“Really interesting and colourful way to spend a few hours” 5 of 5 bubbles

Alternative London
Ranked #1 of 165 Food & Drink in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the London you won't find in the guide books with London's original off-the-beaten-track tour provider! Come with us to explore the culture, community and street art of London's vibrant East End. We offer unique and original walking tours, bike tours and food & drink tours and as London's original street art tour provider we also offer street art workshops led by our team of street artists. Tour prices start at pay-what-you-want so there's something for everyone at a price to suit all budgets. Let our expert guides show you the real London, from a local's perspective!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really interesting and colourful way to spend a few hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

As a Londoner who goes out a fair bit in East London, it felt a bit funny joining a tour of an area I thought I knew well as though I was a tourist. However, I am so glad I did as I learned things about East London I had no idea about! Our tour guide was Doug, who was funny without being annoying, and who kept the tour going at the perfect pace, so the afternoon never dragged or felt rushed. Doug openly admitted at the start that his background was not in art or history, and although I have to admit I would be interested to take the tour with Gary the company founder to see if he provides a more in depth history into the art and artists, Doug had clearly done his research and learned a lot about the culture and I trusted that all he had to say was accurate.

What was amazing about this tour is that it is obviously not just a set route with set stopping points that the guides have visited a hundred times, a lot of the work we were shown was created in the last couple of weeks which really felt exciting and underlined the fleeting nature of street art. It also means you could go on this tour again and again and see new things every time. It showed that the tour guides really have their finger on the pulse, and made Doug's only recent involvement in that world even more irrelevant.

Something that stuck with me was the way in which that side of London is being developed on so quickly now, and the charm of London's "poor" east is being swallowed up in fancy high rise buildings and shopping centres. I find this to be incredibly sad, as this tour completely highlighted a side of London that is totally unique to anywhere else. I recommend going on this tour before East London's street art scene all but disappears.

P.S. the tour is free but I would put mentally put aside at least some money to give your tour guide at the end, they really deserve it

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hebrew first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it! I love street art from people in the know.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I have spend hours in other cities searching out street Art and this saved me the time by having a guide in the know.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the knowledge and history covered by the guide.

Would definitely recommend

1 Thank Sarah_saz_1981
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best tour ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

i loved it. So much. It was fun, the guides are cool and so interesting and beautiful.

1 Thank Charli E
Oldenburg, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Just take the tour already!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

This tour was awesome: You get a very unique perspective on London's East end and the street art scene buzzing there. Considering how much everything changes all the time, you can take the tour basically every month and you'll see completely new and cool stuff every time!

1 Thank jgeuter
Sydney
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great opportunity to see something genuine and different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Gary has a passion for art and artists and artistic freedom.
He has a wealth of knowledge of the history and culture of the East End of London and imparts it in a friendly and interesting way.
The works which he guides you to during the tour are mostly magnificent pieces of art, and even if they're not everyone's cup of tea, they'll have a fascinating story behind them.
I recommend this tour to anyone who wants to see and learn about a different side of London and be surprised!
(We even saw Princess Anne on our tour!)

1 Thank AussieBushSally

Been to Alternative London? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK