This is the second time we've stayed at the Tavistock and it looks and feels better after parts have been refurbed.
For the price the hotel is good value - you can do a lot worse in London - it's basic but you don't feel ripped off.
- Reasonable Nights Sleep (ask for a room overlooking the Square for the best views)
- Location - you are 10 mins from Tottenham Court Road or Kings Cross station if you walk. That means that Oxford Street, Chinatown, all the other West End attractions are walkable, as is Regents Park/London Zoo and awful places like Camden Market are a short busride away.
- Breakfast - this is a buffet affair so eat as many sausages, eggs etc you can to stock up for the day
- Staff - don't seem to have a high turnover which means you've got some decent experience.
- Cosmopolitan atmosphere - no matter where you come from you will meet people from your own country - it's great to get to talk to people who are new to the UK.
- As with all London hotels the rooms could be bigger as could the beds
- Some people expect more from the customer service side of the hotel - remember you are in London in a "budget" hotel
- The hotel can be excessively warm at all times of the year
- Room Locations - as I said - get a view of the Square if you can, otherwise it's the standard view (and noise) of overlooking roofs with aircon systems...
- The rooms are a bit tired and could do with a makeover.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to travellers looking to stay in London on a budget - wherever you are from.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Tavistock Square Gardens the hotel offers stunning views as well as offering remarkable value for a historic Bloomsbury hotel. A great choice for business or leisure guests. You will find the Woolf & Whistle - a friendly bar nestled in the Art Deco ground floor of the Tavistock Hotel. Retaining the hotel's original 1920's features with a modern and elegant twist, Woolf & Whistle takes its inspiration from the famous 20th century writer Virginia Woolf, who once lived and worked in the neighbourhood. Providing a welcoming haven to our guests, locals and visitors to the area; our pub serves classic cocktails alongside traditional pub favourites in a relaxed yet sophisticated atmosphere. After all, a wise woman once wrote, ‘’One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.’’ The Tavistock is perfectly located for the health club and American style bowling alley as well as the exciting sites of the capital. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Tavistock Hotel London
- Tavistock London
- Hotel London Tavistock