“Olive Hotel Not Good Value”
Review of Oliver Hotel

Oliver Hotel
Ranked #836 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Olive Hotel Not Good Value”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Very disappointed by the standards in this hotel and it did not reflect good value for money. Not happy at all with the bedrooms. The first one was shocking and I would have left but it had been prepaid. The room was old and smelt and bedding was sheets and blankets I told reception I could not stay there. Then she showed me to a slightly better room and we suffered it but again I was not happy so we went out and came back and went to bed. Surprisingly, the bed was comfortable, but my companion had been bitten by the morning. Breakfast was not very inspiring and the service was not good nor the quality of the food and bevereges. Coffee was spooned out of a large can of Nescafé Instant and the waitress growled at me when I asked for a drink after a 10 minute wait. The proprietors should take a walk up to the Coronation Hotel in Neven place to get some idea of simple but good standards of hotel keeping and service, as currently the Olive Hotel Cromwell Rd reflects very poor value for money. Do not mistake his hotel with Olive Plaza Hotels which has high standards.

• Stayed April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Used this hotel on business trip and all that can be said is that you get what u pay for. Used it as a place to crash at night. you get solid personal service from owner/manager as is hands on. Treat staff with respect and one will be treated as such.

Room Tip: away from lift if i remember and avoid grnd floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Lincoln UK
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We were here for just one night to see a performance at the Royal Albert Hall and then to shop / visit the natural History Museum.

The hotel was well placed for us to walk to where we wanted to be and by taking a family room for £120 the four of us could afford to visit London. When I was looking at alternative accomodation most hotels would only provide 2 rooms so the cost was upwards of £200 for us.

For the money we got a reasonable sized room with a shower / toilet. It was big enough and everything worked, other than a couple of light bulbs. It was reasonably clean. It was quiet and the beds, a double and something a bit bigger were comfortable.

In the morning there was a table service breakfast with boiled eggs, ham, toast and jam and coffee. If you wanted more of anything you could have it. The food was basic but fine and there was plenty but limited choice.

A note on car parking. after I think 7pm on saturday you can park your car free outside the hotel until early Monday am but otherwise you need to park it elsewhere. I paid £25 to park in the car parking spaces the hotel has just over the road. It is an under ground car park and you need to ask for clear instructions on how to get in and out on foot. You drive in with a tag which the barrier recognises but you can not walk out the same way. You have to find the right door which is not marked up and use the tag to let you in to the flats above the car park.

The staff we met spoke quite limited English but they did their best for us. I guess they don't earn a lot and we made the small effort to be polite and they were helpful.

I think for what we wanted, that is a cheap place to sleep and have breakfast, it was fine. I can not imagine staying here for more than a few days. For London it is good value ( a one course meal for 4 cost £50 for reference) and we would stay here again. We were in the new part of the hotel so can not comment on the rest of it but it seemed quite busy and I heard no complaints but it is basic.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MJBCarrots
Headcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hotel is very convenient for public transport, in a safe and pleasant area. The staff was pleasant and helpfull. The room was small but clean and had a safe, a television, a hairdryer, a trouser press and plenty of storage and overlooked nice quiet gardens behind the hotel. The en suite shower was the smallest I have ever seen, you could not bend down to pick up the soap if you dropped it (but other hotels at the same price only had shared bathrooms so I didn't mind). There was a nice lounge with large television and comfy chairs. The breakfast was nothing exciting but quite adequate. For the price I paid, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Leeofmani
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Not what I would rate as a small friendly hotel, staff are curt and just plain rude, the lift was out of order when I arrived and I was told to just use the stairs to the third floor room and no help offered with the three cases I had with me. I had booked an ensuite room and to be fair it was that in the strict technical definition of the word. I would recommend however that the room I ended up with be kept strictly for visiting contortionists. I fail to see how anyone of a more normal stature could use these facilities and not end up suffering with dislocated limbs as a result. Definitely not recommended for those with a claustrophobic disposition, I have been in phone boxes more spacious. Don’t bother with breakfast, it just not worth the effort.

Room Tip: Dont go here!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo