“Wasn't awful but I left feeling a bit disappointed”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #292 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 October 2017

Given the generally positive TripAdvisor reviews I was a little disappointed with this hotel. I stayed in room 833 as part of the Level club (which to be frank I didn't use)..

First the pros:

The room was a good size and was immaculately clean, as was the bathroom which had a bath and (overhead) shower with decent pressure. Reasonable view out over the rooftops to the city, its very close to a tube station and there are shops within easy walking distance.

I had a very warm welcome on arrival and check in/out was painless. Room service food was decent enough and came quickly, although it was £16 for a club sandwich (+ 12.5% service charge). The expresso machine was a nice touch and included decaf pods, although the milk wasn't fresh.

The cons:

There is quite a lot of traffic noise from the street below and it is constant, well into the night. Yes, I know its London but plenty of other hotels I've stayed at have much better sound proofing. There is also noise from outside in the corridor, especially in the morning with people leaving and cleaning staff crashing about.

The air conditioning does work but is an old fashioned system with the fan control near the bed and the radial thermostat on the wall. So basically it alternates between being too cold and too warm.

A bit old fashioned pretty much sums up the rest of the room, the TV is flat screen with HDMI but is old and the decor, whilst clean is quite dated. The (LG) TV has all the AV inputs locked out but you can override this if you search on the Internet for the code and method. There are no media or film options, just Digital TV. There are lots of mains plugs but many are international standards so the UK usable ones are a little thin.

Wi-Fi strength was great but the download speed was slow, only about 3Mbps, so little ability to stream content. It struggled to maintain my Tidal music streaming app (at CD quality) without cutting out every 30 seconds or so. There is also a wired ethernet port.

The bed was large but it wasn't that comfortable, you could feel the springs through the sheet. A mattress topper would help here. The pillows were comfy.

The curtains weren't very blacked out and there was a gap at one end so the room got very light in the morning.

One thing that really annoyed me was the automated mini-bar policy. I frequently need to use the fridge when travelling (for storing food and I'm not paying £6 for a beer that cost them £1, call me a cheapskate!). When I called up to get it emptied (so I didn't get charged) I was told there was a £15 charge and they were adamant it had to be paid. So, I've just paid over £200 for my room and you're going to charge me to use the fridge. Sorry, this was a very poor response. Did I buy anything from your mini-bar? No.

In summary there are much better hotels in the nearby area, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Dear trickyb,

First of all, thank you very much for sharing your observations with us.

We are glad to read that you had a positive room experience, found our location to be very convenient and felt warmly welcomed by our staff upon arrival. We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed your in-room dining experience and liked to have an espresso machine, included in all our Level rooms.

However, we are very sorry to read that you could hear noise coming from your room and the corridor and that our A/C machine did not work properly. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. We do not know if you reported these issues to our staff; for future visits we highly recommend you to do it since we will take immediate action to provide you with a satisfying solution in a timely manner. Concerning the plugs, we indeed have different international ones to make our guests stay more convenient.

With regard to the bed, we are sorry that you could not rest well as you did not find your bed to be comfortable; we appreciate your suggestion about the mattress topper. Please rest assured, your comments will be shared with the departments involved in order to improve our service. We do apologise for the inconvenience caused. On the other hand, we are glad you liked our pillows. We indeed offer a pillows menu to our Level guests so they can personalise their experience.

Concerning your comments about our mini-bar, please let us inform you that, as per our policy, to empty the mini-bar fridge involves a cost. However, we have an alternative option which is installing a mini fridge in your room free of charge. We do apologise if our staff did not inform you properly of this possibility. Your feedback will be shared with the departments involved in order to avoid similar situations.

Once again, we are really sorry that you had a negative experience with us and that would not likely return. However, we truly hope we can recover your trust in our hotel in the future and have the chance to welcome you back. Therefore, should your plans ever bring you back to London, please contact the Guest Experience team prior to your arrival, outlining any special requirements you may have so we can take care of you and ensure we provide you with a highly satisfying experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with us.

Guest Experience team

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Special birthday discount, treated selves to Level, always a special experience here and abroad. Saw West End show, dined at the hotel with excellent breakfast. Staff brilliant, great value + top quality, thank you!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Meliá Hotels International

Dear ceks,

Thank you so much for fantastic review.

We are extremely happy to read that we helped to make your birthday even more special. We love to share unique moments with our guests and we are very glad that you had an unforgettable experience with us.

We are delighted to read that you felt pampered at our Level lounge and enjoyed the varied and yummy breakfast offered in this exclusive and relaxed area.

We highly recommend you to follow us on social media to be informed of all our activities and news (such as the new live sessions at our cocktail bar) in order to make the most as well of your future stays.

We would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

I stayed in Melisa White House during my 3 day visit to London in the month of August 2017 and experience was not very good.

The Hotel located centrally near to Tube Stations and close to shopping areas like oxford street, etc. But the building appears to be bit run down in places and could do with a bit of renovation.

I had a couple of bad experiences with this hotel. On one of the days the hotel Central Water Heater system broke down and this was not rectified in quick time. I am surprised that a 4 Star hotel does not have a back up heater system to cater for failure of the main unit. This left me unable to take a bath (not easy with cold water in London) one night.

However what really got me upset was that after I checked out of the hotel and when I arrived back to Dubai, I came to know that I was arbitrarily charged 10 Pounds on my credit card. When I called up the hotel (and spend quite a bit of money on International call to London) I was told this was for an Umbrella that I had borrowed and allegedly did not return. Was quite livid as I had 100% returned the umbrella back to the Hotel a day before leaving. In any case they should have queried this with me first during check-out (and not make an arbitrary unauthorised charge on my card). After some follow up and asking them to check their CCTV records (if required), the charge was finally reversed, but i might have spent an equivalent sum of money on International Calls chasing this up !

So overall not a good experience. Hotels should have the basic courtesy to check with customers before making unauthorised charges and desist from falsely accusing customers of taking off with Hotel property. Was left with a sour taste in the mouth!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Dear Anup P,

First of all, thank you very much for your review.

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the issues encountered. We are really sorry to read that you had to take a cold shower one of the days during your stay due to the problem with the heater. Please rest assured your feedback has been shared with the department involved in order to ensure we keep our service standards. We would like to take the opportunity to inform you that we have recently changed our boilers and we keep a regular check and maintenance as per our policy. We do apologise for this unfortunate incident.

Concerning the issue with the umbrella, after checking with the department involved, please let us inform you that unfortunately this situation was a misunderstanding. As per our brand and service standards, we always clearly inform our guests of any required payment before they check-out. However, we are very sorry that you had this bad experience. Please note that your case has been reported to all departments involved in order to avoid future occurrence.

Please accept our apologies once again. We truly hope we can recover your trust in the future and welcome you back to the Melia White House. Therefore, should your plans ever bring you back to London, please contact our Guest Experience team outlining any special requirement you may have so we can ensure we take care of you and we offer your this time a perfect experience.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The Room was very nice the only minor niggle was it was hard at first to insert the key card in the slot to activate the lights but as that was fixed in 1min. The beds were comfy and the Place were we eat was great the buffet food was nice all the staff were friendly Nicky Ilenia especially so making sure me and dad were enjoying the meals

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Melia W, Guest Relations Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Dear chris b,

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

It is a pleasure for us to read that you had a very enjoyable stay at Melia White House. We are glad to know that you liked The Place Restaurant, and its buffet options which are based in the Mediterranean cuisine and the Balance by Melia program, which promotes a healthy lifestyle. Thank you for your comments about our staff, especially about The Place team who will definitely be informed of such a positive feedback.

On your next visit, if you are staying with us on Thursday, do not miss the new live music sessions we are having at our cocktail bar Dry Martini while enjoying one of their exquisite drinks. For sure it will be a memorable stay!

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. The style and ambiance was amazing. The staff were so warm and friendly they added a lot to our stay. The food and pool bar were excellent. We enjoyed it and hope to return.

Room Tip: We weren't sure of the air conditioning instructions.