clean. Despite the windows overlooking a busy junction, any traffic noise there might have been wasn't an issue.

Ours was a 'flying visit', so we decided to give sightseeing a miss on this occasion, even though many of the capital's attractions are a stone's throw from the hotel. We chose instead to have a mid-afternoon meal at the Delaunay (sister restaurant to the Wolseley), and then popped in to No.1 Aldwych for cocktails afterwards. Both were fabulous. Although we sneaked a peek at the swimming pool in this hotel, and whilst lovely, it was not in the same league as the pool at Haymarket...I loved their pool, and this was one of my main reasons for picking the hotel. I think I would have been really disappointed if we hadn't had the opportunity to take a dip, but from reading the other reviews it seems this is totally pot-luck.

We stayed in the hotel bar during the evening, and chose a late meal from the bar menu - English and Italian tapas - and both were perfect. As were the bar staff who went out of their way to be attentive and efficient. The ambiance of the Brumus restaurant and bar is unique and intimate.

I missed the breakfast (the comfortable bed had a lot to do with this), but my husband assured me it was fantastic. Cereal, toast, full English etc.

On checking out we were pleasantly surprised by our bill. Value for money is sometimes difficult to evaluate, but we both agreed Haymarket Hotel is absolutely outstanding value for money. We could not have found even an incy-wincy fault with the staff, design, amenities, food and drink or location if we had wanted to. The problem is now that this hotel has set the bar very, very high for our next visit to London, and I'm not sure we will want to take the gamble and stay anywhere else.

Haymarket Hotel is totally perfect.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Agdord
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here for a night away to catch up with friends. First things first.... the two guys on the door are a credit to the hotel. Interior brilliant, the swimming pool area in a sensational room. All the staff very very well training and nothing was too much trouble. Bar was great, Breakfast ace, especially the granola and the lowsley yoghurt is totally moorish !! This is Firmdale at it's best and might just pip the Soho Hotel we stayed at earlier in the year. Car parking is the only grip being in a NCP but London is London. No problem. If you are in London and want a very well run, ssuper stylish hotel without the pretense, go there. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Great staff, location, bed and suite. Even though our suite had 3 windows, one of them directly onto Haymarket, the room was quiet and calm and we had a great night sleep.

We also liked the knowledgeable concierge (we were very happy with the lunchimte restaurant recommendation) and the smiley receptionists and doorman. And the decor is just gorgeous to look at too, as is the mini bar, the swimming pool, the honesty bar, it's just a great place to be. And wonderfully central but still peaceful.

I love it here, I really rate this hotel for all the reasons above but I am a tad irritated at the £20 charge for wi-fi - at over £400 a night they should be providing this in my view.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple