“Excellent Hotel, Top Class, Brilliant Location, Recommended!”

Kingsway Hall Hotel
Ranked #252 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Cornwall
“Excellent Hotel, Top Class, Brilliant Location, Recommended!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here on a Friday eve, Got off the tube at Holborn and Hotel is a stone throw away. Friendly meet and greet and easy smooth welcoming check-in. We had a standard double room and it was lovely, spacious for London! Bed was huge! Everything really clean and well appointed. We didn't eat in the hotel as we arrived late, but the Indian Menu seemed very reasonable! Although the location is central, we had a great nights sleep, no noise. Breakfast was good, lots of choice, buffet style but it was all tasty and fresh. I'm fussy with hotels but really enjoyed my stay here and would recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank illegally_blonde529
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My sister and I stayed for one night on the 3 February. The hotel is very nice and the twin bedded room 111 we were shown to was very large and immaculately clean with a lovely big bathroom but it was very cold in there. The staff were very nice about this and tried to sort out the heating problem but unfortunately they couldn't and there were no other twin bedded room available. We were given heaters and extra blankets but it was still cold in the room and the bathroom was freezing - we had to put towels on the floor so that we could stand on it!!! We had extra blankets on the bed and we left 2 heaters on all night and we were not comfortably warm. The next morning I didn't want to pay for the room but the receptionist said the front of house manager was not there and if we paid I could email him and he would sort out a refund. Well he hasn't despite several emails and a recorded delivery letter - he has offered us an upgrade to an executive king suite with complimentary breakfast but that is not what I want I want my money back as I did not get what I paid for. So if you are thinking of staying in this hotel and you have any sort of problem - move out because they will still make you pay!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lyn115
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2012

First, the good points. As many have said, it's a great location. And with a covered drive area, loading and unloading luggage is easy. You don't have to fight for a place on the street. And the room was large and comfortable.
Now, the reason for the two stars. On Valentine's Day, we ordered afternoon tea for our room. It was a well advertised promotion (notices were in the elevator, etc.) The first difficulty was in ordering it. The room service person didn't seem to understand. The Valentine's Day tea was to come with Prosecco and other goodies. We explained it, but he sounded perplexed. We then received a call back from the restaurant. We explained it to them. Finally, it came. At 50 GBP for the two, a little expensive, but seemed worth it. It was substantial. Much more than we could finish. So we left more than half of it on our table and went to the opera, thinking it would be a very nice snack after the performance. When we got back, it was gone. Cleared out of the room in the evening (we left at 7 P.M.). But that wasn't the end of it. On the same day, my wife couldn't locate a toiletry bag containing over $200 in toiletries. We did a complete search of all of our luggage, and it wasn't there. Stolen by someone with a key access. After that, we put a "do not disturb" sign on the door, and left our "key card" in the electronic slot in the room (so hotel staff would think someone was in the room, and wouldn't enter). The next day was no problem - no daytime cleaning or night-time "turn down service". We no longer trusted the staff. On the following day, however, my wife was getting ready in the washroom, when she heard the door open. She opened the washroom door to find a surprised-looking maid (who immediately apologized and left). But the "do not disturb" sign was still on the door! They apparently do not even recognize that!
When we left, we told the desk staff about the stolen toiletry items, who called the assistant manager. I explained it to her, and said I wasn't looking for compensation, but the hotel should be made aware of the problem. She promised to do a full investigation, took my contact information, and promised to keep me informed. I heard nothing more from them.
I didn't let this ruin our vacation, but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James773
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed 2 nights with my girlfriend in late Feb and I have to say that I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be slap bang in theatre land! Lovely hotel all round with lovely staff. An absolute gem.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Clusk86
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Great location but at only 5,8 tall its the first hotel that my feet hang over the end of the bed. ? We stopped 25th 26th feb and got no sleep.
We felt a bit stupid complaining as we are both not exactly tall but these beds , we were in room 402, are really short. Dont think of stopping in an ordinary room if you are a normal height.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple