“Superb!”
Review of Lagu

Lagu
Reserve with OpenTable
Lagu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,289 of 25,273 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 28
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Lagu is a proudly authentic cafe serving homemade Japanese cuisine and a tranquil and inviting atmosphere. We are the perfect stop at the top of Lavender Hill to relax and have a cup of tea and some delicious cake, or dine in for a full and pleasant Japanese experience. In the spirit of authenticity, we have a high preference for hiring those who study or speak Japanese, as this not only encourages cultural interaction for staff and customers, but provides customers who wish to speak the language of our heart the opportunity to do so.
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

First time I have bothered to write a review... superb thoughtful food - will definitely be coming again

Reviewed 26 May 2018

I live in the area and have come here for years now to enjoy high quality Japanese food. I have always been impressed by the level of care and attention that has gone into the Bento boxes in particular, which is also why I have not minded the rather high prices.
But... for the past couple of weeks something must have changed cause the Sashimi has not been up to standard, often being cut in a slobbery way. What is supposed to be an art(?) has become something rather different, at Lagu, and I have to admit I was rather embarrassed to bring my Japanese friend for lunch there the other day, seeing that the prices should reflect in amazing food. I am not sure what has changed in this place but it is sad that what used to be one of the rare, authentic Japanese cafes in London has lost its touch.

2  Thank l0nd0nliving
Nerijus K, Owner at Lagu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2018

Afternoon l0nd0nliving, I completrly understand your concern and I'm very very sorry for your unpleasant experience this last weekend. When Lagu opened in 2013 it had a very specific dram of giving customers a peaceful and comfortable environment to enjoy good homemade Japanese cooking and relax.
The restaurant has since changed owners as of about a month and a half ago now, leaving us with a lot to learn and a lot to mend for Lagu to remain open.
None of this is an excuse for your experience, however we would love for you to give us another chance sometime. Lagu is currently experiencing some growing pains, and being only human we have made a few small mistakes herr and there, but arr quickly improving every day.

Our head chef and head waiter are both remaining from before, so regardless of any menu additions or aesthetic changes Lagu may experience, we still do our best to maintain the best experience and quality for all of our customers, even if we have to train new chefs or waiters.

We invite you to join us again sometime so we can make things right and hopefully continue recieving your support in the future.
All the best,
The lagu staff and ownership

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Haven't bothered writing a review for a while had to put one on as I noticed that some bellend has said their FSA rating is 1/5. This isn't true, they are 4/5 and the food here is brilliant. It is also really friendly, has a lovely peaceful atmosphere and authentic Japanese dishes.

I suspect the reason they haven't got a 5/5 is as non native speakers (the staff I spoke to were Japanese and not fully fluent in English) it can be hard to fill out the relevant forms, as the place was absolutely spotless.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

The quality of the food is very good and the place is very nice. Perfect for a date!
The waitress is very friendly and very helpful on suggesting the dishes.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

If you're looking for something special. This is it. Very highly recommended!
Delicious authentic Japanese food served efficiently in a clean, bright homely setting and staff you want to hug! Treat yourselves! Just do it.

6  Thank NikkiB2204