“An Average Holiday Inn in a Good Location”

Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park
Ranked #363 of 1,089 Hotels in London
England
“An Average Holiday Inn in a Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I stayed for one night in a business trip. It's a conveniently located hotel. Check-in was efficient. My only gripe was that as I was being checked into a twin room as the hotel was "fully booked" another guest was being offered a choice of rooms and an upgrade. This didn't seem very equitable to me.

The room was small and the two separate beds made moving around the room awkward. However, it was adequate.

The shower was particularly weedy, particularly noticeable when trying to get the temperature up meant bringing the flow rate down to a near trickle! The provision of complementary toiletries was minimal: shower gel, shampoo and soap.

The room on the 5th floor was quiet with good black-out curtains.

Overall a pleasant room, very clean and fresh, with a good sized TV, desk, chair, yea & coffee making facilities and a mini-bar. The bed was comfortable.

The minibar fridge made a racket. Top tip: the blue button to the top right hand corner switches the fan off! The air conditioning was noisy also.

Breakfast was reasonable; the pancake machine is worth using for the novelty value alone! On the hot buffet items: the bacon was good, sautéed mushrooms excellent, the Cumberland sausage acceptable and the scrambled egg horrid! (paste-like texture, an odd taste, but not very egg-like). Hot drink service at the table was non-existent. I eventually button-holed a waiter and made him take my order.

Disappointingly Holiday Inn are into WiFi gouging: £5/hr or £16/24 hours. In this day and age charging for WiFi seems desperate. Unfortunately my Boingo account didn't work here - unlike at some other hotels in the same chain.

Check out was pleasant and efficient. It wouldn't take much for this to be an excellent hotel: a bit of upgrading and more customer care would do the trick.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear apgaylard,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you mentioned the cleanliness of our rooms, our Housekeeping Team works very hard to make sure of it. With regards to the temperature control of the shower; I have already spoken to our Chief Engineer to address this with the rest of the team.

I am also happy to see that you enjoyed the breakfast and I wanted to assure that your comment regarding the scrambled eggs has been passed onto the staff members involved.

With regards to the internet price, there has been a significant investment into the speed of the Wi-Fi network which has increased the service to our guests.

Thank you very much for your valuable comments and I do hope to see you soon.

Simon Hall
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Stayed here for two nights over the jubilee weekend with a friend. Booked online and could only get a double room, they offered us a twin on arrival without any fuss which was great. Room was nice and very clean. Hotel is in a fantastic location with a tube station about 3 minutes walk at the end of the street, staff were helpful to direct us there. Very Thankful that we could leave our bags after checking out on the last day. Breakfast was delisious! Only downsides: waiter in the restaurant didn't have a clue what he was doing, only dined here on the first night as it was included in the price. Also they take £50 from your account on arrival incase you add any extras eg snacks from mini fridge, not ideal for two 18 year olds. All in all, a fantastic first trip to London, helpful staff (except the waiter), clean rooms and brilliant location.

Dear RALamb,

Thank you for your feedback.

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused during dinner. I have already shared your situation with all the Restaurant staff to ensure everyone is informed regarding dinner packages.

I am also glad that you enjoy your stay with us and your thoughts about the Reception and Concierge staff, I am sure they will appreciate comments like yours.

I look forward to see you again in the future.

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I'm a bit cynical when it comes to hotels in London because in my experience they are over priced and lacking in service but then perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place to find a reasonable hotel.
The Holiday Inn Regents Park was as the rating says "average."
Upon check-in the staff were helpful and friendly, and my room was clean. It was however small, fine for a one night business trip but a bit small for any longer than that, and the bathroom was definitely too small having to manourvre round the door just to get in to the toilet and shut the door again was not pleasant.

The night I stayed the weather was particularly bad so I opted to order room service rather than venture back out into the pouring rain again.
I ordered Lasagne, a bottle of 7up and a scone for dessert, cost £19 including service charge. When it arrived an hour later the Lasagne was burnt on the top and the scone was tiny, it did however come with a small bowl of chips and a side salad, chips were fine, salad was drenched in salad dressing.
I was very disappointed and I only hope that the same Chef doesn't cook in their main restaurant.

Thankfully, the bed was fairly comfortable and I had a good nights sleep and was pleasantly surprised by breakfast the next morning, where there was plenty of choice and it all looked fresh. My only critisism, to agree with an earlier reviewer is that the tables were situated too close together, but other than that the breakfast was good and staff attentive.

One final point to say is that the location is excellent, whilst my business trip didn't allow me time for any exploring this hotel is in a great location.

In summary:
Great location
Lovely breakfast
Rooms on the small side
Don't bother with room service, there's plenty of places nearby to eat.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Holcc
Dear Holcc,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to read your thoughts regarding our friendly staff from Front Office and Restaurant.

On the other hand, I must apologise about your room service. I have personally spoken to our Executive Head Chef about the lasagne and have reviewed our quality assurance to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

If you would like discuss this further with me, I would be very interested.

I do hope to see you again around the hotel in the future.

Simon.hall@ihg.com
Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

My wife and I had a 2 night stay here on 22nd and 23rd June, as we were going to the Prince of Wales Theatre to watch Mamma Mia, as I am a wheelchair user we had room 401 on the 4th floor, it was very big with a double bed and plenty of space each side of it, the bathroom was so big you could have got 3or4 wheelchairs in there all at once and still plenty of space left over, although this space not used very well as there was only a low bath up one corner with a shower over the bath, there is plenty of space to have a wheel-in area and a shower over that but not so.
We were dissappointed with the mattress on the bed it was very soft and sloped into the centre, making it quite uncomfortable, we did mention this to a staff member and she assured me that this would be investigated, the staff were very pleasant and helpful and overall it was a very pleasant stay, we would return here if the accession arises.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaydeeNorwich
, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear jaydeeNorwich,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I hope that you enjoyed the show as much as I did.
Our accessible rooms are very spacious and I am glad that manoeuvring within the room was with ease. I have read our Duty Manager log and see that your comment was discussed in our managers meeting and passed on to our housekeeping department who will definitely follow up.

Thank you very much once again for your comment and I do hope to see you around the hotel soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

2nd stay here in a month. Very similar to last time. Check inn was great. A very nice trainee who upgraded me to an exec room. Not much difference to a standard room but you get a couple of bottles of water, a mars bar and better selection of toileteries. Room was a bit on the small side but having stayed here a few times now it was more than adequate for a one night stay. Air con unit was a big loud for my liking, low fan speed didnt really mean low noise. Ate in the bar for ease. Menu had changed and im sure the price was a bit lower, the portion was smaller to compensate for this though. Breakfast was good, im sure ive said before, its one of the better ones. Now for the worry... ive had it now at a couple of holiday inns where they havent given me a copy of the bill to check before giving a final paid copy. Maybe im reading more into this than I should but when all hotels make mistakes with phantom charges at some point I want to check my bill first. At my next HI stay I will keep an eye on this ans see if its a new company policy or just a staff error. Would recommend if you need to stay in that area without a doubt.

1 Thank Col1n
Dear Col1n,

It's always great to read reviews from our regular guests.

I'm glad that you have recognised our new restaurant menu, Best of British which has been a hit.
Regarding your check out experience, we will always repeat the itemised bill to all guests prior to charging, this is so we have confirmation and agree that the bill is correct.

I do hope to see you around the hotel again soon.