“Terrible Hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #923 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Manchester UK
“Terrible Hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I have just returned home, after staying 3 nights at the Belgrove hotel. I don't like giving bad reviews about hotels, but in this case I feel I must. I paid £150 for 3 nights, not a lot of money to stay in a London hotel, some people might say. It's a lot of money to me and while I didn't expect the Ritz, I didn't expect to stay in a room with paper either hanging off the walls or scraped off part of the walls.

In my opinion, if the owner couldn't be bothered to make the room presentable, then he/she didn't care about the guests who stayed there.

There was no lampshade on the ceiling light, there were two plug sockets, but you had to get down on your hands and knees and stretch under a unit, if you wanted to plug in your hair dryer. There was no wardrobe to put your clothes in, there wasn't even a chair that you could use to hang your trousers over. There was 2 coat hangers and 5 hooks on the wall.

There were holes in the tiles in the toilet, that had been plugged in with bits of paper. The television had 4 channels, but all the pictures were shadowy. Some might say you don't go to London to watch the television, well I am a 65yr old pensioner and I don't stay out late in the evenings. Because there was a television in the room, I should have been able to tune in to at least the 5 terrestial channels. I could only tune in to 4 channels and all 4 had poor reception.

If the owner couldn't provide a watchable television, then he/she shouldn't have put a television in the room at all.

Outside my room, there was a plug hanging off the wall. I prayed no toddler would see the plug and put their hands in the holes
I went down to breakfast the first morning and was greeted with tea/coffee? No good morning, no smile. Then 2 rounds of toast were plonked on to my table and the waitress flounced off. The next morning, I had breakfast elsewhere and this morning, which was the morning I checked out, I just had two pieces of toast a cup of tea. I only had the toast, because I had to take tablets with food.

I understand people have bad days, but when you are dealing with the public, in a service industry, you should deal with them with a smile on your face and in a polite manner.

I have to say the room and bedlinen was clean, and the receptionists I met were polite. The hotel is also in a great location.

I will not stay in this hotel again, I have stayed in plenty budget hotels, but this is the worst one I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Dandelion1906
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

The room was clean, the sheets have been changed every day and we appreciated the tea/coffee service in the room. The water pressure in the shower was very low. Small room, but we were in it just to sleep, so it was not a problem.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Sophie A
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed here for one night in a triple room - the room was extremely clean and tidy on arrival and had all the amenities we needed - TV, shower and toilet.
The staff were very friendly and the breakfast included in the price was of a good quality.
The room had a double bed and a single and had more than enough room.
When reading the more negative reviews once I had booked I was slightly worried, but I am glas I gave The Belgrove a chance as it is an extremely comfortable hotel and is excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah K
Woodhall Spa, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

We booked this hotel for a one night stay in London and wanted somewhere close to Kings Cross. We have stayed in numerous BB hotels in London and this is by far the worse. Whilst I appreciate this is a budget BB I would at least expect cleanliness however the place is dirty , shabby and run down. We booked a double room and the bed was more a 3/4 size presumably to accomodate the tiny room size. At 3.30am the noise from other rooms started , people moving around, banging doors etc and this went on until around 5.45am. When we checked in we were earlier than the stated time but was told the room was ready as it had just been cleaned, despite this we found old socks under furniture ( had obviously been there a while!). This place needs closing down!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julie g

Travellers are raving about these London hotels