All reviews british museum russell square semi ensuite en suite facilities continental breakfast quiet street holborn tube the upper floors budget hotels covent garden london standards excellent location min walk bloomsbury
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Great room. Friendly staff that were helpful and happy. Nice decor, tastefully done. Though small it maximised the space with all the things you need Great location close to British Museum, restaurants, shops and the metro. Quiet . Felt like a safe area walking around by myself at night. The Metro is so close you don't need to bother with a taxi. The same metro line goes to the airport.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Marisa G
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable, spacious and clean room, well-maintained hotel, handy for Russell Square and Holborn tubes. Very nice indeed - and a great deal better than I had a right to expect for the minimal price I paid on lastminute.com. There is no lift and I booked a semi-ensuite so the loo was a short walk down the passage, but if you're OK with this then you'll have a very comfortable stay. Oh and the wi-fi is free.

Room tip: No lift to the upper floors
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank PeterChesham_12
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We stayed one night on 28 Nov . Excellent reception staff. consierge and breakfast staff. Rooms spotless and beds clean crisp bedding. No toilet in room but wash basin and shower. the toilet was just outside our room and was spotlessly clean. A very good nights sleep. A great selection for the inclusive continental breakfast. can have cooked for a supplement. would stay again if in London. excellent all round experience.

Date of stay: November 2012
1  Thank KeithH380
Reviewed 14 November 2012

What is good - location (Bloomsbury/BM), and a fair price.

What is very bad - the noise in room number 8; it was not so much the rumble of the tube, as the noise generated by the staff as they prepared the breakfast area which is immediately above. Back and forth, back and forth they walked waking us up at 6:00am.

What is poor - The comforter on the bed was the wrong size, so it caused discomfort to my wife. Additionally quoting without VAT is sly - IMO

Room tip: Avoid room 8
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying this place was 100% the best location for us in London.
It is right in the middle of Covent Garden, Soho, the theatre district, 2 minutes walk from the strand and all the shops. It is worth overlooking their small short comings for all of this.
It is an old hotel and I can appreciate that. It is also heritage, making renovations difficult.
However, as another reviewer has also mentioned, there was the occasional long dark hair in our bed sheets. I have very short hair and so does my partner so no way it was ours.
The toilet on our floor, communal but only 3 rooms share so you never run into each other, didn't lock for females. Our hotel room door also jammed, the shower flooded and the window to outside wouldn't lock, but we went down to the reception and they moved us the next morning.
Like I said, the cleaning and maintenance does need work. The hotel does not feel as though it is loved, but the location is fantastic

Date of stay: May 2012