London Guest House
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Hotel 55(London)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnorth actonoff street parkingb bbus stopruns hourscontinental breakfastsingle roombeansroom was cleanawesome staywembley stadiummainline stationsmall fridgeminute walk to the tubetransport linksoyster cardaverage size
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I had to find a B&B near Ealing last minute on a trip to London in January this year. I looked over a few more pricey options but decided to go cheap as it was only for one night.

I had a single room for the bargain price of around £30 including breakfast. The room was tiny, but it was en-suite. A bit of a squeeze but nonetheless I managed perfectly fine. The breakfast was adequate but they only do cold breakfast items, no hot food which is why the price is so good.

The room was well heated and I was never cold. I had some noisy neighbours who insisted on leaving their doors open to talk to one another but apart from that the staff were friendly and the amenities were adequate. The only minor complaints I would have is that my television was awful, the remote didn't work and it was a little scruffy around the edges but for the price everything was absolutely fine.

The man on reception also held my bags for me, free of charge during the day whilst I had to go to work which I thought was excellent service.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank midnighttravel
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Friendly, very helpful staff, good value for money. The continental breakfast was adequate. The room was clean and comfortable. Well situated for transport to the city centre on the Cental Line Underground. Would stay there again any time I'm travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the building, so there was no street noise. If you have a problem with stairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We found the London Guest House to be good value for money. London Hotels/B&Bs (the Guest House is advertised as both depending on where you look) are generally expensive and we found the Guest House to be one of the cheaper ones that still offered acceptable quality.

The hotel is in Acton, which is a little bit out of the way of the city center, but we nevertheless felt safe outside at night. There is a bus stop right next to the hotel for bus 266, which runs every 6-8 min on weekdays and will take you to North Acton tube station on the Central line (walking there takes about 20-25 min). From there it is easy to get to the main sights in the city center. Obviously this location isn’t perfect, but considering the prices you pay for a stay in a more central area it’s really quite acceptable. Get an Oyster card from the shop across the road from the hotel to pay for public transportation.

We arrived late at night (about a quarter to one) which was no problem because the reception desk is manned 24 hours a day (we did specify our arrival time during booking to make sure we would not be considered a no-show). Our room was barely large enough for a bed and a small excuse for a desk (it could just about fit our laptop), but it came complete with a small coffee/tea making facility, a large locker (big enough for the laptop), a flat-screen television and a slightly foul-smelling fridge. Don’t expect much space to store your luggage, but for short trips this is hardly an issue. The bathroom looked very new and clean and had a nice strong shower, but was amazingly small. Especially the toilet area could’ve done with a few extra inches of space: I am quite tall and actually had to sit slightly sideways on the toilet to accommodate my legs.

Service was generally good, with staff at the reception desk always available for advice (which is especially welcome since there was no hotel information in the room). There is wireless internet which is supposedly available for a fee, but we got it for free. Reception desk was also helpful when we were kept up at night by someone in a neighboring room having the television on quite loudly: they went up and asked them to turn it down a bit, which had an immediate effect and allowed us to get back to sleep. However, it also shows that the hotel isn’t very soundproof. Additionally, there is a main road outside and a parking lot at the back, which every now and then featured talking people in the early morning, so do expect some city noise. We also experienced a few interesting quirks that come with a small family-run hotel: on one day the clean towels were late due to a problem with their cleaning service, and on another day our dirty coffee cups were replaced with brand new ones that still had the price tags on.

Breakfast was very limited and just about acceptable. A large television was loudly showing BBC News. The selection of food was minimal, even for a free continental breakfast in a budget hotel. All products looked cheap as well. Still, it was enough to get us started in the morning.

To summarize: book this hotel for its value compared to quality. We recommend it for a short stay: it’s clean, there’s a free breakfast included (albeit a minimal one), the staff is nice and the location is ok. We do not recommend it for a longer stay because the small room and bathroom and the limited selection at breakfast would all become annoying after a while.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank badeendje
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed here for a trip to wembley stadium, staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were very clean and very reasonably priced forLondon

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nigsyswann
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This review is long overdue, but I thought I should share anyway. We stayed at London Guest House in May 2011. I had read the good reviews on Tripadvisor and we decided to book.

We are a family of 4 with 2 children who were 2,5 and 10 months old at then time of travel.

We arrived very late in London and when we stepped off the Tube at North Acton at 11 pm, I discovered I had forgotten the directions to the hotel. Had the phone number though, so I called the hotel and a very helpful voice answered and helped us get there.

The hotel is situated in Acton, a brisk 15 minute walk or 5 minutes by bus from the Tube in North Acton. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. We find walking in London very enjoyable, so most mornings we walked.

I can´t say anything else about the hotel other than that we were very pleased with our entire stay there. We got a room on the ground floor, with a large queen sized bed and a cot for our youngest son. The room was situated at the front of the hotel, so we got the sounds from Horn Lane, but there was no trouble sleeping at all for any of us. Not a lot of traffic in the small hours of the night. The room was well decorated and very clean. Bathroom was very small, but there was no problem doing your business of showering etc in there. The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels provided whenever we wished.

Breakfast was included in the price and we enjoyed that very much too. How often do you get the chance to have crisps (which my wife and kids loved) and muffins (which I loved) without feeling guilty? A holiday is a holiday. Other than that, there was toast, coffee, juices, tea, jam and fruit. All served in a small, but nice and bright breakfast room.

We met 3 or 4 of the staff during our 5 night stay and they were most helpful each and everyone of them. I know that people complain about hotel staff being rude in London, so if nice and helpful staff is important to you, London Guest House is a no- brainer.

If you don´t mind staying a few tube stops away from the very center of London (5 or 6 stops and 15 minutes from Queensway), I can warmly recommend London Guest House.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you might want to ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family