“Awesomeness” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #359 of 1,089 Hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Awesomeness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stay in London a lot and I've been looking for a hotel like this for years and years and I'm so glad I can now call off the search. All those hours spent online looking for a cheap, nice, modern, clean, safe, basic hotel near a tube station. It's perfect. Even when adding on loads of extras, it still comes out cheaper than any other hotel by a long shot. I would say that if there are two of you sharing a room, you need to be really comfortable with each other! The bathroom door is frosted glass so if you're in the shower or on the toilet you can be seen (and heard)! The position of the mirror in the bedroom doesn't help!

Room Tip: I've only ever stayed on the first floor and you can hear rumbles of the tube so the higher you...
1 Thank Drew213
TuneLivSt, General Manager at Point A Hotel, London Liverpool Street, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your thorough review of the hotel. At Tune we believe that you should only pay for what you use, which allows all of our guests to design their own stay and receive very competitive rates. It is great to hear such positive feedback about the concept and the facilities that we offer.
We appreciate your recommendations to other guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Richard Clarke – General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I had a room with no windows , now that doesn't mean when all the lights are out you can't see anything. There are enough LED's in the room so you can get up the use the toilet. I stayed there for six days, arrive at the hotel after a night at the pubs around 2 am and then up a 8 to go for sight seeing. It would have been a waste of money to purchase a high end motel. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were clean the shower was excellant. I did buy a package deal for 7 pounds which gave me a towel soap,shampoo, 24 hours of tv use and 24 wifi. I had friend staying at a 4 star hotel , they wish they had stayed a the Tune, they could have purchased 5 rooms for what they paid at there hotel. The rooms are small but for one person it is excellant ,for two it is uncomfortable put for the price and the amount of time you stay in your room its perfect. i would recommend this hotel and would use it again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Paul-ham
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are very pleased to receive feedback from guests around the world and we hope our name will become more widely known in time. I am pleased that you had a pleasant and comfortable stay. We pride ourselves in maintaining high standards of cleanliness and always aim to exceed our guests’ expectations regarding our customer service.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

we stayed in tune hotel for 3 nights over Easter. was really good value for money - but you have to get your head round the charging system - i.e. towels, TV, toiletries, hairdryer etc are all charged for - and you have to make decisions on unlimited or daily use up front which was not so clear in the booking process for the novice. However once there the room was clean and very comfortable - but very small - so would recommend the room with a window - otherwise might feel a bit claustrophobic. all in all a great deal.

1 Thank 22Shona
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your review.
Tune’s “Limited Service” concept means that we offer the basics for a good night’s sleep at an affordable price, and the guest designs their stay to meet their requirements. This allows savvy travellers to cut accommodation costs and spend more on enjoying themselves from our prime location in London. I am happy you had a great stay and thought it was excellent value for the money, and we hope you will come and have another enjoyable stay with us soon.
LukewarmCatastrophe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Firstly, you won't find this hotel on Google Street View due to its relative "new-ness" (the old images on Google list the building as a business called "First City" but the hotel is very easy to find as there is still a Dental Studio on the corner of where Folgate Street meets Norton Folgate/Shoreditch High Street.

My partner and I required a 4 night stay in London due to a series of gigs we were attending. Our only real requirements were a decent shower, a safe and secure place to store our luggage and somewhere with good public transport access. Finding all of these things at a budget price in London is a lot harder than it seems and you only have to read through some of the reviews on Tripadvisor to realise that there are a lot of dumps out there that manage to get away with charging extortionate prices.

I'm pleased to report that the Tune Hotel, Liverpool Street branch is not one of them!

The total cost of the stay (Wednesday to Sunday in mid-April) worked out as just shy of £60 per night, inclusive of all taxes/fees etc. I have paid a lot less for rooms in London in the past, usually when I've stayed in Travelodges during their sales. Travelodge didn't work out the cheapest option on this occasion which is why I shopped around and I was pleased with my find and felt it was good value for money.

The Tune Hotels are comparitive in what they offer to the Easyhotel chain, as other reviewers have mentioned, in that you get the bare basics and have to pay extra if you want more. Doing full research into the concept of the hotel before you book is advised as the last thing you want to do is turn up expecting television/towels/tea and coffee making facilities and then realising you have to pay extra for them!

Good points;

Rooms are fresh, bright and modern with large mirrors (we opted for the "windowless" room on the lower ground floor and found it far more uplifting than some of the more bland and tired looking Travelodge decor we've experienced in the past).

Good quality, clean, comfortable double bed.

Bedside table, a few small storage shelves and coathangers, which came in handy.

Powerful, modern, self-contained shower cubicle with folding/sliding glass door, basin and toilet - all very clean and more room than in an Easyhotel.

Superb location. 10-15 minute walk from Old Street Tube station which puts you just a few short stops on the Northern Line from Euston/Kings Cross and Shoreditch Rail Station/Liverpool Street Tube are even closer, along with several bus stops. Brick Lane and Shoreditch High Street are literally around the corner for the vintage fashion/curry/nightlife/art lovers

The reception staff are genuinely friendly and do greet you the minute you enter/leave the room. Housekeeping were also friendly as we walked past them on a morning and knock politely on the door to check it's convenient to enter.

Very reasonably priced tea/coffee/soft drinks/water/snacks available at reception and local Tesco is only a short walk away to stock up on supplies.

Negotiable/"not really bad" points;

The air conditioning was inconsistent as others have mentioned. It was very welcome having fresh, cool air in the room but even turning it "off" seemed to keep the unit whirring ever so slightly and sometimes it was "too" cold or "too" hot in the room. Admittedly, it never remained that way and it was easily rectified by simply amending the settings again.

The extractor fan in the bathroom didn't really serve it's purpose and the large mirror and counter area in the bathroom was often soaked with water/steam and as only one small towel is provided by the hotel to wipe everything down, it wasn't the perfect scenario, but this may be testament to how long we spent in the lovely shower and not really the hotel's fault as the situation seemed to improve as the days wore on and we learned how to control it better.

The towel hook in the bathroom fell off the wall the minute we touched it. Purely faulty design I think and it just needed screwing in again but we couldn't do it for the life of us - I'm sure reception would have sorted it if we'd brought it up but it wasn't that big a deal!

The bathroom area is only sectioned off from the main hotel room by a thin glass door so if you're not intimate with the person you're sharing the room with or if you're a shy toilet user, it may be worth bearing in mind!

Noise (probably due to thin walls) is a minor issue (I heard someone sneeze in another room ;) ) and yes, you can hear the tube, but it NEVER disturbed our sleep, in fact, you forget about it and almost find it therapeutic as it sinks into the background.

Housekeeping only visit once every 3/4 days unless you pay extra. Again, it's not a big deal as we brought our own towels but something to bear in mind if you're planning on being messy/fill the bin.

I would 100% stay here again in a heartbeat and felt genuinely sad to leave our little old room! I think this chain of hotels may genuinely offer some serious competition to the likes of Travelodge/Premier Inn/Easyhotel in the future if they continue to grow and expand!

Well done to all staff who made our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: The windowless rooms are absolutely fine and cheaper, so pick them!
2 Thank LukewarmCatastrophe
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your complementary review of Tune Liverpool Street.
From your review it seems that you are exactly the savvy traveller that Tune Hotels are aimed at - those who want to spend most of their time in the city but still desire good customer service and a clean and comfortable room to go back to.
I have congratulated my staff based on your feedback, and it is very encouraging to read that you found us to provide a convenient service and that we exceeded your expectations in terms of cleanliness. Those few technical issues that you incurred have been now addressed by our maintenance team.
Thank you also for recommending us and I hope you will come and have another enjoyable stay with us in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

During my recent trip to London, I stayed in both EasyHotel Victoria and Tune Hotel Liverpool. By FAR, Tune Hotels came out on top.

I stayed 5 nights in a windowless room in the basement.

The good:

-The room was clean and well-lit, which was important to me as it had no windows. The bathroom was sparkling clean, and even though both the bedroom and the bathroom were small, I was glad there were still little side tables, and a counter in the sink, which is more than can be said for EasyHotel.

-The furnishings were modern and bright. The glass side tables, funky wallpaper, and mirror were so much better than the orange box that is EasyHotel.

-The customer service was impeccable. They greeted us every time we exited or entered the hotel. At one point when I wanted to make a local call, I expected to be pointed in the direction of a pay phone or some sort of paid service, but the front desk attendant lent me a cell phone on which I could freely place my call.

-The location of the hotel is great - just 5 minutes from Liverpool street station, and right next door to the Water Poet, a pub. Within 15 min walk there are many restaurants, bars, cafes, and clubs, so it was easy for us to find something to do at all hours of the day.

-Individual room temperature control was appreciated, though it was a little difficult to keep consistent. (I would go to bed freezing and wake up sweating at EasyHotel)

-The "extras" you can add are fairly priced. We made use of the unlimited wi-fi for 10 GBP (It's 10 GBP for 24 hours at Easy Hotel).

-Our morning routine included purchasing a coffee from the front desk (1.40 GBP) and enjoying it in/by the garden space. It was nice to have a place to relax, especially when visiting a busy city like London.

The not so good:

- Because of emergency lighting regulations in the UK, the main light in our room had a little green light that was on al the time, meaning the room was never 100% dark at night. Not anything that the hotel could really do about that, but it did get a tad annoying.

- Yes, the rooms are small. There's not a lot of room for luggage, but there was a good 2 feet on other side of the bed, plus some hallway space, which was much better than EasyHotel (where the walls were flush against the bed).

---
Would definitely recommend Tune Hotel Liverpool St and would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great for budget travellers who want a little more space than in a hostel.

Room Tip: I thought I would be okay in a room without a window, but for a longer stay, I would definitely reco...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Jess W
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your informative review about the hotel.
Cleanliness is a key focus for us and we will continuously strive to maintain high standards and exceed our guests’ expectations. I am also very much encouraged by the positive feedback regarding our Front Desk team who work very hard to make each guests’ stay enjoyable.
We appreciate your recommendations which I’m sure will be useful to other guests and we look forward to your next visit to our hotel.