New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #615 of 1,078 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I've stayed in this hotel on a number of occassions over the last few years. I had been giving it a miss for a while because of the generally poor experiences I'd had previously. This week I thought I'd give it another go, and yet again found I was disappointed. This hotel isn't terrible, but it could be a lot better. In no particular order, these are the lowlights...

- No hot water this morning. My experience is that this is a fairly regular occurence.
- Water pressure is always pretty low in most of the rooms I've stayed in.
- Most of the rooms are dingy and need redecorating.
- Housekeeping aren't very thorough, e.g. towels not changed, broken items in rooms not fixed or replaced (my room had a broken lampshade and a broken pedal bin in the bathroom).
- Bar usually seems under staffed, service is slow and breakfast is the same.

I have another stay booked here for next week, but that is about to be cancelled.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing a review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree on the Trip Advisor website.

I am sorry that you feel that you have experienced problems whilst staying with us. We would very much like to discuss the issues you have noted on your review with you personally. We value your custom and do always like to listen to our guests and will do all we can to ensure that everyone visiting the hotel has a positive and relaxing experience. With this in mind and if it is convenient for you would you contact Shae Walmsley our Operations Manager at the hotel via the main hotel number - 0208 214 9988.

In the meantime if there is any way we can be of assistance please do not hesitate to let us know.

Kevin Fraser
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

During the 2012 'Dancing On Ice' programme we stayed there for many weekends and everyone was so helpful. They couldn't do enough for us. Well done!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your time spent at this hotel during the 2012 Dancing on Ice season.

All of us are always excited to welcome you back and it makes one of the highlights of our year. We value the custom you bring to the hotel and the pleasure of serving both familiar faces and new arrivals to the show.

I will ensure the whole team are aware of the positive feedback you have given and we all hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to the hotel in the future.

Cambridge, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have used this hotel five times in the last six months, and regretfully, I must say the standard is falling.

First, the good bits. Tariq, one of the waiters, is brilliant. Bar food is always hot. Sausages and bacon at breakfast is cooked properly.

The bad stuff:

1. Attitude of front of house staff is sloppy (gum chewing) and antagonistic (the system lost one of my bookings).
2. Lackadaisical attitude continues into management grades. Reservations Manager did not gives her staff the authority to solve a problem, but would not come out and sort it herself. Bar manager does not understand the concept of smiling. Management were supposed to phone me after my booking problem. Still waiting more than two weeks after complaining to Head Office.

This hotel has forgotten the meaning of hospitality. If it was not for their proximity to two of my accounts, I would find another hotel to use.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of this Hotel on the Trip Advisor website. Can I firstly apologise to you for the issues you have identified with your recent stay.

We are aware that you had contacted IHG Guest Relations about the problems you had experienced and we were under the impression from them that they had responded to you on our behalf and had resolved the issue to your satisfaction. However, I am very sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication that has happened and that you are still waiting for a response directly from us here at the hotel.

We do like to deal with any issues that arise at hotel level if possible and always have a Guest Relations Manager on duty 24 hours a day who is tasked with resolving any issues that guests may experience immediately and before it impacts negatively on their stay. My sincere apologies that this did not happen in your case.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Tareq in our Restaurant, I will make sure that he is aware of your compliment regarding the service he provides and recognised accordingly.

We would like to discuss your review and comments with you directly and Shae Walmsley, Operations Manager is contactable via the hotel switchboard on 0208 214 9988.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Recently stayed here for one night. Hotel reception looks fine and staff very helpful.

Good location, right off the A1 so easy to get to from the M25.

Breakfast the usual fare but not particularly great.

Overall it was OK for the price but it was not a pleasure to stay here - the bed was really old with a bouncy mattress on a small bed so every time one of you moves, it is like sleeping on an airbed!

Room Tip: Very well insulated so heard no traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager065, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Elstree, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for providing your review of the Holiday Inn London-Elstree we value all feedback we receive and use it as a way of improving the service we offer to all of our guests.

I was pleased to read that you found our team members to be helpful on the front desk, I will ensure that they are aware of your positive comments about the service they provided to you.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the breakfast provision and with the size of the bed in the room you occupied. Our beds are standard double beds in our standard double room type, if you visit the hotel in future you may find that upgrading to an executive bedroom, which have as a minimum a king size bed, to be more comfortable.

I hope that you would give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you by staying again when you next visit the area. In the meantime I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn London-Elstree.

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Good hotel, nice decor good rooms and public space. Price is the only issue but you pay for what you get.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for providing us with your feedback via the Trip Advisor website.

I was pleased to read your review from your recent stay, I will ensure that the hotel team are made aware of your positive comments.

We do believe that we price ourselves competitively in the local market and always strive to provide our guests with the best value for money whilst maintaining our high standards.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn London-Elstree in the near future.

Kevin Fraser
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Premier Inn London Sidcup
#344 of 1,078 in London
Clapham / Battersea
Pelican London Hotel and Residence

Been to Holiday Inn London - Elstree? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK