“Gotta Hate Avni” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avni Hotel At Courtfield

We can't find prices for this hotel
Avni Hotel At Courtfield
Ranked #1,029 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Toronto, Ontario
“Gotta Hate Avni”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently for 7 nights. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. The previous comments made were spot on.
The only thing good about this hotel is its location in South Kensington, which was very close to everything including restaurants, grocery stores and the Underground. However, there are many hotels in this area so you have a lot to choose from.
When we checked in, we were told to come back since the rooms were not ready yet. We asked the front desk staff (looks like it's a poorly run family business) if we could get a map of London. We were told that they didn't have any. I would think that most of their guests are tourists and I would think that they'd be able to at least give you a city map. My husband and I had to go down the street to the Marriot to get a map of London and the concierge at the Marriot was a lot more helpful in terms of suggesting sites of interest in the area.
We stayed on the 1st floor and as mentioned in other reviews, the walls are very thin and you can hear footsteps of the room above and people's conversation in adjacent rooms. There's a closet room in the hallway which is left open so feel free to grab a fresh and non-smelly towel. The makeshift window covering wasn't working properly. The beds were too small and pillows too flat. I had to leave a note to ask the cleaning person to change our sheets and to supply us with soap and shampoo.
The pressure in the shower is good but don't drop the soap because if you bend down you won't be able to get back up and we're average sized people too. The towels stink like bleach so you better bring your own if you're planning on staying at this hotel.
The breakfast was ok. The coffee was basically instant coffee put into a coffee pots.
The front desk staff were basically non responsive. You ask them a question and they pretend they don't understand you.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaseyGDT
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

Has a well deserved bad reputation, as i suppose many other 3star hotels in London.
Little difficult to write anything totally original although I do think that some of the reviews are a little forgiving- remember these people are running a business and some things are very easy to correct i.e. very basic maintenance.

Pro's are -
Location, near tube Gloucester Road and in a nice area, lots of good pubs and restaurants within a few mins walk.
Room size ok [ compact] and relatively clean.
Bed comfortable.
Breakfast ok - plenty of cereals, toast, Fruit, etc

Con's -
Shower in room fairly pathetic water flow - although Hot.
No double glazing and rotting window frames
Massive problem with damp in corner of room -which I would Guess runs down the whole side of the Hotel.
Some light fittings just hanging out of holes in the ceiling [I think some basic maintenance would sort out ]
Temperature is either too cold because of the window frames or too hot if you switch on the radiator which is hit or miss too work -it has a mind of its own and switches on and off on some unknown cycle.
Thin walls so can hear all sorts - may effect some but I sleep like the 'proverbial dead' so didn't effect me!

I would stay again but max 2 nights and I wouldnt take my 'better half''.

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

Smallest room I have ever seen in my life! No room for the suitcases. No security on our ground floor window, not that we were robbed but it disturbs your peace of mind. The blinds were broken. We had great warm weather while we were there which was great in general but in the hotel room there was no air conditioning and the front desk did not have any fans. We had to go and buy one...so they should have one now! I will say that the room was kept clean and well stocked. The continental breakfast was great! They had: 3-4 varieties of cereal, toast, preserves, fruit, cheese, yogourt, croissants or buns, juice, milk, tea and coffee. The room did have a safe which was nice to put our passports in. TV only had 4 channels. The bathroom was very small with a pedastal sink, stand-up shower and toilet. There was no place to keep your toiletries. No internet facilities. Though there was a cheap enough place just up the road. I would stay here again if I was going solo, but not with another person - it is just too small.

• Liked — The continental breakfast.
  • Disliked — Small room.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2008

I stayed here with my mother for about a week when we visited London last April. We arrived at about 10 in the morning from the airport, check in wasn't until two but they tried their best to get us a room as soon as possible... I didn't have a good impression of them then, but it was my first time in London and I was tired and cranky so that's probably why. The room was clean, small but that is probably to be expected in that area of London. Everything seemed up to date, I got a good sleep, had some breakfast (served downstairs, continental) and went off to explore London. The closest tube station to the hotel is Gloucester (literally down the street), and shopping on Oxford street, museums, everything, were only a few minutes away so it was a great location. We would return, and a New Zealander in the lobby let us use his laptop, which was nice and I felt comfortable with the people who worked there as well.

Most of the recent reviews so far seem bad, so maybe it has changed. I'm not too sure. I'm sure that if you are polite and not too uptight with the staff members than they will give you the same treatment. As for the temperature and the lighting and noise, it definitely was not as bad as other people have said, not in my room anyway. We did change rooms though once, because it wasn't smoke free and my mum is sensitive to that stuff, but it didn't seem to be a problem... they even offered us a bigger room later on in the week.

• Liked — Location!
  • Stayed April 2007
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2008

I booked this hotel thinking it would be a nice, affordable place in a great area. I knew the rooms would be small but I didn't mind.

I actually stayed here over a two week period, broken up by a brief trip outside of London.

During the first part of the stay, I was put into a first floor room. The room was roasting hot (even though this was at the end of September and the weather was starting to cool). The ceiling light above the bed was partly to blame, I think, as it was extremely bright. Unfortunately I had to leave the light on as it was the only one in the room other than a dim Ikea table lamp. The television's cable did not work AT ALL, and they did little to fix it except to wiggle the cable and reset the reception settings for the hotel. It would have been nice to have seen the morning news to find out the weather forecast and Tube delays! The shower would leak onto the floor.

For the second part of my stay, I was placed into a room on the 3rd floor. This room was cool, thankfully. Probably because the light above the bed didn't work. The TV worked fine in here. The shower door would not close properly so either you left it partially open or you managed to jam it so that you had to practically break the door to get out. Horrible layout of bathroom - the shower door kept hitting the toilet. The hot water would sometimes run out if you waited too late in the evening to take a shower. The power went out a couple of times during the evening, without any explanation from the staff. Couldn't get the radiator to work one day when it became very chilly outside; the staff member who came up to fix it didn't really know what he was doing. Requested someone to open the room safe more than once as it wasn't open when we entered the room, but no one ever showed up when we called.

Staff vary from somewhat helpful to "I don't care what your problem is." You can check out and keep your luggage there, but it will be left in an open area of the lobby and unless you lock it to the bannister or a table, there is no guarantee that it will not walk away as someone won't always be there all the time to watch it.

The positives - fantastic, fantastic location near two tube stations and many restaurants, as well as grocery stores, but I wish I had gone to one of the other hotels nearby like base2stay. Neighbourhood is quiet as it's a few blocks away from the noisier main streets. Beds were comfortable, if a bit narrow. Rooms were clean, however there seems to be only one maid for the whole hotel and if the poor woman was busy changing all the rooms for new guests then your room was last on her list. Discovered that she washed our room's dishes in the bathroom sink, without any dishwashing soap. Breakfasts were basic (toast, fruit, juices, tea, coffee, yogurt, horrible croissants), and was a nice way to have a quick bite and save a bit of money before starting the day. Saw people using the wireless internet on their own laptops, but you have to sit in the lobby to do so.

Basically, this place is one step up from a hostel but not a very far step.

• Liked — Just the location
  • Disliked — Almost everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family