All reviews hyde park keys beds tube receptionist wifi
Reviewed 6 May 2017

This is not a 5 star hotel, this is a budget hostel. It is a very old building which seems to be managed entirely by one woman who is simultaneously the receptionist, the cleaning staff, and all in between, and is clearly in need of a budget to tend to the wear on this well-used old place. There are some cracks in the walls, some stains on the carpet, and some dirt in the corners, but nothing that made me feel compromised in security or comfort. It's a charming old building with antiquated features like a pull-cord flush toilet and a hidden staircase through the cupboard under the stairs, and staying here made me feel like I had stepped back in time - which I enjoyed.

My double bedroom was appropriately decorated with an old fashioned clothes closet and vanity, and included a private sink with medicine cabinet. There were a variety of pillows of varying firmness, the sheets were clean, clean towels were provided, and it was very quiet. Wifi is available and posted at the foot of the stair below the ground floor. The location is right around the block from Queensway and Bayswater tube stations, as well as a Sainsburys market and many shops and restaurants, yet the back of the building looks onto a quiet, contained yardspace. Most remarkable of all, the poor overworked manager, Karmel, was completely delightful despite how spread thin she is.

If you prefer more modern amenities then this is probably not the place for you, but I was perfectly comfortable and would be happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Ground floor double bedroom at back of the building was very quiet with good lighting.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 April 2017

London Marathon weekend, I called into the Dean Court and was met by the very pleasant, Carmel who gave me the keys and the accommodation briefing. My room was adequate with a clean comfortable double bed, 2 towels and soap leading out onto a balcony. Shared bathroom's were always available and spaced out over several floors. Community area and kitchen clean, coffee tea facilities plentiful. Never tried the breakfast but I'm sure it would be clean plates as well. It is really not too far from Bayswater Tube on the Circle Line and there are plenty of shops near by.
Thanks for an enjoyable stay. Comfortable, quiet and relaxing.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Ask at the reception.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Loughorne
Reviewed 1 November 2016

My friend and I stayed in female only 5 bed dorm. We had a late arrival arranged, and we got the keys without a trouble even though it was outside of the reception hours. As we were the last two to arrive, we couldn't choose beds next to each other, but it didn't bother me. Truth is, the house is very old, weirdly set up (couldn't believe how many floors it had for such a slim building), and not very clean, but I have to say, that I was quite happy staying there. Bathrooms could have been cleaner but there was always a hot water (you had to wait a few minutes, sure), which is surprising considering how many people are sharing the bathrooms. Another thing was that in the room only one light was actually working, but if I look at it from another perspective, it is enough and at least we didn't bother each other with individual reading lights until late night. What I found funny that I only realized on the last night of our stay, that we didn't even know if there was any wi-fi (I doubt it), but if there was, we survived without it and that's a sign for me that we had a good time visiting London and didn't need to be online all the time as some might.
Breakfast was exactly what I like when on vacation- eggs, bacon and beans freshly made on order, tea, coffee, toast and cereal to choose from. I needed nothing more to start a great day in London.
For me it was a great example how subjective opinions can be- my friend didn't like our stay there at all, and I would happily come back. 20 pounds a night for a bed, hot water, heating and hot breakfast is fair enough. And the location is great, as previously mentioned by others.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank TerezaK156
Reviewed 23 August 2016

The only good thing is the location. The neighbourhood is fantastic. The hostel seems a terror film house, extremely dirty. I was 15 minutes ringing the bell on my arrival and no one appeared. The rooms had the wallpapers torn off and holes in the walls were cover with a mirror. The bathroom was tiny and very old. Breakfast was average. No reception desk so you could not ask anything. Dirt, dirt and dirt. Of course I only stayed one night and run away.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Silvana2013
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed in a double room for 4/5 nights, and for what you pay it is extremely reasonable. Included in your price is a breakfast which makes it worth your while although there are many places round the corner which do full breakfast. However by staying in Dean Court you are rewarded with location, for someone who is being a tourist and out every day it is perfect so close to a tube station which is minutes away from so many great things for you to do. Also very close to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park which are both definitely worth a visit if you stay here, with London obviously a very expensive place you get what you pay for here. It is well priced and good for London accommodation, however it is more of a hostel with shared toilets and shower and it is slightly run down. But all in all would stay again, friendly staff and comfy decent sized room

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple