Jesmond Hotel
Arosfa Hotel(London)
The Academy(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgower streetbritish museumb bfull english breakfastgoodge street tuberoom overlooking the gardenwithin walking distancesingle roombloomsbury areaensuite bathroombreakfast roomno elevatorbus servicerooms are smallnorthern linecooked breakfastplenty of hot water
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I am back in Australia now after staying at the Jesmond for 25 nights. It was perfect and certainly had all the right elements for a clean, comfortable and happy stay in the heart of London. I miss my cosy room there and the ever helpful Maria who made the most delightful breakfasts each day. All the staff were cheery and ready with advice when required. The fresh flowers in strategic places were a lovely touch, the computer was useful and the sense of safety and security invaluable. I will be returning to Jesmond as soon as I can save up enough for the airfare and I will be thinking of it fondly until then.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Megan E
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed at the Jesmond Hotel for ten nights in December 2011/January 2012 and enjoyed my stay very much. The room was very small but I expected that and as I didn't plan to spend much time in it, it wasn't an issue. Cleanliness and a 'safe' atmosphere are much more important. It was immaculately clean, with the room being made up every day. I had my own ensuite bathroom. The hotel security was very good. And the area was a very safe one. I walked to and from the West End every night to see various shows and felt very secure. Gower Street is very well lit and although busy (on bus route) I found there was no undue noise.

The tube wasn't running for a few days in late December so it was very important to have a good location like this with buses as an alternative, and lots of attractions (and Oxford St for shopping) within walking distance.

Being so close to the British Museum meant you could pop in and out as it's too overwhelming for one visit.

There are plenty of ATMs close by on Russell Square and Tottenham Court Road, and a post box near the corner of Chenies St and Tottenham Court Rd (Chenies St is the street you walk up to Goodge St, the closest tube station).

The staff were polite and helpful with provision of things like an iron and ironing board and the lady serving breakfast was very kind. The breakfasts were good, especially if you took advantage of the cooked breakfast. I was always offered extra toast after the first lot.

Tottenham Court Road runs parallel to Gower St and there are lots of places to eat on it or in the sidestreets running off it. I particularly liked Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast, lunch, early dinner.

I would certainly recommend the hotel as a pleasant and convenient base for a London stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank turlough5
Reviewed 21 January 2012

After extensive research, I decided on the Jesmond Hotel with my daughter. The hotel is in a great location which was important for 2 females travelling together. The breakfasts were great and the lady serving them (not sure of her name) was very attentive and remembered our orders from day to day.

We were there just before Christmas and the decorations and chocolates by the front door were lovely touches. Check out was very easy. We were in the room on street level at the front and there was no noticeable street noise at all.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank lisNSW.Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We (Me, my son and mother) stayed at the Jesmond from 14th of january to Monday the 16th. We had room nr 17 in the basement and we really enjoyed it. At first I wasnt that excited to stay in the basement, the views werent exactly spectacularbut we didnt hear the very busy Gower street at all and we didnt have to climb a lot of stairs so we were pleased.

The room was of an ok size and it was very clean and the beds were better than usual. The TV was very little but it was functional and who comes to London to watch TV? The bathroom wasnt big but it was clean and and quite nice. The toilet was a little bit hard to flush at first but when you learn the trick(pull the handle up before you pull it down) it wasnt an issue.

This is my third stay at one of the Gower street hotels, having previously stayed at the Arosfa and the Ridgemount as well. They are very similiar and all good value in an expensive city. The one thing I didnt like with the Jesmond was the breakfast/day room which is too small. It is probably the nicest room of the hotels but there are too few tables so it is hard to get seated right away if you are more than one. And the full breakfast was good but not as good as the Ridgemounts. And I have to say that the staff was nice but not as friendly as the people at the Arosfa and the Ridgemount.

But we were pleased with our stay and would gladly come back again.

Room Tip: Book a room facing the back if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Matte75
Reviewed 11 January 2012

very good location, friendly, light, clean, quiet. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business