“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN COVENT GARDEN A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. Jamie's Italian Covent Garden, right in the heart of central London, is perfectly located for the West End's theatre-goers, weekend shoppers, tourists and locals alike. The restaurant is small but perfectly formed, and always buzzing with activity - make sure you stop by and soak up the atmosphere while tucking into some delicious food and a cocktail or two. They open up the outdoor space in the summer too, which is perfect for relaxed lunches and al fresco dinners when the weather's fine.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Very busy , not enough staff to cope with it.
Too many items ‘off the menu’ Bank holiday apparently was the reason!
Husband ordered the small portions of carbonara.........TINY and you had to look very hard for the bacon Approx £7 for a dish which probably cost less than 50p.

2  Thank Baglin195

Reviewed 2 April 2018

The atmosphere is probably the only positive point I have. Waiting times were bad. Menu is too simple and basic. Food is very basic, not much taste.

Jamie's Italian R, Manager at Jamie's Italian Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

HI Advising_y0u

Thank you very much for your feedback

Ill make sure it gets passed on to our food development team for review

If you would like to discuss your experience a bit further, Please email me at Juan.betancur@jamiesitalian.com

Juan Betancur

Reviewed 1 April 2018

...or at any Jamie’s Italian for that matter; it is a quick turnaround environment and empties out and fills up again before you know it! We love Jamie’s, great flavours & reasonably priced and were pleased to read this branch would not be one of the restaurants scheduled to be closed in the forthcoming cost cutting exercise (our preferred pre-show meal venue, our other favourite being at Gatwick airport), in fact chatting to the front of house duty manager (?) it sounds like the Covent Garden branch will be having a refurb very soon.
We were about 1/2 hour early for our table, we could’ve sat down straightaway however if we had we would’ve been too early for the theatre so had a drink at the bar first; when we were ready we asked to be shown to our table. I felt we had been sitting for quite a while before a server came over to ask what drinks we would like and to tell us about the daily specials (and that one of the menu items was not available :/ )
He saw I had a Jamie’s Gold Card but unusually did not scan it and told us about the special promotion - a bottle of prosecco, that was my drink for the meal sorted ;)). A short while later another server came over to apologise that his colleague had not scanned my card and as he was talking to us I realised we knew him from the Westfield Stratford branch, Ivo(?) remained as our server for the rest of the meal :)
Ok so the food...firstly some of our favourites have been renamed/taken off the menu :( but restaurants need to mix it up otherwise the menu can get stale so to speak!
The World’s Best Olives are now “Big Green Olive in ice” unfortunately they had run out :( but we were given 4 extra portions (free of charge) of the Club Taster which were black olives with a black olive tapenade
The Ultimate Garlic Bread has been replaced by a garlic flatbread which at Ivo’s suggestion we had with the extra mozzarella on while we finally decided what we were going to eat - it’s a very thick flatbread but very tasty
My husband particularly likes the Montepulciano red wine (I even like it, much to his disgust LOL!) unfortunately they had run out of this too :(( looks like he had the last glass at the bar! Ivo brought over two alternatives for him to taste and settled on the Primitivo, not quite a full bodied but palatable
We ordered four starters - the Crispy Squid is now Buttermilk Squid although when it was brought to the table the waitress still said “crispy”, as did the bill at the end of the meal ;) to be honest it didn’t look quite as appealing to the eye as it was served on a plate whereas the previous incarnation was served in a big “bowl” with greaseproof paper
The other starters were a crab bruschetta, pate bruschetta and a tomato arancini, nothing wrong with these and very tasty :)
I had the mushroom “ravioli” which when it arrived realised I have had before although it has previously been called mushroom “caramelle” as the pasta is shaped like a wrapped boiled sweet. Hubby had the seafood pasta which was one of the daily specials
Oh, we usually share a large bottle of sparkling water too...no big bottles so were asked if we’d like 2 small ones, just a shame they are less cost effective :(
Other menu changes...no more Fogolar brandy or Vin Santo either of which my husband would end his meal with usually :(( luckily they still had some Vin Santo in stock :))
All in all, even with the items that were not available & the menu changes, we had a good meal and eventually good service once Ivo was on the case :)

HI wendy119

Many thanks for such a complete feedback.

We are glad that you felt well treated and looked after in special by Ivo, now you know that he is here you can become our regular!!!

Please feel free to contact me at Juan.betancur@jamiesitalian.com if you would like to discuss your experience a bit further.

Juan Betancur

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This was our second visit in four months. Wouldn't normally review a place again but seeing as how it seems to be getting a few bad reviews thought I would try and redress the balance. Started with Italian nachos(fried ravioli), which were as good as the first time we had them. I had the burger, my partner had the gnocchi and my daughter had the lasagne. Easiest thing to say is that all our plates were empty when we finished! My burger was really good and I tried some of my daughter's lasagne which was also very good. Had two desserts, the chocolate brownie and the Torta Di Nada, blueberry cake with olive oil which was unbelievably light. Service was a bit slow, but it was very, very busy so understandable. Would have no hesitation in recommending.

James E, Manager at Jamie's Italian Covent Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Hey Nick,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback, i'm so happy you have taken the time to share your experience. Please send me an email at james.eastman@jamiesitalian.com when you get a minute and i'd love to offer you a VIP visit when your next in the area.

I look forward to hearing from you

Best wishes

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

found the menu choices to be quite disapointing not a great selection and found was nothing special expected a bit better

Hello there,

I'm so sorry you felt underwhelmed by our menu choices during your recent visit. Your feedback is vital for our on going passion for food.

How could our menu choices be more attractive? How can we improve?