Jesmond Hotel
Arosfa Hotel(London)
The Academy(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgower streetbritish museumb bfull english breakfastgoodge street tuberoom overlooking the gardenwithin walking distancesingle roombloomsbury areaensuite bathroombreakfast roomno elevatorbus servicerooms are smallnorthern linecooked breakfastplenty of hot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Smallish room (as you would expect this close to London Central) but this was well and truly compensated by the location, service, and breakfast. Didn't need a car, close to what we wanted - the underground, London and access to St Pancreas for Paris - we felt safe, even at night. Sleep quality was good, although we found the rooms a little warm for our liking (but this would be a plus for plenty of people travelling in the heart of winter - we just opened a window). Loved it and will be back!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TheSteggs
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We have just returned from a 5-night stay in the Jesmond Hotel, and would definitely come again. The hotel is very well located, close to the center, but also with a lot to offer in the immediate vicinnity - cafes, shops, bookstores, the British Museum, and especially the good restaurants on Charlotte St. We had a back ensuite room, which was quiet, and although the bathroom was very small, it was modern and well equipped. The room itself was simple, but comfortable and clean, with a kettle for making a hot drink. As other reviewers have noted, the breakfasts are great, the downstairs sitting room is pleasant, and all of the staff were warm and friendly. Don't let the fact that there is no lift put you off. When we arrived, and when we left, we were helped with our bags. My only requests for a future stay would be new bedspreads and blankets, and a dimmer light in the small entry way outside our room - light shone into the room through the crack around the door. As long as you are not looking for luxury, this is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BethFS
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed at the Jesmond for 4 nights October 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Clean, nice en suite single room, good breakfast. FriendIy staff. I love staying in Bloomsbury ever since living there for a short time in the '70's. Yes, the rooms are small and yes, there is traffic noise at times on Gower Street - all part of the London experience. Much, much more fun than a "big box" hotel and much less expensive than a boutique accommodation. Recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Wyvernoodle
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I am back in Australia now after staying at the Jesmond for 25 nights. It was perfect and certainly had all the right elements for a clean, comfortable and happy stay in the heart of London. I miss my cosy room there and the ever helpful Maria who made the most delightful breakfasts each day. All the staff were cheery and ready with advice when required. The fresh flowers in strategic places were a lovely touch, the computer was useful and the sense of safety and security invaluable. I will be returning to Jesmond as soon as I can save up enough for the airfare and I will be thinking of it fondly until then.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Megan E
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed at the Jesmond Hotel for ten nights in December 2011/January 2012 and enjoyed my stay very much. The room was very small but I expected that and as I didn't plan to spend much time in it, it wasn't an issue. Cleanliness and a 'safe' atmosphere are much more important. It was immaculately clean, with the room being made up every day. I had my own ensuite bathroom. The hotel security was very good. And the area was a very safe one. I walked to and from the West End every night to see various shows and felt very secure. Gower Street is very well lit and although busy (on bus route) I found there was no undue noise.

The tube wasn't running for a few days in late December so it was very important to have a good location like this with buses as an alternative, and lots of attractions (and Oxford St for shopping) within walking distance.

Being so close to the British Museum meant you could pop in and out as it's too overwhelming for one visit.

There are plenty of ATMs close by on Russell Square and Tottenham Court Road, and a post box near the corner of Chenies St and Tottenham Court Rd (Chenies St is the street you walk up to Goodge St, the closest tube station).

The staff were polite and helpful with provision of things like an iron and ironing board and the lady serving breakfast was very kind. The breakfasts were good, especially if you took advantage of the cooked breakfast. I was always offered extra toast after the first lot.

Tottenham Court Road runs parallel to Gower St and there are lots of places to eat on it or in the sidestreets running off it. I particularly liked Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast, lunch, early dinner.

I would certainly recommend the hotel as a pleasant and convenient base for a London stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo