“Never felt so humiliated in my life!!!”
Review of 1 Lexham Gardens

1 Lexham Gardens
Ranked #899 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I pre-booked this hotel as the photos on their website looked quite nice. On our check in day, we were told there was a water leak problem and so they had to move all their guests to other hotels. They booked us in to a hotel nearby which they said their sister hotel, quickly refunded our money and gave a letter of apology, dated 6 months ago!!!. So when we got to this new hotel, the guy at the reception said that he never agreed such a booking and was not even aware of it. Anyway, he contacted Lexham and between them they agreed to book us in however after seeing the standard of the room and the surrounding, we decided we'd rather not have a place to sleep in for the night and we were even willing to go back home and waste the whole trip for it. It was that bad. Anyway, Lexham Gardens has no thought or concern at all for their guests and no customer service...Please read other people's reviews...There are a lot better hotels in the area. Lessons learned for me though.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rands-David
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in room 207. A clean, simple, restful room. Small but perfectly adequate shower/ sink/toilet. Reception and dining area in very good condition. Continental breakfast which was nice. Staff friendly, especially the blond girl in glasses on reception, she is a credit to the hotel. Great location, central london but not too noisy. Great value for money, would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: make sure you have £5 deposit for room key available on check in
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lincolnmoo
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Had to give this apology for a hotel a 1rating otherwise could not write review.We didn't even get to stay but the treatment we received was beyond anything I could imagine.
We booked one night over the net for today and arrived at hotel reception around 13:00 hrs. We were told no rooms were available till 14:00 hrs as the receptionist scanned the room list. That's ok we said, we would wander down to the science museum for a couple of hours and book in later. We got back at around 16:00 hrs and then the trouble started. We were told that due to maintenance troubles they were shifting us to a sister hotel just down the road. We were hurriedly given a refund a letter of apology signed by Adam the revenue Manager with a map. We should have smelled a rat there and then as the letter was dated 24th October 2011 and the grammar was that of a child. We went to this alternative hotel it was a slum I kid you not. The man at the entrance table, not a reception even to a blind person, was not expecting us. He showed us a room which stank and the bathroom was disgusting. It was frankly a hotel from hell. We left and could not stay there it was disgusting.
This treatment from Lexham Gardens Hotel was more than outrageous. I phoned them and the receptionist told me all guests were affected and that meant they had to be found alternative accomodation. They are obviously liars. Look at the other reviews for this hotel, avoid it at any cost. There we were at gone 16:00 hrs 300 miles from home no accomodation and an appointment in London next day. We eventually found a great hotel which was ten times Lexham Gardens Hotel smart and stylish and. . . Only 7 pounds more expensive which goes to show you don't have to put up with these con merchants. Stay clear of this hotel at all costs. . . You have been warned.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Mikeyuk1960
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The reason we booked this hotel was purely based on location and price. However, after staying one of two nights in this establishment I would NEVER return to this hotel. We arrived at 9 am yesterday, aware that we would not be able to check into our room until 2pm my partner had telephoned earlier asking if we could leave out luggage in the hotel until our room was ready so we didn't have to carry it around with us for the next 4 hours. He was told this would be fine but that there would be a £1 charge for doing so. Neither of us had a problem with this as we assumed our bags would be put in a store room or at least a cupboard. Upon arriving we discovered this was not the case. "Just put your bags by that sofa" the receptionist told us. I enquired as to when they would be taken away and was met with a baffled expression. She informed me that the £1 charge was the fee for her to secure our bags, yet the bags were to be left in the lobby for four hours? Ironically my partner noticed a sign as we were leaving the hotel stating that bags were not be left unattended. Eventually she accepted my partners suggestion of putting out luggage behind the reception counter.

We left the hotel, went about put business and returned to check into our room around 2:30 pm. We were given our luggage from behind the counter and our room key card. My partner was asked to put down a £5 deposit for the key card. The explaination for this was that many people leave the hotel without returning their key card, surely it would be more acceptable to inform customers that unless they return the key they will be charged a late check out fee? It is not uncommon in many hotels, that you are required to hand over the key upon checking out. After taking a very crampt lift ride up to our floor we discovered that the key card did not I fact work! My partner returned to the reception and was informed the hotel had been having issues with keys not working properly since the clocks went forward. A member of staff accompanied him back to our room with a number of keys, after eventually finding one that worked we were able to get into our room.

The room was small, and not very clean. It had a large sash window that didn't close properly. The bathroom was also small but clean, the shower cubicle was a lovely big corner shower. After unpacking our things we then left the hotel, returning at around 10pm to discover there was no hot water in the bathroom. We put this down to the fact that it was late and perhaps the hot water tank was empty.

We got up the following morning around 9am, I discovered that the shower didn't work, after telephoning the reception we were instructed to let the sink run for 2 minutes before using the shower (why didn't we think of that!!??). After trying this the shower did work but there was no hot water. Reception sent someone up to investigate the matter who then told us that they would give us another room to shower in but we would not be able to change rooms as they were fully booked. We were advised to wait 10 minutes for a phone call with regards to our temporary room. After half an hour my partner spoke to a male member of staff who informed us that there was no hot water in the hotel and we would not be able to shower until 4pm. After asking for a refund (as we had paid in advance) we were told that the manager could only authorise such matters and he/she was not available as they didn't work on Sundays and they didn't have a deputy manager either. So, I write this review as my partner is out trying to find us another hotel to stay in as we can not possibly sleep another night in this disgraceful establishment. No hot water, no competence, no managers. This place should be shut down!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Jessicakes87
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I booked a single room, and for a hotel in a peak area of London for a one night stop over in London, it was good value for money.

The hotel was easy to find; clearly signposted, and the map was very detailed in how to get there.

Upon arrival, I was suddenly surprised that he asked for ID, not something I have ever had in my 7 years of Business travel in the UK, but since I had no passport with me, he accepted a card with my name on it. I was then surprised to be told I had to pay £5 cash deposit for the room key. Again, no prior warning of this. Forewarning would have been better.

Following checkin, I noticed I had been upgraded to a Twin room for 1, and the extra space was nice. Despite being simply decorated: no headboards on the bed, no desk (take note if your not comfortable to work from a bed top), the room was very clean and well presented (Though a bit tight space between bed end and wardrobe). Despite being street side, the noise was very low, and the bathroom, though small and simple was clean with no major defects

I tell a lie; one small 'defect' of the bathroom. It was probably designed by a female. The toilet seat wouldn't stay up on its own. Bit of a nuisance for a male.

Breakfast on the other hand was a bit meager and struggling for choice. A few suggestions would be to consider Yogurts, better selection of fruit, and a wider choice of cereals (not all of us like cornflakes or branflakes). I only settled for a glass of Orange, and they spared me the charge for that.

One minor issue was when I asked to leave my bag was to discover that it was stored right next to the front door, in the foyer. No locks, not even a closed door. I was willing to pay the £1 for the day, but not if its just left randomly out in the Foyer where anyone can just lift it and be gone.

Cameras are all well and good, but Cameras do not guarantee I'll get it back if it was stolen.

All in all, a suitable stay for a 1-nighter, though maybe room for improvement on the Breakfast front and better storage option for bags.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are fairly quiet
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business