“I liked it - not as bad as you would think”

Piccadilly Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #545 of 871 Speciality Lodging in London
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“I liked it - not as bad as you would think”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

In March 2012 I went to Move It (dance conference) and stayed at Piccadilly Backpackers.
Before my trip I searched for reviews on this hostel here on TripAdvisor and must say I was not impressed but I was travelling with a group of 20 people so I didn't really have a choice. Now that I am back home I can't honestly say that I did not like it, in my experience it is a lot better than what some of the reviews on here inform.
Since I went to London only to attend that conference I wasn't at the hostel much so I don't have a lot of experience of the staff or service but I can say that there was never any trouble, even though we were quite a large group, everything went smoothly I'd say.
Ok maybe this isn't the cleanest hostel but it didn't bother me much...just a tiny bit...but I didn't see any bugs or anything like that :) Bathroom was just average - nothing disgusting. The floor where the showers are is ALWAYS wet...and, oh yeah, the showers are really small...and I mean REALLY small, it is hard to move around just to put shampoo in your hair.
The beds are very different, considering comfort. The room I stayed in had two bunk beds, two mattresses were all right - you could feel the springs a little bit, one was really good and one had springs just ready to pop out any minute.

The only thing I can say that I did not like was that the elevator is extreeeemely slow. Maybe if there were only 3 travelling together you would take the elevator or you were going to the 10th floor or something like that but there were 20 of us (we would probably take around 10 hours going up and down with the elevator) going to the 4th floor...that's 80 steps...with a bag that weighs 16 kgs. My arms were sore...all I can say. I can only imagine the pain if we would've been at a higher floor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hostel is located right in the center of London, 20 m away from Picadilly Circus. I totally recommend it. Toillets and showers are quite clean, breakfast is poor.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tudor0206
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Location is great, 20 meters from metro. Elevator worked. Showers and WC was clean. I recieved exactly what I expected.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Kunming, China
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights on a university trip - worst hostel i've ever stayed in! When you get there it's just a small yellow room where you get given your key card. The lift just didn't work and we were on the 3rd floor - not too bad but got annoying and would be worse if you were higher up obviously! We got to the room and it was just awful. The doors of some of the cupboards wouldn't shut and one of the rungs on one of the bunk beds was hanging off - they clearly hadn't even tried to repair it which made it extremely difficult to get onto the top bunk. The floor was dirty and we found broken crisps on one of the mattresses! You have to go and collect your bedding from the 4th floor on arrival and make your own bed but the bedding came in plastic wrapping so we thought atleast we knew the sheets were clean! However the blanket you were provided with was very used and smelly. The floor was dirty and you felt like you had to constantly wear shoes. The workers told us that you had to show your key card to get into the building but I was only ever asked once which I thought was a bit strange! The art on the walls is awful. I saw a lot of different rooms being on a University trip and none of them looked anything like the ones on their website - it was just horrible! Another thing that had a massive impact on our stay was the toilets and showers. They are communal and there are NO en-suite rooms at all. There is one sink and one mirror in the communal toilets and trying to do your make-up or brush your teeth is a nightmare! The showers were temperamental and not enjoyable! One thing the hostel has got for it is location, but I can guarantee that you can't get much worse so do not stay here! It's right on Piccadilly Circus and it's obviously something a tourist wants to see but there's no big deal about staying next to it. I've heard there is a good YHA hostel on Oxford Road and there is another called London Thameside where I have stayed which is really nice and would recommend! Honestly find somewhere else, even if you're a few stops on the tube outside of the centre, your stay in London will be so much better! When I first looked at the reviews on here I thought "oh well it can't be THAT bad" but it is! The only way I can describe it is Prison with really horrible art on the walls.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, and if you really do have to no matter what, take your own sleeping bag/blanket...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank charliegum

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here with my husband in a private room...it was ok as wee were pretty desperate for cheap accommodation and were willing to rough it a little...but we couldn't wait to get out....

Staff were very rude and unfriendly. The lift was broken a lot of the time and we were on the 7th floor (which was horrible when we were leaving and had to lug suitcases down all those stairs).

Photos on the website are misleading as it is very old and run down....not hip and modern as they would have you believe. No kitchen except a microwave and no fridges. Room did not have a washbasin. Showers were so tiny my husband could barley move his arms and he was disgusted every time he had to use the mens bathrooms as they were unhygienic. The girls bathrooms usually had a line up and were also tiny and impossible to keep your things dry that you plan to change into...plus they had shower curtains which was disgusting.

If you want central london backpacker accommodation go to the YHA at Oxford Street. It is EXCELLENT. It was the same price for a private room as Piccadilly and 1,000,000 times better with fully equipped kitchen, microwaves, cutlery, crockery, and clean modern everything!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple