“A Nice and Centrally Located Hotel in London”
Review of Melia White House

Melia White House
Ranked #293 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I live in Saudi Arabia and recently had to fly to England to have my wife’s arm repaired after she fell and badly fractured it. Rather than hand her over to the local equivalent of Dr. Nick of The Simpson’s fame, my company put us on a plane to the UK. We were put up at the Melia White House Hotel near Regent’s Park.

The rooms are not very big. Comfortable enough, but not like a Marriott room. There is wi-fi throughout the hotel with a strong signal. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could stream my Netflix account (UK now has Netflix). We were in a “high priced” room which gave access to the “Level Seven” club, which was a lounge that offered a very awesome breakfast (and where I live, pork is illegal, so having sausage, bacon, and ham available was great). At night, Level Seven guests can go there and have beer, wine, and appetizers. Most nights we made the appetizers into our evening meal, which was very economical considering how EXPENSIVE the UK is, and particularly London.

They have a computerized elevator system. You press your floor number on a central console, and it tells you which door to go to. Then you get in, and up you. Very efficient. No waiting around forever and having to stop at every floor. Rooms could have been better insulated, or perhaps the people who thought it was fine to shout into their cell-phones at 12:30 AM (in the hallways) just had big mouths.

There is a room safe. Water pressure was great but the exhaust fan in our room and the towel heater were both out of service. Maintenance came up and said it was the breaker, but in the week we were there, neither item worked. There is a mini-bar and fridge. We did not use this service, and I thought it was odd that you could fit nothing else in the fridge, say for example you bought some bottles of water and you wanted to chill them.

The staff will come in at night to turn down your room. We don’t really like that service, so at nights just put out the do-not-disturb sign and the staff left us in peace.

The staff was efficient but not overbearing. When I arrived with my carry-on the doorman offered to take it, but did not chase me down for it when I said I would carry it myself. We asked for the 2 PM late check-out and again were pleased when we were not incessantly bugged throughout the day by housekeeping to see if we had left yet. On our first night, the staff was concerned with the do-not-disturb because they knew my wife had just been checked out of the hospital, and they called the room to check up and make sure she was OK. I thought that attention was a nice touch. You are about a block away from the Portland Street Metro Station. I find the London Underground to be a bit confusing, and expensive, when compared to subway systems in the USA, but there seems to be staff at every station who are able to successfully steer wayward tourists to their destinations.

This hotel is owned by a Spanish company and it caters to Spanish tourists and visitors. But, everyone on the staff we encountered spoke fluent English, though I was able to put some of my (mostly forgotten) Spanish to good use.

All in all a really nice visit (under the circumstances). I’d stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Gwijie
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

“A Nice and Centrally Located Hotel in London”
Reviewed 29 July 2012
1person found this review helpful

All in all a really nice visit (under the circumstances). I’d stay there again.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Value Location Sleep Quality Rooms Cleanliness Service

Dear Mr. Gwijie,
Thank you for choosing the Melia White House for your last stay in London, and for taking the time to give us as much information about your stay as possible.

We were delighted to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and deeply hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have stayed in many hotels around London on business and pleasure, and this is one of my favourites. A 2 minute walk from Great Portland Street tube station makes it very handy. The rooms are excellent, I have stayed in a few different ones and they all offer clean, luxurious rooms. Plenty of space in the bedrooms, and some nice touches in the deluxe rooms and suites. If you can then upgrade to the level as this gives access to an executive lounge which is well worth the extra.
The bar is very traditional and very relaxing. An excellent selection of whisky.
Have only had dinner there once and it was very good, nice varied selection of meals, they know how to cook a steak properly!
Breakfast - a great selection and great quality.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank danpne69
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your great comments.
We are glad to have made it to your favorites list of hotels in London. As you have said, upgrading to the Level and to our Executive and Superior rooms allows our guests to have more advantages at a fair price.
We are particularly glad to hear your comments about our bar and restaurants as we value these outlets highly.
We hope to be able to welcome you back soon to continue providing you with our excellent service.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed here with my mum and auntie for girly night away - It is quite hard to find hotels for three people in central london so this was in part the reason for choosing Meila White House, and we ended up in a suite (not extortionately priced for London either!) We had large double and sofa bed which was perfect for our needs. As previously mentioned, private check in, free tapas, bubbly and largers in the private bar for those staying in a suite. Also spoilt for choice for breakfast -cereals, fruit, cooked breakfast, pancakes.. We had planned to go out during the evening but ended up staying in having tapas! All the facilities you would expect from a large modern hotel, very clean, staff all curteous and in a good location just a short walk to the tube station. Already planning a trip back next year, but if you do go definately book a suite!!

Room Tip: Choose a suite
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank rahu20

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are glad you were able to have a great stay with us for such an important night for you.
As you have recommended, by booking a room in a higher category, you will have access to The Level which has refreshments and snacks all day long and lovely tapas in the evening.
We are glad to hear you will be coming back and we look forward to be able to provide you with the same service as you have previously enjoyed.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed two nights here in July as my usual's were all fully booked and this trip was last minute. I did have some insider info on this hotel from a close friend so I knew not to book the cheapest 'Classic' room as they refer to it, instead I had a suite. Now as suites go this wasn't huge but it was reasonably appointed had plenty of room for my needs although there wasn't much furniture. I had an end of corridor room so it had two aspects which meant lots of light and it was on the quiet side of the hotel. However for some reason i could hear strange dragging sounds at all hours which seemed to be coming from above and sounded like baggage or trolley wheels - i wasn't near the lift so not sure why this was happening but it was annoying at 3pm in the morning!!
The bathrooms even in the suites are small but they are reasonably appointed however mine did have some cracked floor tiles which was sloppy as they could have been easily replaced.
i had access to the 'Level", which is there executive lounge so breakfast, drinks tapas etc available at no extra cost - this is a nice touch if you're on business, not sure if its worth it if you're a tourist though.
Great bed though..!!!
Check in was efficient as was Check out and I can't fault the staff, although room service was a little slow.
The entrance of the hotel has been modernised a lot, quite contemporary but the room corridors do have a 'Titanicesque' feel to them and look a bit old fashioned - infact the rooms are a little out of date if I was being picky....which i am.
All in all it was good stay at a reasonable price for London, very handy for GPS tube and not a very long walk to the heart of W1 - so I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank I_SpyUk
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share all your comments.
As your friend suggested you correctly, we do try to advise our guests to book the higher category rooms as they provide them with more space and we think, a better comfort. A further advantage is the Level, which provides you with refreshments and food all day long, as you correctly mentioned.
In regards to the renovation, we are still renovating some rooms and the corridors on all the floors, reason for which the lobby looks more modern than the rest of the building.
We are glad to hear you will be coming back and let me assure you that we look forward to welcoming you back to provide you with our best service throughout your stay with us.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

Last October I stayed at the Melia White house in London while on business. The hotel looks exactly like most Americans would imagine the white house to look like. The staff is mostly Spanish, being a Spanish chain of hotels, and they are super friendly and helpful. This was my first time in London, so I did not know what to expect. The rooms were small comparatively to the rooms here in the US, as was the bathroom, but apparently, that's Europe for ya!

Breakfast was included with my room rate and was a great spread! They have a little bit of everything for everyone, including traditional English fare, Spanish items, and some American style comforts. I would surely stay here again on business (it's close to our offices and the tube).

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our Breakfast buffet, which is one of our key assets. As you mentioned, our staff tries to be as helpful and friendly as posssible in order to provide you with any service you might need.
We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back soon for your next visit to London.