“Good Budget Hotel”

Ranked #840 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lincoln UK
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We were here for just one night to see a performance at the Royal Albert Hall and then to shop / visit the natural History Museum.

The hotel was well placed for us to walk to where we wanted to be and by taking a family room for £120 the four of us could afford to visit London. When I was looking at alternative accomodation most hotels would only provide 2 rooms so the cost was upwards of £200 for us.

For the money we got a reasonable sized room with a shower / toilet. It was big enough and everything worked, other than a couple of light bulbs. It was reasonably clean. It was quiet and the beds, a double and something a bit bigger were comfortable.

In the morning there was a table service breakfast with boiled eggs, ham, toast and jam and coffee. If you wanted more of anything you could have it. The food was basic but fine and there was plenty but limited choice.

A note on car parking. after I think 7pm on saturday you can park your car free outside the hotel until early Monday am but otherwise you need to park it elsewhere. I paid £25 to park in the car parking spaces the hotel has just over the road. It is an under ground car park and you need to ask for clear instructions on how to get in and out on foot. You drive in with a tag which the barrier recognises but you can not walk out the same way. You have to find the right door which is not marked up and use the tag to let you in to the flats above the car park.

The staff we met spoke quite limited English but they did their best for us. I guess they don't earn a lot and we made the small effort to be polite and they were helpful.

I think for what we wanted, that is a cheap place to sleep and have breakfast, it was fine. I can not imagine staying here for more than a few days. For London it is good value ( a one course meal for 4 cost £50 for reference) and we would stay here again. We were in the new part of the hotel so can not comment on the rest of it but it seemed quite busy and I heard no complaints but it is basic.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MJBCarrots
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Headcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hotel is very convenient for public transport, in a safe and pleasant area. The staff was pleasant and helpfull. The room was small but clean and had a safe, a television, a hairdryer, a trouser press and plenty of storage and overlooked nice quiet gardens behind the hotel. The en suite shower was the smallest I have ever seen, you could not bend down to pick up the soap if you dropped it (but other hotels at the same price only had shared bathrooms so I didn't mind). There was a nice lounge with large television and comfy chairs. The breakfast was nothing exciting but quite adequate. For the price I paid, I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Leeofmani
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Not what I would rate as a small friendly hotel, staff are curt and just plain rude, the lift was out of order when I arrived and I was told to just use the stairs to the third floor room and no help offered with the three cases I had with me. I had booked an ensuite room and to be fair it was that in the strict technical definition of the word. I would recommend however that the room I ended up with be kept strictly for visiting contortionists. I fail to see how anyone of a more normal stature could use these facilities and not end up suffering with dislocated limbs as a result. Definitely not recommended for those with a claustrophobic disposition, I have been in phone boxes more spacious. Don’t bother with breakfast, it just not worth the effort.

Room Tip: Dont go here!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RJCN8

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This place isn't clean. I was horrified by the bedding and was never comfortable for a minute. The staff was unpleasant, the breakfast not good. It was traumatic to stay here. I'm returning to London soon and will steer clear of this mess. Every other place I've ever stayed in London -- countless places -- was far better. I was stuck in tourist season, not having planned ahead enough. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Make sure the room is...elsewhere. Like the park or a bus station. St Paul's?
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I have driven across the US and stayed in some pretty questionable hotels, but when I come to London I know that I have to be, shall we say "flexible" about my expectations for a hotel room. I realize that when traveling through Europe it's wise to bring your sense of humor however I was totally unprepared for my experience at the Oliver.

The first thing you think as you walk through the door is "What's the cancellation policy again?" I was dutifully interrogated by the ex KGB employee who manned the front desk and ushered off to my room.

Surprise, yes the room was small...well tiny actually: so welcome to London! All par for the course... but then I saw the bathroom... oh my God. I'm 5 feet 8 inches, not exactly tall but there wasn't enough room for me to sit on the toilet, I had to sit sideways to accommodate my knees!

Well that was good for a laugh. (remember, sense of humor required)

But I wasn't particularly amused when I tried taking a shower and discovered that there wasn't enough space in the stall to move my arms, I literally had to soak under the water, step out of the shower to soap and scrub and step back in to rinse off!

Thank God I was only here for one night.

After my shower I made the mistake of going downstairs for the "Continental" breakfast that was included with my stay. What I wasn't told was that the continent in question was Antarctica! Undrinkable coffee, rubbery egg (singular), slimy yogurt and miserable service, there was not one edible thing in the room.

And speaking of miserable service...not a single smile the whole time I was there from any of the employees. They offered consistently "Soviet" service that led me to believe that I was really just an annoyance...or an inmate.

Needless to say unless you're fresh from the Gulag avoid this place like the plague...which I suspect is being incubated in the bed linens!

One last thing, I would love to hear from anyone, ANYONE who has stayed at this hotel and gone back to stay another night.

Room Tip: Any other room in any other hotel...perhaps a park bench...under a bridge...trust me you'll than...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled solo