All reviews student accommodation tate modern globe theatre south bank basement bar millennium bridge borough market shared bathroom southwark tube basic accommodation single room st pauls clean towels excellent location full english beans central location
Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for work at the end of July, being a student myself I've seen my fair share of halls up and down the country and realise that you get what you pay for however these were frankly cold and unwelcoming and I didn't feel overly safe on my one nights stay. The ensuite was dingy to say the least (toilet had a random pipe sticking out of it?!) and I was glad I was literally just laying my head overnight before returning back home to my student halls that being said it is in a fantastic location and a perfect base to explore the city if you are travelling on a tight budget. The Shard, Tate, Globe Theatre and St. Paul's are all within 10-15 minutes stroll away and there are plenty of restaurants on the doorstep. There is also a lovely little "typical" pub called the White Hart nearby which gives real Eastenders vibes! I'm also told that the bar on the ground floor and restaurant within Bankside were very good.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kelly W
LSEVacationsTeam, Marketing Officer at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Hi Kezza,

We are glad you liked our location and facilities. We are sorry to hear your room did not match your expectations on this occasion - particularly regarding heat in the rooms. We will look into this matter at Bankside.

Regardless, we hope you return to London and one of our halls again in the future.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

University dorm building located just south and adjacent to Modern Tate Museum, right next to walking path along Thames. Rooms were mostly quiet and spacious enough for short term stays, Ensuite bathroom was small but functional. No air conditioning but windows do open. Included breakfast facility and food is probably the best in London. All of central London is within easy walking distance, including underground and train sevice.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bikerdude76
LSEVacationsTeam, Marketing Officer at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hi Bikerdude,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay at LSE Bankside House. We are delighted you enjoyed our location and breakfast service. We hope you return to London and Bankside soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed 24 September 2017

Two-week trip but only really needed a place to sleep and keep my stuff secure. The laundry room was incredibly useful as it also had ironing boards. Computer room is for student-use only but they do offer free Wi-fi. Towels are changed daily and sheets weekly. Heating wasn't working in my room but it didn't matter as the weather was perfect all throughout my stay. The kettle in my room was lovely as I used it for my coffee. They room itself was a single with a twin bed. It contained a desk, a dresser drawer, and a cabinet. The shared bathroom was outside between the two rooms and was clean and serviced daily. The front desk staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The morning breakfast was fantastic the first couple of days but since the selection is mostly the same every day it gets tiring really quickly. The bar/gameroom downstairs is really nice and does have some nice cheap drinks. Not all floors have a microwave or cooking ware however. Be sure to check out the minicards on the ground level and grab a map for some really nice discounts on cool stuff to do around the city. Its location is perfect for every traveler as it has many convenient stores and places to eat nearby and has multiple bustops within walking distance and the tube isn't too far away either. I was able to walk to most of my destinations throughout my trip (mostly touristy type things such as Big Ben, the London Eye, Tower Bridge, etc.). Overall well worth the price and would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
LSEVacationsTeam, Marketing Officer at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Hi Hernando,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay at LSE Bankside House. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us - particular our wi-fi, amenities, location and customer service.

We hope you return to London and Bankside House soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed 13 September 2017

If asked to provide one bit of advice to anyone looking for “budget range” accommodation in London it would be: “Decide what you are prepared to sacrifice”.

There are many things that I take into account when looking at the budget range hotel options in London. The first and most important factors usually Price, Location, Room Size and Condition, Cleanliness. If I’m lucky, I might also get to consider factors such as WiFi Availability & Strength, Breakfast, Helpful and Friendly Staff.

But I realise that it’s hard to be picky when price is an issue.

Nevertheless, If I was ever asked to a “practically perfect” budget range place to stay in London, it would offer all of the following:

- a large, clean, properly furnished room with an ensuite bathroom;
- at a cost of less than £50 per night;
- in good condition
- located in Central London close to the Tube and within walking distance of
most Central London sites;
- provide a proper English breakfast;
- the WiFi connection would be strong, consistent, easy to access and FREE;
- the staff would be friendly, knowledgeable and able to deal with
the kind of quirky problems and issues that tend to come up when
dealing with tourists and guests;
- they would be able to deal with changes in plans and be flexible and cooperative.
- it would offer access to laundry facilities;
- It would have somewhere to get a snack and drink at night;
- There would be a room full of unicorns to play with.

But when trying to find a place to stay, I would know that I would have to decide which items on the list I would have to sacrifice.

I always start at the bottom, giving up the unicorns right away. But, very often I have to keep crossing items of the list until there are only 3 or 4 left. I always expected this to be necessary as my list was far too optimistic and even unrealistic.

Or at least that’s what I thought until I stayed at LSE Bankside.

LSE Bankside is one of 8 facilities operated by LSE Vacations as “B&B” style accommodation when the facilities are not needed for student accommodation. It is located on the South Bank right beside Tate Modern and therefore close to the Globe Theatre, Borough Market and St Paul’s Cathedral. It is a large residence hall style building with 200+ rooms which include en-suite single, twin, triple and quad rooms as well as single rooms with shared bathroom facilities.

Because the primary use for the rooms are student dorm rooms they are large and well set up with sturdy practical furnishings that are in good condition. The building does have a halls-of-residence feeling to it, but that’s to be expected – as that’s what it is. But, as the rooms are available on a B&B basis only during the holiday periods of the academic year, you are more likely to run into families and tour groups rather than students. And I expect that the students are quieter as a group than some of the summer guests prove to be. (It is the LSE after all!)

But if you're a bit of a snob, (or if you had a terrible college residence experience) you might not like it.

And if you must have a TV in your room - you won't find one. But as I rarely what TV while staying in a hotel, this was not something I considered.

The breakfast that is provided is excellent. The food is well cooked, generously provided and includes proper coffee and proper croissants (which are a personal bug bear of mine!).

The staff are particularly noteworthy as they are enthusiastic, helpful and clearly keen to do whatever they can to help to make your stay as comfortable and easy as possible. They appear to be recruited from current LSE students, which appears to make them proud ambassadors for the school in general.

When I made my booking at LSE Bankside, I was not certain about the length of my stay so initially made only a one-night booking. However, when the reason for my visit to the area kept being extended, I had to extend my stay on a day by day basis and I ended up staying for a total of 7 nights in the end. While I imagine this would have presented a bit of a challenge for the staff to accommodate my changing plans, their response was consistently helpful and cooperative. And much appreciated.

One of the tests I use when thinking about somewhere I have stayed is would I come back and stay again – and if so, what would I ask them to change or do better for my second visit. With LSE Bankside I had difficulty thinking of anything that they need to work on, or improve.

But finally, I did come up with one suggestion.

They could make the room full of unicorns easier to find. I looked every day for 7 days and never found it.

Room Tip: North facing and upper floor rooms have the best view
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank JRBrookes
LSEVacationsTeam, Marketing Officer at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2017

Hi JRBrookes,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed and wonderful feedback about your recent stay at LSE Bankside.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope you return to London and Bankside House again soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

I stayed in the LSE High Holborn halls some time ago, so I thought I knew what to expect, but this place exceeded my expectations on several counts. Huge room, free internet; mega-powerful shower with piping hot water; no nuisance neighbour noise; superb breakfast - including the sausages; friendly reception and an on-site bar in the basement. If you're not expecting frills and all you need is a decent night's kip with a decent shower then this is a decent alternative to the competition.
Plenty of places to eat nearby and very handy for the Tate Modern.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
LSEVacationsTeam, Marketing Officer at LSE Bankside House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Hi ILP-JP,

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback about recent stay at LSE Bankside House. We are delighted you enjoyed our location, breakfast, customer service and
amenities. We hope you return to London and Bankside House again soon.