“Well appointed hotel not far from central London”

London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale
Ranked #374 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

The London Marriott Maida Vale is a well appointed Hotel with modern room amenities. Located to the nearby Kilburn train station, its only 20 minutes into the main throng of central London. There's a Starbucks seconds away and a great local English pub called "The Old Bell" also a sort walk away. The Lords cricket ground is close by too.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

My husband, my now one year old son and I arrived at the Marriott just over a week ago having booked a room and travel cot a few weeks in advance, only to find that a totally unsafe sleeping environment without mattress was provided for my son.

There was no room for the travel cot in the room so we had to shove the chairs and table up against the drawer/cupboard unit making it impossible to use it as a cupboard. There was no space for our luggage either!

The man who set the cot up put up the red kite cot (the cheapest one in the Argos catalogue) and put down the bed base (which is incorrectly called a mattress - but anyone who knows anything about travel cots knows you need a proper travel mattress on top), and then folded up a thick duvet into four and put a sheet on top. I was astonished by this as it is totally unsafe and a complete SIDS/suffocation hazard. I asked for this to be removed and instead the man put the duvet underneath the bed base. He also seemed incredibly put out that I had the audacity to challenge the way he put the cot together. This after he couldn't follow the instructions on the side to put the sides up first before locking the base and spent ages trying to get the sides to lock as if in a slapstick sketch. I spent the night awake as I was unable to sleep as I was worried for my son. We went and bought our own cot and mattress the next morning.

I am deeply shocked that people in the business of providing beds for people to sleep in are totally unable to provide a safe sleeping environment for a baby. There is absolutely no excuse for this as they had plenty of notice. We would have moved to a different hotel if we hadn't paid for our three night stay entirely in advance.

Do not stay here without your own travel cot. Don't stay here at all actually. The hallways are dingy, the newly-refurbished rooms are cramped, the lifts are eccentric (you have to press up to get a lift going down and vice versa) and the bathrooms are shower rooms. No baths anywhere. Bit annoying when you're expecting a bath as that's how the room facilities are described on their website, so you can wash your baby only to be met with a large walk in shower. They need to make it clear that they do not have baths as it is blatantly misleading advertising otherwise.

Not a four star at all. Maybe 3 at a push. I really regret staying here.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Marriott_Maida, Manager at London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Playhookie,

Thank you for providing us with a detailed account of your experience with us. This is very gratefully received and provides us with the opportunity to follow up on areas that need our attention. We are so sorry that you regret staying with us.

Please be assured that our baby cots are inspected at least once a month to ensure they are fit for purpose. They all also carry the British Standards approval. It is obvious from your feedback that our member of staff was not familiar with how to erect the baby cot and how to make it up correctly and this we have addressed as a matter of urgency. It is unfortunate that you did not feel comfortable to raise this with us at the time. We have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day who would have been happy to attend and either replaced the baby cot and or moved you to a room which could more comfortable accommodate a baby cot plus meet your needs of a room with a bath tub. We do have rooms with bath tubs and again, had we been made aware of your preference it would have been our pleasure to fulfill this preference.

We are very sorry that you found the bedrooms cramped. Since our renovation last year, we have received some very positive feedback on the redesign of the rooms and their layout. We regret that you do share this opinion and are sorry this caused you some discomfort.

The lighting in our hallways is purposely dimmed to enhance the new design and décor with the artwork lit separately. We apologise that this was not to your taste and it certainly is not our intention for our corridors to be perceived as dingy.

We do hope you will reconsider staying with us again next year so that we may deliver service and facilities that are memorable for the right reasons.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us.

Best regards
The Team at the London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Room was amazing.we thought the hotel was really far away from london but it wasnt at all.the bus service is brilliant so really easy to get back into the centre.
The only complaint we had from our whole stay was when we visited the bar! The barman wasnt very friendly and my sister was not happy that ge took a service charge that was optional then she asked him to remove it he said he couldnt ! Do not buy the nuts!!!! £3.50yes £3.50!!! And they are awful!!
That ruined the start to our night and we left the bar and went out instead

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel had recently a make over. You could smell the new while walking from the elevator to the room.

Our room looked nice and inviting. The interior made us feel welcomed and almost at home.

The staff was friendly and gave us a lot of good tips.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We booked this Marriott on three ideals. Its with in a reasonable distance of the city centre. Its more affordable than the other London Marriott hotels, and it comes with Parking.
Arrival to the hotel was unusual. We parked up and went to reception as we weren't 100 percent sure how it worked. As I sat waiting on double yellows with no other available parking my partner went in to get access to the underground parking. The man at reception seemed determined to make this a very slow process making for him; to check in, sort room, sort payment, signature details etc etc etc, here I am still sat waiting on the road. After a good 15 - 20 minutes (and I'm not even exaggerating, id already mobile checked in) , my partner came back and we went to the tannoy to allow us in. I must have had to spell my name out 5 times, you know we were the guys who were JUST in reception 20 seconds ago?, you knew we were here waiting to get in? another FIVE minutes fondling along. Some strange man even came from the street to tell us to go to reception to get access and we had no idea who he was, oh London..
about half an hour passed and a lot of me panicking (we had formed a queue!!) we were given the number of a parking space.. that was already taken (I come from the north - driving in London is stressful enough) we pay £50 for what I deem trash service it was ridiculous.

MOVING ON.
The room was refurbished, high floor, lovely! No upgrade for Gold but we enjoyed the room, walking was around 25 mins to centre. The executive lounge, my my was it good, nice and quiet and a few drinks made that parking stress drift away.
We ordered room service and it was very tasty, I felt id got my moneys worth with our order.

If it wasn't for the parking this would have gained a higher score. We tried bringing it up to the man on recep but it was shrugged off.

Thanks to the nice ladies on check out and the chefs for a nice meal and stay. However due to parking I probably wouldn't come here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale C
Marriott_Maida, Manager at London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear Dale C,

We receive your review with mixed emotions; regret at the way the car park access was handled and elation that the other elements of your stay were enjoyable.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and our heartfelt apologies for adding more stress to an already stressful journey. We will, naturally, take your comments, share them with our team and ensure we provide a more seamless arrival experience for our guests especially when utilising the car park facilities.

We are truly sorry that this experience had such a detrimental effect on your stay and your consideration of staying with us again. We do hope you will reconsider as it would be our pleasure to host you again.

Best regards