“Great place to say in London for the active tourist!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal National Hotel

Royal National Hotel
Ranked #874 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Great place to say in London for the active tourist!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Royal National Hotel is situated in Russell Square, right round the corner from the Russell Square tube station, which gives access to the main Picadilly line and all other main tub lines. I first stayed there in February 2010 with my mum and it made our trip so easy. On arrival we were allowed to leave our luggage in the hold until we wanted to check in, leaving us to roam London for as long as we pleased without leaving our luggage. As it is an international hotel and it was the half term holidays, a lot of coach trips consisting of foreign students came and went from the hotel. The only problem we had with the hotel was that we were put in the corridor full of nosiy students, which was not the fault of the hotel, just pure misfortune. When I go back this June, I will be interested to see how quiet it is compared to staying in the school holidays. However, the rooms were spotlessly clean yet basic, with a modern bathroom, two beds, a TV and all of the other facilities that make up a hotel room. The main lobby of the hotel consists of a bar, vending machines, a quiet area to sit and watch the many TVs and free WiFi, which os always a plus in my book! Breakfast consisted of a vast choice of buffet, including porridge, yoghurts, toast, breads, cooked breakfasts, cereals, fruit etc, which really set us up for our day of sightseeing. I am that confident in the hotel, the staff and the location that I have booked to go again for three nights and four days with my friend this June. Never have I been so confident to travel without parents, and as it is my friend's first stay in London, I know it will be a great introductory visit and the first of many. Thank you Royal National!.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have a lot less noise however travelling outside of the school holidays is highly...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nadia_Lorraine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

DON'T GO THERE. Imperial Hotels (President, Royal National, Tavistock, County and Bedford) have what they call a BOGO - Be Our Guest Offer - which allows you to choose a free meal from one of their restaurants if you stay for two or more nights.

If you have a BOGO voucher DO NOT choose the so-called SELF SERVICE restaurant at the Royal National. IT IS BELOW AWFUL!!! Service - if you can call it service - is non-existent, and the food is worse.

I have tried BOGO at the President - service there was fine - food sort of average, but at least edible.

Now wish that I had chosen to stay at my own hotel (Tavistock) for dinner instead. Will NEVER to go eat again (or even stay, but I had already been advised not to stay there) at the Royal National!!

The President was fine and the Tavistock also (although the breakfast staff at the Tavistock could learn a great deal from the staff at the President!)....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank saf57
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Stayed as part of a theatre break with my Mother, sisters and 4 children. Shame on Thomas Cook for considering booking a family into this hotel. The check inn took 40 minutes. The rooms were clean, (apart from the shaving foam inside the phone reciever!) but very basic and dated and extremely noisey. We hardly slept with the disco thumping downstairs, the traffic and shouting outside the window and the constent banging of doors in the corridor. Not brilliant ushering my kids through a truck load of drunk teenagers who were throwing up in the starirwell, and falling over in the foyer. I also witnessed a prostitute being picked up outside the main door and being escorted inside. The breakfast made me angry, nowhere to sit, cold toast, soggy cereal, tinned fruit, and extra value over salted sausages and bacon, I couldn't even drink the coffee. The staff do not give a monkeys. I would never stay here again and would recommend you avoid it all costs.. Unless you are 16-19 and want to party all night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank ANNETTE E
sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

me and my friend have just came back from a weekend staying in The Royal National Hotel and must say from reading preious reviews were slightly wary about the hotel, this was however totally unneccessary. We found check in simple and quick, the rooms were clean and comfortable, basic yes but nice.

we thought that the breakfast was nice, we did get down early as we had seen the queues between about 9am and 10am and so avoided these. during our first night it was slightly noisy outside the hotel until after 1am but after various alcoholice drinks the second night this was not a problem.

i would definatly stay here again for a weekend in London. if you are looking for luxary go elsewhere but for a good time, basic comfortable rooms this place is the one!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank danielle b
south ayrshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

stayed here along with my wife in April 2012 for 2 nights as part of a theatre break. Good location in central London and 10 mns walk from Kings Cross station. Very busy hotel at all times of the day and night with people from every corner of the planet. couldn't book in until 2pm so had a wait on our hands as we arrived early. Asked for a double room and got a twin which wasn't helpful as I'm 6" 6"...the room was clean but very basic and the window didn't close properly which made it noisy during the night. Have also spoken to other people I know who had the same window issues..The breakfast was good enough but dining room was very busy at all times with people wandering around looking for a clear table to sit at. Anyway the location for getting to the theatres which were superb probably makes it worthwhile...just!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple