“Fine hotel for your short stay”

Victor Hotel London Victoria
Ranked #605 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 February 2012

All boys at receptionist were very friendly and tried to help us with all our questions, even they didn't knew the answer. We had a room in -1 floor, next to the dining room. It was a bit noisy, because early in the morning we heard people who prepared breakfast walking. Breakfast was great. We could choose between toasts and croasants. Croasants were really great! Towels were changed daily. We chose this hotel, because it is in really quiet street, but not very far from attractions.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

I agree with the main drawbacks mentioned here - small rooms, small beds, thin walls, old decorations, basic breakfast.

However, I'm giving it 4 out of 5 because I really feel you get what you pay for. It's on a beautiful, grand, quiet street right in central London - I walked to Buckingham Palace at night in about 20 minutes, and Victoria Station is 5-7 minutes' walk away. That's great if you need to get the Gatwick Express early in the morning, as I did.

I've stayed here twice, and got a significantly better deal using booking.com than calling reception.

There are supermarkets and plenty of good restaurants within easy range.

Staff seemed fine, but I didn't need to ask them for anything in particular. I overslept and vacated the room almost an hour after check-out time, and no one kicked up a fuss. So extra marks for that.

Wi-Fi is fast and reliable. Good enough for a long Skype chat, which is always my litmus test.

I can see that some of the negative reviewers have valid points, but I really don't think you can do much better in central London for this price. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where. Until then, I think I'll keep going back to this place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank GarryOwen78
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This hotel...was the worst choice we made in the entire trip! I give 2 stars, because the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is relatively convenient. But never again! The double room was pretty rundown, with wallpaper half tore, the worst part of all was there was dark stain on the sheet (suspect to be dry blood)...We paid 69 pounds/night, it's cheap, but come on, for a self-claimed 3 star hotel? I thought they could do better than that!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The hotel is everything one would expect from a budget hotel - except the cost. We chose the hotel because of its location and it didnt disappoint. However for the price we paid per night the double room was really tiny, the breakfast provided was meagre and the shower heads and floors were not that clean. We initially got room number 1 (downstairs) and the wifi didnt work, we were told to stand in the corridor and use it because there was nothing they could do. That being said its conveniently located between the Victoria and Pimlico stations - a direct line to London Kings Cross. Walking distance to most of the attractions and some good bars in the area. No room service. Ask for a room upstairs if you want any wifi connection. They can only keep a few bags and if you come down late (like we did) your bag waits in the corridor for you. Some of the staff were helpful (one helped us change rooms). Its a quiet hotel - we didnt hear too much noise while sleeping. The rooms are quite tiny for 2 adults, with suitcase - you spend abit of time navigating around each other. If you just want a convenient place to sleep, change and leave your bags then I would recommend the hotel but I doubt I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Not room 1, 2 or 3 which is downstairs and located right next to the dining room and doesnt receive...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Stayed for 2 nights 22-24 December. Paid £119 for a twin room with en-suite, which works out £29.75 per person. Cheap! Pre-payment for first night, and on arrival paid remaining by cash.

On arrival, very smooth transaction, and easy check-in. We were given a room on 3rd floor. I already knew from reviews that no lift was provided, but stairs were quite uneven to carry my suitcase.

Pictures are a bit misleading because the room in actuality was a lot smaller than the pictures you see on their website. Room temperature was perfect, warm and toasy. but it got quite cold at one point in night. I was very impressed at how CLEAN the room and bathroom was. Beds were the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Bathroom was basic and shower's water temperature was just right, however a bit slow to drain.

Didnt like the back view. And the floors were incredibly creaky and squeaky. which made me feel awkward to move around. Worse - could hear people moving above, hence creaky ceilings. Its a good job I was out for most of the day. When you go out, you have to leave key with owner and on return just tell them your room number.

Breakfast - is in the basement, not a problem but again, pictures are misleading because this breakfast room was very very small. It had about 3 double tables and 3 single tables as the hotel has 22 rooms. We came a bit later on 2nd night - and it was more busy. Was served by a curteous European woman - who offered the best hot croissants I've had. Breakfast was very basic but was sufficient enough.

Location - great, took me 12 minutes to walk to victoria tube station and about 9 minutes to the coach station. Neighbourhood is lovely, very quiet and I felt safe walking at night with my sister.

Owners - very polite and pleasant. On check-out, they looked after our luggage for whole day whilst we did further sight seeing.

Overall - be prepared to drag your luggage up uneven stairs. Don't expect to be provided with toiletries. The twin room is very small. Learn to live out of your suitcase, although they provide you with a storage cupboard. I may choose another hotel in victoria next time, but I know I won't get a cheap price like this.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing front. Come for breakfast early, about 08.00. Make sure you have a map as all...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family