“Great location but hotel is nothing special”

Crowne Plaza London Kensington
Ranked #131 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great location but hotel is nothing special”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for 1 night at the beginning of March. There was some work going on in the foyer, staff were fine. Nothing extra special. Our room was fine although definitely not the best 4* I've stayed in, in London. Everything was clean enough, but not spotless. Shower over the bath, but no separate shower. Awfully placed loo roll holder though - as it gets sodden from the shower!

We had a corner room on the 6th floor and I can only imagine that the room was right next to a storage cupboard or something since there was extremely loud noices coming from the room (not a guest room) next door in the VERY early hours. Worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel. I now understand why there was a complimentary sleep kit on the bed!

For the price, I probably won't be returning to the Crowne Plaza Kensington in a rush. I'd rather book a budget chain hotel for the same experience and quality. Saying that, if you can get the room at a decent price, the hotel is fine (just not the amazing boutique hotel many booking sites and reviews would have you believe!) and the location was excellent, right next to Gloucester Road tube station and very close to many of London's museums.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TripMember04272015
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Loves2spooge
I am sorry that we were undergoing the final phase of our ground floor refurbishment during your stay with us. This is now complete and we have a much larger, brighter and more up to date reception lobby (most of this area would have been closed off behind a temporary wall whilst you were here). We have also refurbished our bar and lounge and have opened a new Asian restaurant, Umami, as part of this ground floor upgrade.
I do hope you will come back again and see the finished result.
Our standard bedrooms have a shower over the bath, but our Club rooms and suites have a separate shower cubicle as well as the over bath shower ( as well as many other benefits, including complimentary ise of the exclusive club lounge). Why not upgrade to one of these rooms next time.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 11 March 2012

People matter most! Location and hotel facilities are simply the best. However, I have a special remark: The Crowne Plaza Kensington Team! In almost 30 years coming to London, I've never had such a warm, personal service (by the way, I used to stay at The Landmark). It's impossible to describle the perfect service that my kids, my brother and I have received. From the bottom of my heart, my endless thankfulness to the entire staff: Tony, Karim, Giorgio, Alejandro, Ricardo, Daniela, Serkan, Ritesh... Please forgive me for not remembering all names, since housekeeping people, ladies at the reception desk, till the the topnotch service at the fantastic Asian restaurant. Now I definetlive have a home in London! God bless you all!

Room Tip: Anny room is great!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Oriovaldo Anton... T
Dear Oriovaldo
Thank you so much for your kind words which have been shared with all the team. we are all delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the personal service.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Derbyshire
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We arrived very early and although our room wasn't yet ready, we were able to check in and leave our bags with concierge at no extra cost.
When we arrived back after a trip to the Natural History Museum (which is less than 5 minutes down the road) we were surprised to find we had been upgraded to a club room (level 4). The room was spacious with good furniture and a massive bed. The TV was a bit tricky to work out - it kept going back to the pay-as-you-go movie channels - but other than that everything in the room was fab! There was a bath with a shower over it as well as a separate shower, robes & slippers and all the toiletries you could need. We even got the complimentary newspaper which we read whilst enjoying the yummy buffet breakfast.
I was very pleased with this hotel - the room, the service, the breakfast, the location - all brilliant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JossWanders
Dear Adams_Girl
Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.
I hope you got to try our new Asian restaurant, Umami, which offers a range of authentic Thai, Malaysian and Singaporean dishes in relaxed surroundings with design inspired by a Feng Shue master.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I travel to London 4 times a year, has always stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum Hotel. Due to a last minute change of schedule for an additional night in London, I decided to give the Crowne Plaza across the Cromwell street a try. Being a PC Platinum member, I was immediately upgraded to a suite on the first floor. Although the bedroom was a bit on the small side with the king bed occupying most space, it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The sofa in the living room, however, was a bit too soft for my taste. Although my room was next to the busy Cromwell street, the insulation seems to have done a good job of filtering the noise. I was very impressed with this hotel and will definitely return on my next trip to UK.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Analyst 1953
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I hop eyou will cintinue to use us on future visits to London when you want a little more luxury than the great Holiday Inn accross the road can offer.
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

This hotel has recently had a major refurbishment which has been done very well resulting in an opulent foyer and comfortable rooms. The location is excellent - just across the road from Gloucester Road tube. There are shops and restaurants all around. The staff were very helpful. We booked this as a secret hotel so got a very good deal but I suspect the price will go up soon. I would definitely return to this hotel. The rooms were quite large and well appointed with a wide range of tea/coffee/chocolate and there were plentiful toiletries in the bathroom which was smart and clean. The only problem was that the magnifying mirror on the wall was in a most inaccessible position over the sink. Sadly the window would not open and the heat/cool unit was not working, so even though it was March we were far too hot.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sooperstar 100
Thank you for your review. i am delighted that you liked the result of our re-furbished ground floor with the enlarged reception and upgraded bar, lounge and restaurant. ( we will shortly be upgrading the garden too).
I am sorry that you were unable to cool your room sufficiently, I have asked our engineer to check the air conditioning to ensure it is cooling properly, particularly now we are entering the warmer months ( at last).