“Poor First Impressions but Staff Delightful”
Review of One Canada Square

One Canada Square
Ranked #2,480 of 25,453 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

As we were taking an elderly lady in a wheelchair for a belated Mother’s Day lunch I needed to ask certain questions before booking. I called the restaurant but got no response (this was lunchtime mid-week, perhaps they were too busy to answer the phone?) so I sent an email asking the questions.

The following morning I had received no response so I called and spoke to someone who clearly had bunked off when she should have been attending Charm School. This is how the conversation went.

Me “hello, my name is …. and I emailed yesterday about a booking but haven’t had a response so am just following up with a call and wondered could you help me please”.

Miss Charmless, very curtly “when do you want to book for?”

Me “Well before I book I need some questions answering. I’ve been a few times with friends and really enjoyed it but I’m just checking if you have wheelchair access and do you still have the piano player at the weekend?”

“Yes there is wheelchair access, no we don’t have the piano player. We have a band instead”

“Ah, what sort of music is it? We are bringing a lady in her 80’s so just want to check it’s suitable for her”

“I don’t know, they play different things”

“Erm, so you don’t know the style of music; for example could it be rock, soul, swing, classics?”

“I don’t know, it varies”. Said with no grace whatsoever and making me feel like I was a nuisance for asking.

I realised I was getting nowhere with her but decided to book regardless, as it was convenient for my relative who lives on the Isle of Dogs.

Upon arrival we were warmly greeted and they made room at the table for the wheelchair. Our waitress was informative and charming, I couldnt fault the lady waiting on our table, though our mains took a long time to arrive and we had to ask had they forgotten us as tables that had come in after us were being served before we were. The restaurant wasnt busy so there was no discernible reason for the delays.

The wines we selected were good quality. The food was OK but nothing to rave about. The starters were good (the soup portion miniscule) but the selection for mains was fairly mundane and we ended up with burgers, which were perfectly adequate.

The ‘band’ turned out – thankfully – to be one guy on guitar who sang beautifully and played songs suitable for all ages.

In conclusion I probably would visit again but you really need to sort out whoever answered the phone to me as first impressions count. I work in the industry and if any of our staff had spoken to potential customers like that they would be in trouble.

2  Thank ClaraBella27London
AdamETM, Guest Relations Manager at One Canada Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thanks so much for the feedback, if you would like to get in touch about the visit then please do, my email address is adam@etmgroup.co.uk We are passionate about feedback and I can assure you it would be welcome as we would like to ensure that issues like this do not repeat. Many thanks Adam

Reviewed 23 March 2018

I went to One Canada Square to meet a friend for dinner,
As soon we arrived the manager welcomed us in a friendly manner, the bar was buzzing and the atmosphere in the restaurant was pleasant with a lovely background of music.
The staff was friendly and very attentive but the star of the night was surely the exceptional food.
As starter we had crab with sea broth and sea food risotto with charred monk fish, they were both delicious.
The fallow deer as main course was equally superb and beautifully presented.
As we wanted take a break after the main course we received a perfect treat from the head chef, a refreshing rhubarb sorbet just perfect before the fantastic chocolate dessert!
Great dining experience, definitely worth a try!

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Friendly place the food was amazing very quality delicious taste. I really recommend this place if you’re in town.
Let’s try

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Have been to this restaurant on 15th of March while visiting London and I liked it so much! The food is incredibly delicious and we had lots of seafood stuff. And everybody who works in the restaurant was so professional and nice: it made an atmosphere of this place even greater. Next time I’ll be in London I will certainly visit this place, cause it’s really worth it. Highly recommended if you want to have a lovely dinner. P.S.: Totally liked their cocktail menu and dessert was perfect.

GemmaETM, Guest Relations Manager at One Canada Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Maria M,

Thanks for the great feedback. We always try our best to ensure each occasion you choose us that we exceed expectations. Your comments will be passed on to our team who are always looking to make sure we provide exception quality of produce and excellence of service.

Kind regards
Guest relations team
feedback@etmgroup.co.uk

Reviewed 17 March 2018

It was my fourth visit and each time all I had was the 45 day aged rare breed beef . So this review is pretty narrow. My view is that if you really like something why change it ? It has to be the best steak around . This restaurant also happens to stock my favourite port -Ferreira , so all in all I find no need to seek anywhere else for a steak meal. Chefs Raf and Chris make the place and produce consistently well cooked and fantastically flavoursome beef . The team serving are top notch too at lunch or dinner . If you fancy a proper piece of beef I would highly recommend this place . Leaves nothing to be desired ! Very impressed by the consistent standard and will look to try the other restaurants owned by the same group. Thank you for stocking the aged beef . Difficult to eat anything else ! Note the ratings below for service, value etc are not working but I would rate this a clean 5 on all categories.

Hi Baldeep S,

So pleased to hear you've had an amazing time with us! Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kind regards