“Tranquil Garden”

and up
London Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and Entry to Over 60 Attractions
Ranked #100 of 1,749 things to do in London
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Beautiful old Botanic Garden. We took the free tour which was fun and although the guide was a bit flaky she was trying. The Cafe serves good food but it is expensive (this is Chelsea so I guess the locals will pay) . The only thing I would say is that prev comments re locals and their day out is true. If you don't mind some impossibly plummy accents and a load of Tim Nice but Dims then it's ok. Overall the garden is a real gem.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

The hype around the cafe is unwarranted. The smallest most non cappuccino from what is supposedly in londons top 50! Really ordinary cakes :-(. Maybe because we were there at end of daybut I just hate that let's not bother for the last hour attitude.

Fabulous gardens but a smidge over priced.

2  Thank hey_jupiter
Reviewed 7 June 2010

My wife and I visited the Chelsea Physic Garden on Sunday 6th June 2010 arriving at 13.30 and looking forward to exploring these historic gardens. As we queued to pay we were a little surprised at the number of children's buggies coming through the entrance on Swan Walk. We soon found out why!

Many of the local Chelsea residents are "friends/members" of the Garden and use it as a place to socialise; eat a very leisurely Sunday lunch; and hog most of the tables on the terrace outside of the restaurant where they sit and read the Sunday papers. We were simply not aware that we would encounter so many local families essentially "having a day out" in pleasant surroundings.

Also, what was on offer at the Tangerine Dream cafe (certainly on a Sunday) is not typical tourist refreshments - sandwiches, cakes, tea and juices etcetera. I ended up having rack of lamb and borlotti bean salad at £11.50! We were a bit annoyed as we had passed a nearby Tesco Metro on our way from Sloane Street Station where we could have purchased snack food.

I am posting this review as we felt that the Chelsea Physic Garden website did not make clear what we might encounter. If we had known, we would have definitely chosen a different day and time to visit. You have been warned!

10  Thank lycopodiumboy
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Despite its 'family friendly' credentials - summer workshops for children, pond-dipping etc - the garden has an extremely un-family-friendly policy of allowing only two children under 16 per accompanying adult (in very small type on their website - I didn't realise until I turned up ). So if you have any more children, even if they are well-behaved, sensible and genuinely interested in the garden, they won't let you in if you are a solo parent. A great way of suggesting to children that gardening is not for them, and that they are really not welcome. The average age of those in the queue was about 65, and I get the feeling that's just the way the Physic Garden likes it.

6  Thank casscass456
Reviewed 27 June 2009

The Chelsea Physic Garden is a wonderful place to spend a quiet, restful couple of hours while visiting London. Located alongside the edge of the Thames in lovely Chelsea, this historic garden provides a glimpse at medicinal plants as well as unique botanicals. The walled garden is quiet, private, and small enough so as not to overwhelm. Even those less interested in plants will find the garden a pleasant place to explore or relax. In addition, the Tangerine Dream cafe provides delicious, homemade-like food and beverages, which makes for a delightful lunch or afternoon snack. I've visited the Chelsea Physic Garden on each visit to London over the past four summers, and have yet to visit on a day when it's crowded! Do treat yourself to this little gem in the midst of the big city!