“Small in size, Big on Excellence!”
Review of Gastronhome

Gastronhome
Ranked #12 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 27 - US$ 68
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Clapham / Battersea
Description: Gastronhome is a winner of the Trip advisor awards of excellence 2015 and 2016 -Winner of the open table dinners choice 2015, 2016 and 2017. -Traveler Magazine Top 24 restaurants to eat in London. -El Viajero Fisgon Top 10 restaurants in London Based in the heart of Battersea on Lavender Hill, Gastronhome offers the finest French cuisine and wines served in a homely environment. We propose a popular five course tasting menu with matching wines, as well as a la carte options. Gastronhome boasts, amongst other things, an open plan kitchen, large tables, comfortable seats, as well as a an open terrace for those who choose to be seated in the open air! We're are very excited to be a part of this charming neighbourhood and can't wait to share our passion for delicious cuisine, delectable wines and the art of hosting.
Reviewed 15 August 2017

We have walked past this place many many times and wondered what we might find inside but only went ahead and tried it recently when I noticed it was ranked so highly here on TripAdvisor --- I thought to myself ‘ah, that’s that place we often see’ nearby.

I must say I am a little chuffed to have access to such a fine little piece of France and French fine dining around the Vauxhall/Stockwell/Battersea area, an area that is sadly otherwise so lacking in decent places for nice dinners.

Great experience from start to finish! A really enthusiastic welcome and then it was so gorgeous to be surrounded by waves of French accents during the service…..and to have a few little flirts with attempting to remember a bit of French (even just a teensy bit!).

‘Le G’ cocktail is excellent – start with that! We then went a la carte for three courses and couldn’t fault any of the 6 dishes, certainly not the Crabmeat and Cucumber Roll! Le Chocolat dessert was a treat but I would say there is a just tiny bit of finessing required to make its ‘mirror’ appearance that of the top notch dish that it certainly is taste-wise.

I suppose now we have to head back to try their tasting menu sometime…………..gee WHAT a shame! [Can't wait!]

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
There are newer reviews for Gastronhome

Reviewed 12 August 2017

I love the dishes. I really would like to recommend the veal, sooooo delicious. The old fashion cocktail is a little bit sweet. The environment is quiet, I like it. I think I will come here again.

1  Thank Joachen02
Reviewed 11 August 2017

This is one of the instances that you truly have to believe in your fellow reviewers and head to this little hidden gem. Don't be fooled by the size of this place, its remote location or the decor. Booking is highly advised, and showing up on time is actually a thing.

You see since the restaurant is kind of very far from central London with no accessible underground station nearby, we were worried to be late and somehow we arrived earlier than our expected dinner time. The surprise is that they did offer us a seat but not the menus as they do no want to overwhelm the chef with our orders as the place is really small. Something about the service which bothered me from a french restaurant, as myself and my wife were carrying bags and nobody bothered to help us with our chairs. Bread service is very slow for a small restaurant, and we had to fill up our own water glasses sometimes.

Now onto the food for the June/July Menu:
-Le Tourteau (Crab meat and cucumber roll): a very lovely and simple dish but with the perfect combinations of flavours, it was a refreshing to start with this one. My only comment is that the cucumber was still very watery.
-Le Boeuf (Beef fillet carpaccio): the carpaccio simply melts in your mouth, a very generous serving as well. The tartar with the horseradish cream is very tasteful. My only comment is that it needed salt crystal as it was pretty under seasoned.
-Le Poireau (Baby leek): I am surprised that I would love a vegeterian dish more than than previous two! It was a shame that this is such a delicate and small portion, as this dish is just phenomenal I kept going in for more, so many flavours go in together with each bite!

-Le Lieu (Pan cooked Pollock fillet): My least favourite dish of the day, while the fish itself is exceptionally cooked, other ingredients on the dish do not accompany it too well, they do not elevate the fish, on the contrary they ruined the dish.
-La Caille (Seared quail): a perfect dish to highlight the skills of the chef, the quail was cooked absolutely beautiful, it was a very delicate and sophisticated dish, with very creative flavours, specially the coffee flavoured couscous. This dish was the star of the day and makes you feel you are at a fine dining french restaurant.

-Le Chocolat: Obviously who can say no to a chocolate dessert? It is a mint chocolate cake with a raspberry filling, may sound weird but the combination is just flawless, do not miss out on this!
-La Pêche (Pavlova): This absolutely feels like eating in your dreams, everything just straight out melts in your mouth! Love the innovation with creating a basil marshmallow, wish they would put more on the dish!

2  Thank 8SAB8
Reviewed 10 August 2017

My Girlfriend brought me to Gastronhome last night. We had the tasting menu and the wine matched with each course. The food was delicious, really really well made and innovative. They offered her and alternative to the fish course which she didn't want. that was equally tasty and matched with a different wine. It was impressive how much effort they put into ensuring everyone was satisfied. The decor is not lavish, the room is also quite small which allows for an intimate ambience. Table service is excellent and friendly. I am still torn as to what my favourite course was as they were all unique and brilliant in their own way. I would recommend this place to anyone who is fond of their food and curious as to how flavours can be manipulated into different textures. I have given it 5 stars and I will return, when they change the menu in a couple of months to see what other delights Gastronhome can concoct.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Our friends had been raving for a long time as to how great this place was so we decided to go together. It's an intimate place with just a few tables and it's all the better for it. The service cannot be faulted, the staff spend time talking you through both the menu and wine and are both knowledgeable and friendly. We tried the tasting menu and it was difficult to find fault with any of the elements of any dish - everything was delicious and beautifully presented. This isn't a cheap night out but is totally worth it when you have a good reason for some amazing french food and wine.