“Great stay, nice rooms, well treated here!”

Crowne Plaza London Kensington
Ranked #123 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Very nice hotel with excellent proximityntonthe Underground. Staff is courteous and pleasant. The bellman or concierge Raj was the best I've seen yet. We have stayed there twice now (months apart) and he actually remembered us!!! He even remembered our kids names!! Love that guy. Hotel is not too close to hustle and bustle of London, but not too far away to get to it if we wanted it. Allowed us to stay in the same room with our children which was awesome for Europe. Nice modern room with comfortable beds. Great stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mom_II_Boys
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Mom_II_Boys
Thank you for your review of our hotel, I am so pleased that like many other guests, you felt able to give us a 5/5 rating.
I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Raj; we have a great team of concierges here, and unusually for a small hotel, 3 of our concierges are members of the prestigeous Golden Keys, the Society for all the top concierges around the world.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
|Lawder Smith

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed here during the London Marathon in April this year. The hotel is in a great location and I'd stay again for the convenience alone. The Gloucester Road tube station is less than a minute walk (across quite a busy road), there is a fairly big Waitrose supermarket also a minute away and there is so much to see and do in the area. The Natural History museum is a very pleasant 10-15 minute stroll, South Kensington is in this area and it's not too far to walk to Knightsbridge or to Hyde Park. It's in a very beautiful area of London and we walked from the hotel all the way to Leicester Square via Harrods & Buckingham Palace.

The room was typical of most British hotels which is to say it was slightly compact! However we didn't feel a need for any extra space. Lovely smellies in the bathroom (from Pecksniff's of London), and everything was very clean and new. We specified we wanted a quiet room and had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking quite a large garden (full of lovely trees in full blossom) and a very pretty church. I imagine rooms at the front would be fairly noisy as the road is very busy.

A few negatives: the breakfast room is very strange and seems to be styled on an American diner with 70's looking orange benches and formica tables. The food choices aren't huge but definitely sufficient - a small selection of hot food, pastries & breads, yogurts & fruits and cereal. They make porridge to order but it was like hot milk with little grey pebbles floating in...not at all appetising or enjoyable. The hotel staff in general were helpful and friendly, but waiting staff in the breakfast room are very slow. If the breakfast buffet gets emptied (which it did on two mornings out of four), it takes forever for it to get re-stocked, and then it's a few slices of bread then a few minutes later the juice gets topped up, then a while later a couple of sausages are brought out etc. The tea they serve is pretty horrible.

We had a gripe with the package we booked which was a 'marathon special'. The deal implied that there was an evening meal included in the rate, but it was just clever semantics: 'a pasta dinner is available for runners the night before the race', which just means you can buy dinner there, but we thought was included. The main draw of the marathon rate was that they were providing a bus to the race start, so we were really annoyed to learn the bus was picking up from the hotel at 6.30am and then touring the rest of london picking up others as it went, which isn't exactly the convenience we thought they'd be providing. We ended up taking the tube which was undoubtedly quicker and more direct than the bus could have been.

There are several steps to climb to get into the hotel and on our various comings and goings we saw lots of people trying to drag their suitcases & bags up the steps, but we didn't ever see any staff assisting with the bags.

The positives definitely outweigh the negatives and I will stay here again when I'm lucky enough to go back for a visit.

Room Tip: Go for a garden room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BornToSleep

Dear Borntosleep
Thank you for leaving a review of your stay with us back in April. I am delighted that you will return again and that all the positive aspects of the stay outweighed the few negative ones.
We are usually praised for the friendliness of our staff and so I am very sorry to read that our breakfast team let us down on this occassion. I have discussed your comments with them so that they can understand how inportant it is to always be proactive in ensuring our guests have a great visit.
The orange leather seating in the restaurant is not intended to be American in design, but was influenced by a Feng Shue master from Singapore who was used as a consultant in our recent ground floor refurbishment.
Our concierge team are always on hand to help guests with luggage both up and down the 4 steps at the front of the hotel ( we do also have a lift beside the steps for guests with mobility needs)
I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one week in June and enjoyed it so much we came back for another week in July. Brilliant location and very helpful and friendly staff. Two adults and two children so we enjoyed staying in the two storey suite for the first week but when we returned in July this room was unavailable so we stayed in the Deluxe Double room which was just fine. Comfortable modern interior, bathroom etc. Staff at concierge were so helpful with all of our sightseeing bookings, advice etc. They even went out of their way to get my iPad working.

Many places to eat - we tried so many eg. Byron for delicious hamburgers, Paul for their baguettes, pastries, coffee and gooey hot chocolates. The Angus Steakhouse was fab and we loved the pub opposite the Gloucester Road train station. Having Waitrose just across the road was also so handy for our family. We will surely staff here if we have a chance to return to London.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Merry N
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear New008
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
The choice of restaurants close by is indeed great, but on your next visit you must try Umami, our new Asian restaurant that offers a range of authentic dishes from Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Indonesia.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was my first experience in London and all was superb. It started at check in when Gonzalo Valdemoro became our best friend help me and my colleague to begin to understand the English context as well as how to navigate the property. Next on our list of favorites was Raj, Ibrahim at the concierge, who worked arrangements for an unusual request out side of town but went way beyond expectations to see we were served as well as satisfied in my friends journey to trace his fathers WWII experience. That made the trip in the first 20 minutes. From then on it was gravy. If offered by all means upgrade to the club lounge. George and Arman were the best. Both of them not only were well trained but exhibited unusual gifts of hospitality and service. The rest of the staff is by far the best asset of the club. Internet was great, fitness room met expectations. Mens locker and Sauna were a little small and obviously added later just to be complete but its not a spa hotel anyway. The location is perfect as the Gloucester Road station is within 100 meters and will take you anywhere in the city. My only caution, is if you purchase theater tickets they are a full 20 pounds over face value, but it did get us great seats at the last minute. Overall a great experience and I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: If you have a chance, upgrade to the Club floor and lounge is worth the money. Free breakfast, cock...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank livinfast

Dear livinfast
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay with us. I am so glad you had a great experience and I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Gonzalez, Raj, Giorgio and Arman, I know they will be encouraged to hear that their hard work is appreciated.
With regards theatre tickets, there is often the option to get last minute deals via the internet at discounted prices, although you may not get the show you want and the selection of seats may not be good. Our concierge team, have built a great network of contacts at London theatres and can usually get very good seats for most shows at very short notice, although where they have to buy these through an agent, there is a higher price to pay. I am glad however that you got theseats you wanted.
I do hope you will be back with us again very soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Saturday 14th July 2012. We booked through laterooms.com and got the 'Secret Hotel' deal for about £85. We were thrilled when we received confirmation that the hotel was indeed the Crowne Plaza, and together with the location (just across the road from the Tube station and shops in gorgeous Kensington) and the price it was all just so perfect. We checked in at about 4pm as we needed to be out again to meet friends at 5. The lobby is glamourous, smart, luxurious and warm. The two staff at the desk were genuinely lovely. The lady (I didn't catch her name, but she was there again in the morning too) was one of the sweetest people we'd ever experienced behind a hotel desk. She was warm, genuine, friendly and welcoming. To our delight we were offered a complimentary room upgrade and asked to wait at the bar for about 30 mins while the room was prepared. This was a choice, as we could have chosen the original room straight away had we been in a hurry, which we weren't. So, we walked round through the recently refurbished lobby and down into the bar area and were taken aback by its beauty. It truly is stunning. Think big, designer sofas, flowers everywhere, an adjoining garden, deep pile rugs and carpeting, solid coffee tables, bespoke furniture and a luxurious atmosphere. We settled in a nice comfortable corner here and were served drinks by a lovely waitress. There is a wall-to-ceiling bookcase running down the back wall full of interesting coffee-table style books that kept us entertained. The WC's were down a sweeping staircase, and beautiful aswell. The marble, solid wood and low lighting is really special. We were shown to our room within the 30 minutes and were again happily surprised at how beautiful it was. It was spacious, luxurious, modern and comfortable. The bed was huge, we could spread out in any direction and not touch the edges! The glass desk had a designer chair that was very stylist and modern. There was a cozy bucket chair and footstool in the corner, and a round glass table with another chair by the window. The lighting was great, too, with about five different ways of lighting the room due to there being lots of lamps and switches. The TV was large, clear and just the right distance from the bed so as not to be too large or too small to view. The complimentary selection of teas, coffees, chocolate and water were a nice touch. The curtains, thick, lined and heavy, kept out any traces of light meaning the room was totally dark when we were sleeping, always a bonus. The bathroom was spacious, modern and chic, with a full-sized bath and a separate full-size waterfall shower unit the other side of the bathroom. The toiletries were all aromatherapy-based which is always nice, but there was no conditioner, only shampoo for the hair. Even though we were on the 4th floor, we didn't have time to use the Club Lounge or Gym, but I'm sure these facilities are equally excellent. There was a large, powerful hairdryer which was a godsend as so often hotel hairdryers are small and weak in hotels. The iPod dock/DAB radio was great, made by Pure who are a quality audio company (I have one of their DAB radios at home). The bed was so comfortable, I mean sink-into-it-and-never-wake-up comfortable. Check-out was not until 12pm so we had lots of time to relax and enjoy the morning. The only thing that I had to mention to the staff at the front desk was actually quite an issue for us: the adjoining door to the next room. This, I assume, is designed for parties or families who want to be able to connect rooms, but it means that there is absolutely no sound proofing between the rooms, and you can hear every whisper of what's going on next door. And let's just say that next door were "lively" until 5am. As crude as it felt, were disturbed by moans, groans, bangs and pants all night. When I went downstairs in the morning I mentioned it to the front desk and they were very apologetic and promised to mention it to the people in the next room, as they really were very thoughtless. The lady at the desk was lovely and handled my comments beautifully, with compassion and kindness. We checked out just after 12pm and were seen off by smiles, waves and gestures to come again - and ourselves left with big smiles on our faces! Thanks to all at the Crowne Plaza for making that weekend so special, we'll be back again as soon as we can!

Kind regards

Matt and Sophie Taylor

Room Tip: Get there early to soak up the atmosphere and facilities, as we were sad that we had plans and could...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SophieKennerley

Dear SophieKennerley
Thank you for your review, my team and I are all so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked all the recent refurbishment of our bar, lounge, restaurant and reception to make it even more comfortable and stylish.
I am so sorry that you were disturbed by the couple in the next room; our interconnecting rooms all have double doors and are supposed to be soundproof, I will check this, as it is possible the other coupe had not got the door locked shut on their side.
I am pleased that our staff handled the situation so sensitively. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again very soon.