“The recent reviews are correct. Avoid.”
Review of The Alma

The Alma
Ranked #7,370 of 23,957 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

This place has gone seriously downhill. As others have indicated, it's neither kid nor dog friendly any more. But that's not the worst of it.

1. Their COVID registration sucks. Why only have one person doing it, who is also taking drinks orders at the bar at the same time? There was a queue out the door, with a heavily pregnant woman in front of me who was clearly in need of sitting down, just because of this stupid system.

2. Service - very, very poor now. They could easily have gotten another two rounds worth of drinks out of our table had the service staff not been ignoring us during our strict 2 hour slot. Also, it was rude.

3. Food is bad. Prices have gone up everywhere, sure, but they really need to up their game. The menu selection is also poor. None of us liked our food but there was no one paying attention to our table to complain to.

The only thing going for this place is the outdoor space, but compared to how other pubs are run (eg the White Hart), it really isn't worth it.

The other reviews are right - GO ELSEWHERE. Such a shame as it was such a nice pub before.

2  Thank dtudrb6u9uhvt
Write a reviewReviews (212)

Reviewed 23 May 2021

We were excited to go for Sunday Lunch as we had heard the food was great and they were dog friendly. Arrived and their COVID registration system was chaotic at best - one point of entry, one person taking registrations, Sunday lunchtime crowd. Our son was told to wait outside while they checked in a group of people who arrived after us. We were given a table by the door - asked for one at the back as we had our dog but were told it was already allocated - no problem. Asked to speak to the Manager as by then we were already feeling unwelcome. Manager came over, told us that their system didn't allow changes to tables but that he would tell the owner - no problem again. Owner ended up being the person who was checking people in. Was told of our feedback but didn't even bother to come and talk to us himself. I don't have a problem with the fact that they couldn't move tables (literally swap us with another 4 table which was empty) but that the owner and manager couldn't be bothered to take feedback. Sitting by the door with a dog meant none of us could settle and didn't make for a comfortable lunch. We felt so upset by the way we were treated we didn't stay for lunch. Don't recommend if you're not trendy, have kids or a dog.

Reviewed 16 May 2021

Should be clearer on web page that under 10 year olds barred, no idea why, but after queuing in the rain we were turned away

2  Thank Terry911
Reviewed 18 September 2020 via mobile

First up these guys are red hot on Covid precautions. Temperature checked on my way in and asked to email them for track and trace. And that's a good thing. Good range of beers without the mass brands. Good food, fast friendly service. I look forward to going back to the Alma soon.

Date of visit: September 2020
2  Thank Sarflunden
Reviewed 17 September 2020 via mobile

I am coeliac and had emailed before arriving to check that I could eat there. The member of staff emailing me was really helpful and patient in explaining my options and their safety procedures in the kitchen to minimise cross contamination risk. I am always a little nervous to try to food because I do get so so poorly if I eat gluten. When we arrived the member of staff looking after us could not have been friendlier. She talked me through the whole menu. Their chips have a separate fryer (so rare for a pub!!!) I had a few options to choose from. They even were able to tell me that there was no risk of cross contamination- which was brilliant! They took it very seriously.

I had steak and chips and it was really tasty + it didn’t make me poorly so it clearly was made safely! Will 100% be back again. It wasn’t the cheapest menu, nor was it the absolute best steak I have had, but for a local pub to cater so brilliantly to me and for the food to be so good I really appreciate.

Do always make sure you have a conversation though before you eat here as sometimes procedures do change!

Date of visit: August 2020