2,978 results
All reviews bed dorm russel square station shared room common areas key card kings cross british museum your luggage enjoyed my stay roommates backpackers lock laundry tube pancras drawers
Reviewed 31 March 2018

This is not a place I would normally stay at but after a late arrival on Eurostar I was trapped in London by snow and had to find a bed for the night. Browsing from Paris for a room it was either this - a share of a 10-bed bunkroom at £25 - or a room at the Saint Pancras Renaissance at nearly £300. Not a tough decision.

I knew where to find this place, having done work here in the past, but it could be tricky for a first timer - it's down a narrow alleyway on the North side of Tavistock Place about 1/2 mile from Kings Cross / St Pancras. The check in staff were smiling and helpful despite the late hour and I was soon in my room.

When sharing, you are allocated a bed number as well as a room; and though you have a locking rollaway chest for your stuff you need to provide your own padlock (or buy one at reception, £5.) There's no obvious sockets either, so charging your phone is out. (I found one the following morning and got half an hour while I finished my breakfast - enough for the journey home.) The separate WCs and showers are no more than a few steps from your room, and the one I visited before bed was reasonably clean; however in the morning it was spotless, which was nice to see.
The clientele is generally young, and foreign, and the product of youth's exuberance and distance from home is predictable. There were loud voices in the corridor until 4am. Not nasty, just thoughtless.

I was up at the crack of dawn for breakfast (another £7, bought in advance the night before) and this was worth getting up for. The bacon was merely good but the rest was outstanding. Crisp fresh hash browns, soft creamy scrambled eggs, steaming hot baked beans... superb. The coffee was OK too.

Overall this was a very good choice. Basic for sure, but clean and extremely cheap, and walking distance from a choice of tube stops. Recommended.

Room tip: My 10-bunk shared room was on the ground floor not far from reception and the corridor stayed noisy until the early hours.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Peter P
Genlon, Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, yes we are in a great location for the Eurostar! Especially for late arrivals or early mornings, just a 5 minute walk to Kings Cross St Pancras station.

Yes there are charging ports located in one area in the bedrooms, alternatively we have outlets under the seats in our café area so guests can charge while relaxing having a drink or something to eat.

It is unfortunate that some guests did not be respectful in the corridors, our team is available 24hours a day and is happy to speak to anyone if there are issues.

We hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Generator Hostel London was very centrally located with great access to public transportation. Close to the British Museum, and St. Pancras Station the location can not be better. The best part of the hostel is the bar and common area. The food is top notch and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Only downside is that the shower rooms needs some major love and care. The beds are small but comfortable and noise at night was not a major issue. Overall, a good and pleasant stay.

1  Thank Jay W
Genlon, Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Dear Jay W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hostel after your stay. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. At Generator we always aim to deliver an awesome experience with great service and hospitality, making people feel like they are “home away from home”. It makes us really happy to hear we got it right for you!

We hope to have you staying with us again soon
Gest Relations Team

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with 2 friends last weekend, haven’t really stayed in hostels before this was our first one. Everything you needed was there, bar area was good with friendly staff. Got the cheese burger both evenings we where there as it was a more drink fueld weekend than a flashy weekend away.

Had a few drinks at the bar the first night, then went into Camden. If I was going to London again with friends this would certainly be the place we’d stay, thank you and hopefully see you again.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear 345liamm,

We can only thank you for taking the time to leave this amazing review! It makes us super happy to hear you found everything you needed and that you'll be back. We can only hope to see you again soon!

Guest Relations Team

Reviewed 23 March 2018

The location was excellent, it only takes 5 minute walk to the closest tube station. However, this hostel does not provide free luggage storages. I think this hostel is relatively expensive than the others.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank onehundredimages
Genlon, Manager at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Yes we have a locker room with coin operated lockers available to rent, we always recommend our guests to rent a locker so that you can be sure this secure.

Generator London

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I never felt that the place were actually clean, the bathrooms were always a mess. There are no outlets near the beds and also no individual lighting. My room was in the 6th floor that was a small floor, the elevator only reach to floor 5 and this is hard wit a heavy luggage. Also this floor has to share bathroom with the 5th floor, so, more people.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Genlon, Guest Relation Team at Generator Hostel London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review after your stay.

I am disappointed to read that you found our cleanliness below standard. I can assure you that I housekeeping and maintenance team work very hard to keep everything looking its best. Your feedback will be shared with the team and used as a training tool to help us improve.

I do hope that our 24 hour team were able to help you with some of the points you have raised. Our reception team will always try our best to resolve them.

Regards,