“Great Stay for first time in London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hoxton, Shoreditch

The Hoxton, Shoreditch
Ranked #111 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Stay for first time in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My wife and I just got back from a trip to Europe. The Hoxton was one of our stops. Great, affordable room in a cool area of London. Would recommend and come back.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

This was my first visit to the Hoxton Hotel, but my partner had been on a few occasions, and since his first visit has always stayed there. On arrival we were greeted with very friendly happy staff, with no waiting to check in. We had arrived early but there was no issue and they found us a room straight away. I love the fact that if you wish to have a late check out, you can pay just a small amount per hour to do so. Heading up to the room everything was spotless with a gentle red glow in the corridors, and on entering the room everything was immaculate. The size was not that big in comparison to many other hotel rooms, but the way they have decorated made it feel so comfortable and homely, a rarity in a hotel room. I must say this hotel have perfected their little touches around the room perfectly. Larger towel radiator in the bathroom with a good walk in shower, chilled milk in the mini bar with a note stating that they do not want to overcharge on stocking the mini bar, but snacks and drinks are available at reception to stock as we wished at high street prices. The coffee bags were a lovely idea, and the complimentary Pret breakfast bag was perfect to take away with us on our onwards commute to central London. Cannot fault this hotel, and although we were in London for pleasure needing to travel on two tubes to get to where we needed, it was well worth the journey. Cannot fault this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I had been impressed by this hotel the bathroom seemed very clean I had emailed ahead to ask for no throw and said I only wanted the white bedding on the bed there was no email back so I called ahead and they had nothing on the system even though I emailed through the website. Then when I arrived there were stained cushions on the bed so I jiust moved them this did leave fibres and bits on the bed but as the room was nice I ignored it. There was also stains on the carpet and the chaise longe but I could have lived with this. I was still at this point very happy with the room until the morning when I saw the duvet poking out as I pulled the duvet back to get out of bed it was absoloutly rancid covered in yellow rings of bodily fluid I then looked at the other side and it was the same I cannot believe I had that wrapped around me and a couple of days on sat here writing this and thinking about it then my stomach turns as it was that disgusting.

The biggest shame is I had the hotel recommended to me and if I hadn't seen this we would of stayed here regularly for business.

I have never seen anything so filthy in all my life and still feel sick now the cleaning staff should be ashamed letting someone sleep under that.

I didn't have any breakfast because I felt so disgusting having slept under this skanky duvet with my face touching stains.

Regards to everything else found the staff to be so so I didn't have much dealings with anyone other than the bar staff and the receptionist. When I checked in the receptionist was pleasant but when I checked out and mentioned this filthy duvet the receptionist was not at all interested and all she said was she would take it up with the cleaning staff I could not go into detail about my disgust because I had colleagues waiting for me.

Room Tip: Try and get clean bedding
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank luxuryliker28
Wagga Wagga, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

Just around the corner from where I was to work for a few days, so very handy.

The room is a reasonable size for central London. A double-bed, functionally small desk with the network cable (wireless is also available) and a drawer which has all teh tea and coffee, remotes etc for TV and so forth. The cleaning staff leave that drawer open so it is obvious were things are, which is a nice touch for when you've neverf been in one of their rooms before.

TV also has Internet capability, which, along with the pay TV and movies, is all that is charged extra. The wired and wireless Internet is free, as is a complimentary breakfast of yoghurt, juice and a piece of fruit (bananas at present; not sure if this is seasonal).

The bathroom is very nicely appointed, very slick and stylish. The room itself has a nice decor, including very chic rendering (plaster) on the walls with a London scene stencilled in, as do the awlls in the corridors. This is clearly either a quite new hotel and/or well maintained and kept fresh and modern. An almost industrial look to it as well with steel fittings, but all very stylish and comfortable.

Very popular bar and grill downstairs, with private rooms available for functions. Although downstairs it can be noisy, I had no noise come up to my room on the fourth floor (double-glazing is soooo good!). There are several gas-fired open fireplaces which give both warmth and ambience. Several lounge areas at the entrance lead to the bar and then to the restaurant. There is also outdoor eating in the alfresco garden setting.

Heaps of bars, pubs and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, everything within walking distance.

I was on business and found it comfortable to sleep or work in, and the lounge area useful for working until the late afternoon when it was clearly a drinking-place for workers in the area. The popularity of the hotel speaks for itself.

Room Tip: Ask about a room on the quiet side, which, surprisingly, is the side with the garden. The check-in s...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We've stayed at the Hoxton on a number of occasions, both for business and leisure. Each time, the rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable, with a good (although not huge) amount of space (but we have always requested a room on a high floor, as I'm not sure whether rooms on the first floor would be noisy).

They do fairly regular £1 sales, where a limited number of rooms are available for £1, and some more for £29 per night. This is outstanding value, although it can be hard to book as web traffic is understandably very high. We've been fortunate enough to get one of these rooms once, and it made for a great value weekend in London. Breakfast (from memory fruit, yoghurt and juice) is included, although a more substantial breakfast is available at the Grill downstairs - as is dinner. The cooked food from the Grill is also outstanding.

Overall we'd not hesitate to recommend The Hoxton.

Room Tip: The floor above reception may be noisy (can't be sure as never had a room there), so try a highe...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business