“Great - not jawdropping” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel London St James

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #30 of 1,080 Hotels in London
ALL OVER THE WORLD
“Great - not jawdropping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I'll confess, I got a great deal on Hotwire. I used Hotwire and was able to work out the location of the hotel from the description.

I am British by birth, living in the US and this was my partner's first visit to the UK, so I wanted a nice hotel.

The reviews I read of this hotel were astounding... stating that it is the best hotel they had ever stayed in etc.

What I will say, on a positive... the service was awesome, friendly, without being intrusive. being personally escorted to the room was a lovely touch. Staff were generally on hand whenever you needed them and service was always with a smile.

Also, you cannot beat the location of this hotel. 30 seconds and you are on the Mall with a view of Buckingham Palace, cross the street to St James Park and a short stroll to Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, Palace of Westminster and everything else you would ever want in London.

The bed... as always with Sofitel,. the bed was AWESOME.

Wifi was free and of a decent speed.

I contacted the hotel, as we were flying in from Florida and our flight landed at 8am, we were able to check in upon arrival at 10am. A nice touch after a long night flight.

Now... not that these points are negatives, they are just what stopped it from being a WOW experience for me.

The room was small. I know rooms in London are small. But this is a high end property and I had expected something more. I had stayed in cheaper, lesser grade properties with more space. (And we were supposedly upgraded to a superior room.)

The room we were given had a view of...... nothing. We were overlooking a courtyard that served the adjacent office building. Disappointing.

We are night owls and - rightly so - the hotel locks it's reception doors late at night. One night we did have to wait ten minutes for the night porter to let us in - which - in one of the coldest Aprils ever - was not a pleasant experience.

I was a little disappointed with those aspects... would I stay here again... maybe... if I could get a deal. If I had paid the rack rate for that room, i would have been very disappointed. Even at Hotwire rates, it was still one of the most expensive hotel rooms I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank oceanmatt
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share the recent experience you have had at Sofitel London St James.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location as well as the comfort of MyBed especially designed by Sofitel. .
I am pleased that you also appreciated the complimentary Wifi and the friendliness of the team.
I am sorry to hear about the time it took for the porter to open the door on one of the nights, and if it negatively affected your stay.
I will certainly review this with the team.
Regarding your room allocation, due to our central location some of our rooms do not guarantee a view, however, when you next book, let us know and we will do our upmost to allocate a room of your choice.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel London St James.

Best Regards,

Denis Dupart
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nueva York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Very nice hotel, it is located in a great place very near Piccadilly Circus, which is near many shops, near the Mall and St James park. The whole area is very nice. The staff is incredibly helpful and courteous. The rooms are a bit small but nice, everything works the bathroom actually has a good size with separate shower and bath tub. The bathroom amenities are OK. It has a few places to have tea or a drink. The lobby is not huge but has a good size. Also big plus which I have appreciated more and more is the fact that they have free wifi. An jolly good place to stay!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank JRGNY
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Indeed Sofitel London St James is ideally located in the heart of London.
I am very pleased that you found the staff incredibly helpful and that the use of the complimentary wifi was a big plus for you.
I hope to welcome you soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel is located near Picadilly Circus and comercial area. The staff was very nice and help us in everything we needed. The room was confortable and well done. We'll surely be back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank makocwk
I am glad to hear that you felt the staff was very nice and helpful and that the room was to your satisfaction.
We very much hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back.
Kind regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

Great location, friendly staff and wonderfully set out rooms. The Sofitel St James is the first hotel I've stayed in when in London that offers the high standard expected when paying London hotel rates!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard B
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Sofitel London St James and the price matched your expectation
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back for a second visit very soon.
Best regards,

South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

We were first time visitors to the Sofitel, St James and pleasantly surprised with the excellent location and great service the hotel provided. Staff were friendly, though some had difficulty understanding what we said (especially in the bar and restaurant) since so many of them are from Italy and France.
The restaurant's breakfast, cuppacino and service is excellent - has a great wine list as well. The bar is open for after show drinks and food and has a nice buzz.
We joined the Sofitel Club for additional benefits since we will back again in June...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CoolRamblings
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the friendliness of the staff as well as our central London location.
I am glad that you also enjoyed the St James Bar and The Balcon restaurant service and that you appreciated the wide selection of wine and drinks offered.
I would like to thank you very much for joining Le Club Accorhotels wordwide loyalty program and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel London St James.

Best regards,