“Good location for the Southbank but a very basic room”
Review of LSE Bankside House

LSE Bankside House
Ranked #489 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We stayed for one night in one of the top floor rooms at Bankside. These rooms are let out all year so have slightly better facilities than the student rooms that are available outside term time. But, this is still a student residence and the room felt like it. We had a double room with a small double bed, basic bedroom furniture including a desk and chair but nowhere else to sit except on the bed. The shower room was very basic with nowhere to hang towels and only a very small shelf above the sink. The shower itself looked rather old but surprisingly worked very well. The bed linen was very poor quality and worn but the towels were fluffy and felt much newer. The room had a small TV, kettle and basic tea and coffee and packets of soap and shampoo were provided but there is no hairdryer. The windows opened for ventilation but the room was far too hot overnight. The room rate is room only and reflects that this is a budget option, but it does not feel like good value as the room is so basic with very flimsy lamps and curtains. Breakfast is available in the student canteen on the ground floor where you can buy a cooked meal at a reasonable price. The food is only OK and the canteen has a rather overpowering smell of fried oil that is unpleasant.

This is a good location if you want to be near to the Southbank and Waterloo but do not expect the kind of service that you wouldhave in a chain budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Retmanc

Reviewed 4 June 2012

agree with other reviews that the rooms could have been slightly better, was small and had a distinct lack of mirror, however for the money and the location it was excellent, the included breakfast was also very good and generous and the fact the staff were very knowledgeable and helpful just served to make it better, will certainly be returning

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank stephgg
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Great price (during times when the students are out!). If you get a room high up, towards the Thames, it's a fab view!

Room Tip: I asked for a quad room and it was high up. Had my family with me.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Pate-in-Surrey
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have slept in dormitories before in Canadian universities and I would rank Bankside as average in comparison. The room was spartan and rather tired looking, but clean enough. However, it did seem as though two single beds had been crammed into what was likely a single student's dorm room during LSE classes. I was especially disappointed that the wifi did not work during our entire stay. This proved particularly inconvenient since we needed to access the Web to book bus tickets for a trip to Oxford and to check in for my flight from London. I had to resort to "borrowing" wifi to make my travel arrangements perched on a concrete bench beside a cafe next to Bankside. The customer service was also spotty. Some front office staffers were very helpful and friendly. One young man graciously printed our bus tickets and my boarding pass for my flight. But others were rather curt and aloof. I could understand the attitude, however, since Bankside was booked to maximum capacity capacity during our stay. One man insisted I take a 50-pound cab to the airport when I managed to get there via the tube for a fraction of the cost and arrived in plenty of time for my flight. Breakfast, which included a choice of a limited number of items at the cafeteria on the ground floor, was included. The breakfast was a good value with plenty of healthy and vegetarian options. But I was disappointed to learn that the cafeteria staff flatly refused to honour the breakfast voucher I left for my travelling (and pregnant) companion to use because I was not able to use it as I had to leave prior to breakfast to catch my flight. The best thing about Bankside is its location, near Tate Museum and other popular tourist spots. We also had no trouble getting around the city using public transit—the subway and bus though the tube is about a 10-minute walk away. All that said, for budget accommodation in a very expensive city, I suppose it is what it is and perhaps it is unreasonable to expect much more than what Bankside House has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank akjCanada
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed at Bankside house for over three weeks this past summer while at a summer school for the Globe Theater. I am in my 40's too, let me put that right up front.

Bankside is a dormitory for the London School of Economics...and it is great for what it is...it's not a four star hotel, it's not a resort, it's a economical place to stay in a great location. I had a single dorm room, so I had privacy...I shared a bathroom with one other room, but it was never a problem - I only saw my suitemate once. The food provided for breakfast is fantastic - great English breakfast and good portions. Big selection!

My room was basically clean...as a dorm room would be. The mattresses were dorm mattresses...a bit lumpy, a bit small, but still, I was able to sleep OK on them - I would advise bringing your own pillow and blanket if you can - their's is a bit paltry, but then again - think dormroom!! The other furniture in the room was comfortable - a desk, nightstand, small chest and a wardrobe. There are no TVs in the rooms, but there are TVs in the cafeteria and in the bar in the basement. The bathroom was kept clean, although it is small. One must rememember they're in Europe...not the USA...for a Eurpoean bathroom, this was was fairly roomy - a toilet, a sink and mirror with mirror light and a shower about the side of a phone booth - but again, I say - think dorm room!

The noise level is a problem on lower floors if you're older like me and want it quiet during sleeping time...but since I was on the 7th floor, it wasn't an issue for me at all. Fellow teachers did complain of this though as they were on the first floor. To be fair, the staff does try to keep the noise level down, but when you host hordes of visiting teenagers as the Bankside House does every summer, then it's going to be impossible to keep it quiet all the time.

Great location - on the South Bank near the Globe and the Tate Modern...there's a Starbucks, Leons, and several other restaurants right beside it. Comfortable walking distance to pharmacies, groceries, the tube, the river, London Bridge, the Borrough Market, and so much more! It's a safe and clean area, not incredibly busy and not very "touristy" - yet...I have a feeling it will become much more so in the future as Bankside is building up.

Most of the staff were very nice...a couple of the men were somewhat rude, but considering the sheer number of people they dealth with every day, I can cut them some slack there...on that note, it is nice that the inner doors to Bankside remain locked unless a human being lets someone in...so it makes it all the more safe in that regard.

My biggest complaint was lack of Wi-Fi...they claimed to have it - touted that they had it - but of the three weeks I was there, I only had wi-fi twice...the rest of the time I either had to go outside and down the block and sit outside Leons or go to Starbucks (which is only open from 9-5). This was very frustrating for me - being a professional, being my age, being there for so long...if they had said up-front, "no wifi" or "very spotty wifi" then I wouldn't mention it, but since they said "free wifi" and advertised it so well...it bothers me that they didn't deliver.

The key here is to remember two things - #1 - this is a dorm for college students, being used in the summer as a hostel. It's not a hotel or motel...it's not a resort. #2 - this is Europe, not the US - so things are going to be different - noise levels, size of rooms/bathrooms, food, etc. IF you have that soundly in mind, then the Bankside house is great for what it is...if you want a reasonably priced place to stay that is decent and safe, this is your spot! If you want hotel-like amenities, then don't stay here...you'll be disappointed...

Room Tip: If you are older and want quiet - insist on a room on a HIGH floor. Make sure you specify a singl...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business