“A delightful find”

Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We stumbled on this restaurant quite by chance, but what a find. Good French cooking a great prices. I started with a warm salad of chickens liver and it was delicious. The coq au vin was simply French cooking at it best. A big shout out to our waiter Baki who was wonderful in everyway. Cant wait to go back!

1  Thank Avril B

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Lovely little authentic restaurant. Staff were attentive, very friendly and very helpful. Fantastic service ,superb food and reasonably priced too! Would highly recommend and can't wait to go back. Would recommend the freshly cooked, to order in the restaurant, crepes

1  Thank JayneB B
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Ok , this is not a “ fine cuisine “
restaurant but it doesn’t pretend to be . What you do have here is a very welcoming French bistro style country restaurant .
We came for the first time before a football match and we were happy from the first minute . The staff were all really polite and friendly . The food was delicious , and I was delighted to see that crepe with creme de marron was on the menu .
Sadly , one of the waiters came to tell me that the creme de maron was no more ...and then the chef also came to apologise ....and I was offered an alternative dessert on the
house , which I thought was a very nice touch !
Definitely a restaurant in Upper Street worth returning to . ( we are )
Nice wine list too !
I did read a couple of reviews about rude staff but please do not let that put you off , it’s not true , all of them were lovely !

1  Thank Jilly60
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Came here with friends recently after I hadn't visited for several years and was pleased to find it's still a very pleasant place. It is a rustic looking French bistro on Upper Street, equidistant from Angel and Highbury & Islington.
Menu is French/European with a good choice of crepes. We opted for the 3 course lunch menu, a bargain at £13 something (a pound less during the week). I started with a vegetable stack with haloumi, which was nice though a tad under-seasoned. My friends had stuffed mushrooms, which looked delicious.
I had a grilled salmon salad for my main, which came with the vegetable stack vegetables again so I inadvertently had a bit of repetition in my meal. I liked the taste though. My husband's vegetable gratin was quite watery but our friends' food looked good.
We all had banoffee pie for dessert (which was a special), which was tasty though not the best ever.
Service was friendly and we didn't feel rushed at all.
12.5% service charge added to bill.
Overall, a cozy spot for a leisurely Sunday lunch (they do roasts too) and very good value.

1  Thank smilgaki
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful restaurant, service always second to none and the food is absolutely delicious. Need to seriously think about a loyalty card as we keep going back.

3  Thank Nick S