“Best avoided until after the Olympics” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of London Hilton on Park Lane

Ranked #318 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“Best avoided until after the Olympics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was my third or fourth stay in this hotel (not sure why I didn't review it before) and as on previous stays it was a mixed experience. On the positive side all the hotel staff are very friendly and efficient. The negatives are in several categories. Firstly this is an official Olympic "venue" - I knew in advance that we needed photo id and would be searched and that the hotel parking would be closed. What I didn't know was that we'd have to go through airport style security scanning and then have to get accreditation and passes before we could even get into the hotel to check in. It took ages and we were nearly late for dinner (in a restaurant nearby). When we got back to the room we found the TV didn't work, reported it, no one turned up to fix it, spoke to Guest Relations and pointed out that we'd had the same problem on several previous stays. A reduction in the room rate (actually I was using Hilton HHonours points) was agreed for the inconvenience as it was too late to change rooms and we wanted to go to sleep. Someone tried to get into the room after we'd gone to bed (presumably to look at the TV) - luckily I'd out the "chain" thing across the inside of the door. There wasn't an iron in the room (and we were too rushed on arrival to get one delivered) and the extractor fan in the bathroom didn't work (only realised that when it was too late to ask for it to be fixed).

Breakfast was OK (though pretty expensive for what you get). Why do we go back again when I don't think we've ever had a working TV in the first room we've been shown? It's the location and the fact that the staff are so helpful. I wouldn't, however, recommend it during the London 2012 Olympics - just too much aggro getting in and out.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KK06
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Unless I am mistaken, I believe that we have been in contact via e-mail regarding your recent stay.

In any case, I must apologise once again for your experience with the television not working in your room. This is a matter that has been taken up with security and rectified as a matter of urgency. Regarding the Olympic Security, while we have taken steps to ensure that the impact of these new measures are as minimal as possible, it is clear that the changes did have a negative effect for you and I am sorry for that.

Thank you very much once again for your feedback, and I am glad that the location and the hospitality of the staff were so to your satisfaction. When you have a moment please do respond to my e-mail in order to discuss this situation in further detail. Just in case, my e-mail address is david.gerrard@hilton.com.

London Hilton on Park Lane
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I am a frequent visitor to the London Hilton on Park Lane.

The location of this hotel makes it VERY convenient to Oxford Street for shopping, or indeed Mayfair. HydePark Corner tube or Green Park Tube stations are a very short walk. This is a brilliant location, the hotel has far reaching views. There is nothing better than spotting the landmarks of London from one of the rooms.

Each time I check in, the staff have the courtesy to remember me, these little things mean a lot, for them to acknowledge me and welcome me back means I choose this hotel time and time again.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. There is an executive lounge which offers good quality snacks throughout the day (mini meals if you eat enough), tea, coffee, soft drinks and wine.

The staff at this hotel seem to like people! They go out of their way to make you feel valued, they even walk you to the lift once you have checked in. They smile as you walk into the hotel.
I have never had any problems, the staff are always helpful when I stay, the Guest Services Manager, David Gerrard is always in attendance and has checked on several occasions that everything is ok with my stay. I like the touches this hotel offers. It values it's customers.

If you do stay, a trip to Galvin's is very worthwhile. This is the rooftop restaurant which overlooks all of London.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you ever so much for your kind words.

I am so pleased that you have had such enjoyable stays with us, and that you have received those special touches that our staff do strive to provide for our guests. More than just having our guests see us as a business, we aim to provide feelings of friendship and family, and I am so pleased that this has been your experience.

I cannot thank you enough for your kind words, and I do very much look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Afternoon tea at The Hilton was a great experience,the staff were exemplary and attended to all our needs with a smile,even on request from my son Harry that he was collecting champagne corks they went and found some old corks.The whole experience from the food to the service was excellent and would recommend a must when in London W1.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TOOTSIEBOY1966
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am delighted to read that you have had such an exemplary time with us at our Podium Restaurant. If you do happen to have the staff member's name who went above and beyond in searching for the champagne corks for your son, please do send it to me at david.gerrard@hilton.com so that I may follow up with a gesture of recognition.

Thank you very much for your kind words, and we do look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We have been staying here fairly regularly for the last 10 years and it has become our benchmark of what we should get for the money - it is very good. However, in June we stayed with our wider family from Australia and the staff went that extra mile. They went out of their way to ensure that a variety of disabilities were no handicap.
Points that were made:
The new elevator service works well - given the number of floors and the traffic, waiting time is minimal.
The Executive Lounge is one of the reasons we keep going back - the food, drinks, service and a quiet lounge make the hotel an ideal, home from home.
The food at Galvin's has the wow factor that does not always come with a Michelin star - we went back a second time and were still impressed.
The rooms are comfortable, large (for London) and, when there are faults, these are rapidly put right.
The Podium restaurant - feelings were more mixed - it is not as consistently good as its prices indicate.
Customer service is good
Good room service menu - quantities are satisfying

Room Tip: It is worth thinking about an Executive room in order to get access to the Lounge
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TBCS
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and review.

I am very happy to hear that you have enjoyed our high standard of service and hospitality over the past ten years, and that your recent stay with your extended family has been such a positive one. From your review, it sounds as though you have been able to visit and enjoy a range of facilities on our property, and that our staff went the extra mile when it came to any special requests.

Thank you very much once again, and I do look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Having read the other reviews I wonder if we were staying at the same hotel! Granted our room was at a discounted rate as we were attending an awards dinner at the hotel but it still was not cheap. Our room was quite spacious but not huge and overall felt shabby. The curtains were dirty and there was a whole in the net curtains behind them. The leather chair was dirty I didn't want to look too close to be honest. The bathroom was also disappointing. The bath was dull and the shower like needles (unable to adjust the fixed head to a different spray) and the soil pipe to the wc was corroded and unsightly. The complimentary toiletries were disappointing and limited and there were not bath robes. We were next to a suite that was obviously in the process of being refurbished as we were woken at 8.00am by the sound of drilling! As a previous reviewer has mentioned the 'intelligent' lifts are a bit of a nightmare. There is no way I would pay the prices charged to stay in this hotel it really is not worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hilton_ParkLane, Guest Services Manager at London Hilton on Park Lane, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback.

Please do rest assured that the quality of room and stay that you have described in your review does come as a shock to myself, and is absolutely not up to the high standards that we pride ourselves on providing here at the London Hilton on Park Lane.

I will want to do some further investigation with all of the relevant departments regarding this issue. As such, if I may ask you to contact me either via e-mail at david.gerrard@hilton.com or by calling the hotel at 0207 493 8000 and asking for me, then we can discuss this matter further and you can provide me with the room number for a more thorough follow-up.

I do hope that you were able to enjoy the Awards dinner itself during your stay, and I will await your contact at your earliest convenience.