Macdonald Hotel
Doubletree
US$ 395
US$ 360
  • Room Service
Park Grand London Hyde Park(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 144
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 160
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 120
US$ 110
  • Restaurant
Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 176
US$ 227
  • Pool
US$ 865
  • Restaurant
All reviewsenglish breakfastkings crossst pancrasshared bathroombudget hotelyogurttriple roomno elevatorrooms are smalldecent breakfastbed and breakfastfamily roomtea and coffeevisit londoneurostarstationshower
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is the best value for money. It does not pretend to be an upmarket hotel, but it is clean, comfortable, the staff are helpful, the location is incredible, and it is cheap. The rooms are small, but one spends very little time in one's room. The money I save I can spend on my holiday. I have stayed here for several years on my annual trips, and it is my London home.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I sometimes feel like I must have stayed in a completely different hotel than the other reviewers but I read the review from 'disappointed' and agree with everything there. I stay in hotels for 250-275 nights of the year. I chose this hotel because of the location and I didn't want to spend and arm and a leg for accommodation which you can easily do in London. We had a wonderful greeting and we were shown to our room which was in fact, spotless! As I know that London rooms are usually quite small we booked a family size room for the two of us at £115 or about $200US dollars for the night. Our room measured 9 feet by 11 feet with a small "double?" bed in one corner and very small bunks built into the opposite wall. The two of us bumped into each other continuously, so I don't know how a family would have managed. Our ensuite was 3 feet by 7 feet which is rather what I expected. What I did not expect was towels that were so threadbare that they started to rip when used. They of course, were also very clean. Cleanliness was never and issue unless you were trying to shower. There was barely a trickle of water and I worked that sop and worked that soap but could never come up with a lather. The bed was the hardest bed I have ever slept in with threadbare sheets and blankets and a pillow that was about an inch thick. All very clean. Our room was right at the top of a stairway and when the front door was open and closed our door rattled and then the window rattled so bad we thought it might fall out. This happened all through our stay. As we were by the stairs, we also heard every person who trudged up and down the stairs as our room shared a wall with the stairwell.
As there is 60 rooms in this hotel and only 5-6 tables in the dining room, we decided to have a later breakfast in order to miss the rush. We arrived about 1/2 hour before the end of breakfast time and the same woman who had greeted us so warmly the day before, barely has a word for us. We are not asked anything or really acknowledged but in about 10 minutes we were served a small plate with one egg, one rasher of bacon, one sausage and about a teaspoon on beans. We are checked on from the kitchen during the whole meal and then before we had even finished, our plates were cleared and we were made to feel like we needed to leave. As there was nobody waiting and 2 empty tables, we were quite bewildered. As I shop in the UK quite often I would say that the breakfast cost was around £1.50 for each of us which I thought was very cheap considering that we paid £115 for the night.
I thought long and hard about leaving this review as I hate to leave less than positive reviews but I wanted to share my experience with this hotel.
In comparison, we stayed in Edinburgh for the next 2 nights. Edinburgh is not an inexpensive city either but we stayed in a lovely little hotel just a few blocks off of Princes Street. We had a large, beautiful room with wonderful large comfortable bed and huge ensuite with luxury toiletries and a huge, fluffy towels. We had an amazing and leisurely breakfast with fruit, cereal, breads and anything cooked that we wanted. We only paid £60 a night here. Almost have of what we paid at Macdonald Hotel and received so much more!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay her, make sure you choose a room that is not next to a stairwell or at the top of the stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ScottishDreamTours
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Kings cross, St pancreas down the street and across the road, how convenient. Room was adequate, what else do you want other than a comfy bed, clean sheets and towels. Clean toilet and shower, well that's what we got!!!! Adequate breakfast - orange juice, cornflakes, english breakfast, tea and toast - what else would one want to start their day!!!!! The lady and gent on the front desk were friendly and helpful, however the ladies serving breakfast were very efficient, but don't think they could understand english very well, so minimal communication. Had to queue for breakfast on Sunday morning, no problem tho. Would defo stay at Macdonald again and recommend to others

Room Tip: Our room view was the square room 205
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I needed a single bed in north London for a night. This was cheap and I decided to book as I would only be using the room for about 9 hours. The bed was comfortable enough, the room was warm, and the en-suite was Ok. However, balancing the temperature in the shower was a bit a challenge - hot then tepid than back to scalding - so a quick shower before it changed again. Breakfast was very busy and there was a queue to get a table, but I had a reasonable, cooked meal on a quality formica table. Mixed opinion - some good things, some Ok. It was clean, extremely well located and the staff are very friendly and there is a good speed free internet service. In sum, I would stay again as it was such excellent value.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Excellent B&B Hotel. I stay here quite regularily, whilst visiting London. I know all the friendly staff by name and vice versa, so feels good not to be a number. Spotlessly clean and excellent, eat as much as you want, breakfast, with great choice. Kings Cross is an excellent hub for transport, both local, national and international. Excellent prices too, for central London. Located in a quiet square, with a small park, you don't get the noise of the busy Euston Road, just down the way. Can not recommend highly enough.