“Favourite place in London: Soho over Shoreditch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Soho Hotel

The Soho Hotel
Ranked #17 of 1,088 Hotels in London
gent
“Favourite place in London: Soho over Shoreditch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

It is not cheap and as more and more people like this hotel promotional fares are rare.

However it is for me the perfect mix of all the essential things a hotel need to do right: professional friendly staff, good beds, rooms with enough space, central location (still prefer Soho over Shoreditch) warm design, personal touch, home feeling.

keep in mind: first time the entry seems a bit bizarre, almost none of the rooms has any view at all. Refuell, the bar -restaurants gets busy / noisy especially just after work hours.

I did try most of the other hotels of the same group, still prefer this one.

Room Tip: top floor if you can afford it :-)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank artica
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Greek first
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed at The Soho for 3 nights and had the best time. I booked the junior suite and it was so luxurious and spacious. Everything about the room and the hotel felt luxurious. staying just before Christmas the hotel also had a very elegant festive feel to it. Service was excellent including room service and the great bar downstairs. Location was perfect for what we wanted- shopping, resturants, bars so instead of grabbing cabs everywhere we were able to walk. Cocktails at the bar were fabulous and all of the staff were so helpful and could not do enough for us. we both loved the honesty bar, so afterhours you could grab a drink in the lounge area or a snack and have some quite time but outside of your room. All round fantastic place to stay and will deffinately treat ourselves next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife is an avid user of trip advisor and many years ago she found the Soho Hotel. Since then we have stayed on many occasions. Brought friends and family to stay with us and sampled almost every room in the house.. I can only explain our time at the Soho Hotel as fabulous. There isn't one occasion I can say anything bad about our experience. They are faultless time and time again. We travel from Wales to London quite often sometimes just the two of us, sometimes with our Daughter. It just feels like home. You always get a warm welcome. They know your preferences. They take care of all your requirements. Car park, Congestion Charges, everything. They get you what ever you want and take care of you and make you feel like your the only person in the hotel. They do a fantastic Breakfast, second to none. Their rooms are all individual, well appointed and tended, a truly Boutique Hotel. They have an amazing Pair of Cinema Rooms beneath the ground floor. A spa, gym, private dining rooms and a vibrant Bar that is always busy. We have frequented for many reasons, pleasure, business and even to recover from operations and tests. And I can think of no other place I'd rather have those experiences than with the team at the Soho Hotel. Well Done Toby Garden.. You run a fantastic Hotel and I look forward staying with you on many more occasions.. SKJ

• Stayed April 2012
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

When I go to London, I usually stay at St Martins Lane which is also nearby. This time around, I was travelling alone on Christmas to spend some quality time alone, so I wanted a more quiet hotel with guest areas, which St Martins do not have. I think the Soho Hotel is great but there were a few setbacks.

---CONS---

- MY ROOM: I paid over 300 Pounds for a double room. It was nicely decorated with a classical touch, yet still modern. Victorian but not old. Nothing like the blunt big chain hotels...However, the room was very SMALL considering the money I had paid. Worse, it was overlooking a very narrow atrium so I was directly facing a wall. Horrible VIEW and very little light. See the room before you settle in.

- The hotel restaurant, bar and mini-bar is obviously very EXPENSIVE. I don't remember paying so much for extras ever before.

- The is no free INTERNET, which is a shame considering the room fees.

- THE FOOD: Although the restaurant in the hotel is very hip in decor and very pleasant to have a few drinks, I cannot say the same for food. The menu is not great and the food is average. For eg, Asia de Cuba in St Martins Lane is out of this world. However, Refuel Restaurant does not come close. Nice wine selection tho.

- I am childishly into fireplaces and I thought I would be enjoying the warmth of the fire in the drawing room while reading my book. But it was a fake. This is not necessarily a con for everybody but I was sooo looking forward to sitting by the fireplace and drinking my mulled wine, I was utterly disappointed when I saw candles burning in the 'fireplace' instead of the fire.

+++PROS+++

+ The friendliest STAFF I have ever seen in my life. Amazing. They were extremely helpful with all my questions and provided me with all the help I needed. When I asked for pancakes, it came with bacon. When I informed them I couldn't eat bacon, they brought me a new dish on the house. And on Christmas eve, I was alone at the sitting room and the staff was so kind to keep me company and struck up a conversation. They made my stay worthwhile.

+ Since I was travelling alone and on Christmas, all the shops and sites were closed down and there was nothing to do but relax at the hotel. The DRAWING ROOM was the most pleasant place to spend long hours writing my articles and reading my book. Very romantic and chilled and they also served food to the table. Most hotels in London do not have an equivalent area for guests to hang out in a quiet and cosy atmosphere.

+ Obviously, very COOL people hang out there. I instantly made two friends, with whom I have kept in touch.

+ The LOCATION was excellent since it was a very short walk to Oxford Street. However, it is also next to Chinatown and I didn't enjoy the neighborhood quite that much.

Overall, this is a great hotel but I wouldn't stay there again with these room rates. If you are willing to pay as much, there are better options.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sine B
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

The location was exciting and perfect (easy walking-distance to all the fun of soho, but set back from the craziness in a quieter area), the staff was terrific, the Old Fashioned at the bar knocked my socks off, and the room was great. Zero complaints - I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple