“Service !Q!!”
Review of Jubilee Hotel

Jubilee Hotel
Ranked #917 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Service unknown, nobody at the reception to help, was alone with heavy suitcase - nobody gave me a hand, tried to get a phonecall at 21:30, nobody at the reception, asked for a possibility to put somethin in a fridge - no way possible.They say there is Wlan available, yes, but what a pricetag!
Ok, the amount I have to pay is reasonable - but a little bit of service or only a person at the reception which is nice would be a great advantage.
Like this I say STAY AWAY - lousy service

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Years ago I stayed here as a broke undergrad student, and on a spur of the moment trip back to London, I thought it would be interesting to experience it again years later from a totally different perspective. Basically, it’s a bare boned B&B in the classic London tradition. I stayed here for three nights from 18 July, 2011onward. My en-suite room was very basic, but reasonably clean. You can get a cheaper room with shared bath, but after having stuck my head into the shared bathroom on one floor, I wouldn’t recommend that route, unless you economically absolutely have to. The building has no lifts, so keep that in mind. If you end up on the 5th floor, like I was, you’ll be huffing and puffing getting your things up and down. They do serve breakfast, but I did not sample it during my stay, so can’t comment on it. There is wireless, at a reasonable cost, with a strong signal, so no weak drop-out problems, as is often the case with budget places.

The best thing about this place is the Location, which is about 3-4 min’s walk from Victoria Station. The other positive is the price. London is a hotel city, but the days of getting dirt cheap places are long over. Even ‘budget’ places are pricey. Jubilee, and places in that immediate area, (Hugh St, Belgrave Rd, etc), is still your best bet for affordable accommodations. I was here only for a few days exclusively to check out West End theatre (see my review on one of them; Wicked), the London Museum, and some shopping at Harrods, so I didn’t spend a lot of time in the room. Will I stay here again? Likely not, as this was kind of a sentimental stay reliving some old memories, but if you’re looking for a cheap place that’s reasonably clean, then go for it. Overall I think it is one of the better B&B’s in that area, but you do get what you pay for. You also might want to try Comfort Inn, which a few seconds walk away, if you want this area but with more modern facilities. Cost will be about 50% more than Jubilee. Likely I’ll try there on my next visit to London.

Room Tip: Get a private bath, it's worth the few extra pounds
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stay at modest hotels in most places because that leaves us more money to explore the area. When I booked this hotel, I felt it would be similar to Cherry Court Hotel which is a very modest hotel nearby. I was quite wrong. The hotel has a bad odor, is run down (rotting baseboards, rusted pipes, toilet so chipped and banged up that it always looks like there is something in it), and is dirty. The shower curtain in the shower looks like it was retrieved from a dumpster. Shower curtains are maybe 5 bucks, right? Why on earth is this stained, disgusting shower curtain still in use?

Housekeeping is a joke. My bed didn't even have a fitted sheet on it! It had a flat sheet laying on it tucked in on the sides with the top 4 inches of mattress showing under the pillow. There was a second flat sheet then a blanket (none of the 5 blankets in the room matched) which felt like the scrubby end of a sponge, and then the bedspread. The pillow was flat and hard. The other 4 beds were similar except the double bed felt as if it was box springs only, with no mattress. It was just awful. The first day housekeeping came, they made 3 beds and left. Two beds remained completely unmade. The trash was not emptied, the shower was not cleaned, sweeper wasn't run, and we didn't get new towels.

A funny thing happened the last day we were there. While my husband was blow drying his hair, there was a loud "Boom!" and all the outlets shut off. We had clearly blown a fuse or something. We called the front desk and a woman answered and said she'd be right down (never came) and once we asked the housekeeping guy to fix it and he said he didn't know how to check the fuses or breaker box, etc. but he would ask someone else at 10. Annoyed, my husband walked up to the box in the hall, flipped it open, saw which one had blown, and reset it. It's ridiculous when guests have to resort to fix-it work themselves!

The only highlight of the hotel is the staff. The man who ran the front desk in the daytime was obviously an intelligent man, courteous, informed, and actually just kind of cool. He recommended plays at the West End for us, etc. I also noticed that all of the other workers there seemed to come to him with every problem - key doesn't work, can't find stuff, etc. - they don't handle those problems but rather come to him. This is typical I have found in situations where there is one worker who is much better than the others - he ends up doing everything because people just take it for granted that he will handle it. I hope that main daytime desk manager gets a better job someday because he is too nice and too smart and too good at his job to deserve to have to manage this awful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We picked this hotel because of its location. With the price we paid during the Royal Wedding period, I think it has offered the best. Yes, the room was small but it was tidy and clean enough. The breakfast was good also. I would have no complain.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank EKC2011
Reviewed 7 May 2011

stayed at this hotel february 2011
the bedroom was on the top floor with no lift and 85 stairs to climb up and down every day
the bedroom was very small with nowhere to put your belongings.
The whole place could do with a compleat makeover.
Breakfast is cereal and cold toast with a pot of cheap yogurt .
Tea is served in a heated flask wich is pored into you cup at the table.
Teapots milk and suger on your table are non existant.
I would never stay here again

Room Tip: Do not think there is a good room
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple