“Disappointed too!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 567 London B&B and Inns
Cle Elum, Washington
“Disappointed too!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I sometimes feel like I must have stayed in a completely different hotel than the other reviewers but I read the review from 'disappointed' and agree with everything there. I stay in hotels for 250-275 nights of the year. I chose this hotel because of the location and I didn't want to spend and arm and a leg for accommodation which you can easily do in London. We had a wonderful greeting and we were shown to our room which was in fact, spotless! As I know that London rooms are usually quite small we booked a family size room for the two of us at £115 or about $200US dollars for the night. Our room measured 9 feet by 11 feet with a small "double?" bed in one corner and very small bunks built into the opposite wall. The two of us bumped into each other continuously, so I don't know how a family would have managed. Our ensuite was 3 feet by 7 feet which is rather what I expected. What I did not expect was towels that were so threadbare that they started to rip when used. They of course, were also very clean. Cleanliness was never and issue unless you were trying to shower. There was barely a trickle of water and I worked that sop and worked that soap but could never come up with a lather. The bed was the hardest bed I have ever slept in with threadbare sheets and blankets and a pillow that was about an inch thick. All very clean. Our room was right at the top of a stairway and when the front door was open and closed our door rattled and then the window rattled so bad we thought it might fall out. This happened all through our stay. As we were by the stairs, we also heard every person who trudged up and down the stairs as our room shared a wall with the stairwell.
As there is 60 rooms in this hotel and only 5-6 tables in the dining room, we decided to have a later breakfast in order to miss the rush. We arrived about 1/2 hour before the end of breakfast time and the same woman who had greeted us so warmly the day before, barely has a word for us. We are not asked anything or really acknowledged but in about 10 minutes we were served a small plate with one egg, one rasher of bacon, one sausage and about a teaspoon on beans. We are checked on from the kitchen during the whole meal and then before we had even finished, our plates were cleared and we were made to feel like we needed to leave. As there was nobody waiting and 2 empty tables, we were quite bewildered. As I shop in the UK quite often I would say that the breakfast cost was around £1.50 for each of us which I thought was very cheap considering that we paid £115 for the night.
I thought long and hard about leaving this review as I hate to leave less than positive reviews but I wanted to share my experience with this hotel.
In comparison, we stayed in Edinburgh for the next 2 nights. Edinburgh is not an inexpensive city either but we stayed in a lovely little hotel just a few blocks off of Princes Street. We had a large, beautiful room with wonderful large comfortable bed and huge ensuite with luxury toiletries and a huge, fluffy towels. We had an amazing and leisurely breakfast with fruit, cereal, breads and anything cooked that we wanted. We only paid £60 a night here. Almost have of what we paid at Macdonald Hotel and received so much more!

Room Tip: If you decide to stay her, make sure you choose a room that is not next to a stairwell or at the top...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ScottishDreamTours
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swansea Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Kings cross, St pancreas down the street and across the road, how convenient. Room was adequate, what else do you want other than a comfy bed, clean sheets and towels. Clean toilet and shower, well that's what we got!!!! Adequate breakfast - orange juice, cornflakes, english breakfast, tea and toast - what else would one want to start their day!!!!! The lady and gent on the front desk were friendly and helpful, however the ladies serving breakfast were very efficient, but don't think they could understand english very well, so minimal communication. Had to queue for breakfast on Sunday morning, no problem tho. Would defo stay at Macdonald again and recommend to others

Room Tip: Our room view was the square room 205
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I needed a single bed in north London for a night. This was cheap and I decided to book as I would only be using the room for about 9 hours. The bed was comfortable enough, the room was warm, and the en-suite was Ok. However, balancing the temperature in the shower was a bit a challenge - hot then tepid than back to scalding - so a quick shower before it changed again. Breakfast was very busy and there was a queue to get a table, but I had a reasonable, cooked meal on a quality formica table. Mixed opinion - some good things, some Ok. It was clean, extremely well located and the staff are very friendly and there is a good speed free internet service. In sum, I would stay again as it was such excellent value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Banbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Excellent B&B Hotel. I stay here quite regularily, whilst visiting London. I know all the friendly staff by name and vice versa, so feels good not to be a number. Spotlessly clean and excellent, eat as much as you want, breakfast, with great choice. Kings Cross is an excellent hub for transport, both local, national and international. Excellent prices too, for central London. Located in a quiet square, with a small park, you don't get the noise of the busy Euston Road, just down the way. Can not recommend highly enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Macdonald is an excellent bed & breakfast hotel. I stay at this friendly hotel whenever I visit London and have always found the staff to be very walm and welcoming. Their customer care and service is excellent, their rooms are comfortable and their breakfast is very good. It is conveniently located near Kings Cross. I certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business