“they can't get it right, unfortunately” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Trafalgar Hotel

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #348 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Brooklyn, New York
“they can't get it right, unfortunately”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Great location, rooms are fairly spacious and nice. Staff is friendly but the place is managed poorly. Some examples:

They serve a breakfast buffet in the lower Rockwell every morning.

Morning 1: I didn't want to sit down, so asked if I could grab a roll and a muffin and get a cup of coffee to go. The girl really had no idea what to do, so I just asked for a napkin and put a roll in that. After 10 minutes, I was able to get coffee in a to-go cup.

Morning 2: The next morning was a repeat of morning one so when I asked for coffee to go and saw that look, I just sat down and ate. Unfortunately, even though I asked for coffee before i sat down, it was only delivered after I'd finished eating. If someone had told me it would take that long to get a cup of coffee, I would have just gone to the place across the street. I wouldn't have cared either way but why does it take 15 minutes to get coffee? If you can't do it, just say so.

Morning 3: I knew better than to ask for anything to go, so I just sat down. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the hot food out even though the lady upstairs told me that the breakfast service started a half hour prior.

Before checking out, I saw a charge on my bill from the bar, which wasn't mine. At 7:00 am, I went down to ask about it. The lady pulled the records and it was clear the signature wasn't mine so she said she'd straighten it out and let me know. At 9:30 I went to check out and since I'd never heard back I asked. She said she couldn't figure it out but she'd remove it from my bill. Over two hours and you can't figure it out? And I don't care if you can't figure it out, just get it off my bill.

Also, no kiosks to print out boarding passes. I had to go behind the counter and use the computer there because I wasn't going to give the guy my password. They can't put one in the lobby? Really puzzling.

So, overall, my problems were resolved but it just seems if a hotel wants to position itself as an upscale boutique hotel, they should not create these problems for themselves. Or they should manage guest expectations and let them know if requesting a cup of coffee in a paper cup as opposed to a ceramic cup is an impossible task!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Watthree
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Noosa, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I recently spent two nights here. Location is great, easy walk to theatres. The way the property was decorated wasn't to our taste. The corridors on the guest floors are dimly lit in purple, the seating in the lower Rockwell restaurant was not good. Buffet breakfast average English style with service rather hit and miss, no one really seemed to coordinate things. Front desk staff were very helpful. Would stay here again but it wouldn't be high on my 4/5 star list.

1 Thank qld-traveller48
Somerset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at the hotel for three nights whilst running a two-day business conference there. On all levels I was very impressed.

As regards the hotel's accommodation, I had a superior room which was very generous in size and well-appointed. It enjoted an excellent view over Trafalgar Square from the 4th floor and had everything one would expect from such a hotel in terms of amenities. The only thing lacking - a shoe cloth!

As regards the conference arrangements, all our needs were met with polite professionalism and we were very well looked after.

My only criticism (as with many similar hotels) is the Wi-Fi policy. When paying over £1,000 per day for a conference room and over £200 per night for the accomodation, I would have expected that Wi-Fi could have been 'thrown in'. There is a system which allows one free hour of connection from public areas (not bedrooms) but this hardly seems ideal. I struggle to understand why hotels of this class still feel it accceptable to charge for such a commodity.

Other than this it was great and, being right in the heart of the city, it was ideal for strolling to restaurants, bars, attractions, etc too.

I must make a specific reference to the reception staff who were, without exception, incredibly helpful, polite, fun and accommodating. The same goes for the bar staff and all other members of staff we came into contac with. Clearly there is an excellent customer service training programme in place.

Room Tip: high room overlooking trafalgar square.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Brighton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This Hotel is one of Hilton's top properties. It has a fantastic location on Trafalgar square with the Mall a few steps behind. Service is top notch, great Bar and fantastic roof bar if the English Weather permits. Staff are excellent as is the service! Rooms can be a little sparse but great beds, fantastic showers and facilities to match.

However, the location comes at a cost. This Hotel is normally £250 - £400 per night and there are other cheaper options in the same area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Trafalgar Square
Westbury, New York, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had a wonderful stay of 5 nights at The Trafalgar. From the moment we checked in to checkout all of the staff was efficent and helpful. We especially want to praise the new Guest Relations Manager, Marli, who was very friendly and accommodating. Marli hosted a lovely reception for Hilton Honors members. The breakfast is excellent, and the rooms are spacious and well maintained. The location is amazing and it is easy to get to most tourist attractions and the theatre via walking, underground or by bus. We look forward to our next stay at The Trafalgar.

1 Thank dorice